LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Satyapriyananda
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2015
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
While copying VOB files from DVD to laptop it shows slicing error, Read/Write error.


I have some VOB files on DVD which run on DVD player. I wish to copy those files to hard disc of my computer for viewing on the computer. It gives slicing input/output error. How toget over this problem? Thanks in advance.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04. Hard disk 160 MB. There is also a 1TB hard disc.

There is also a 1GB ram.

I used the simple Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V method for copy paste.

The error was splicing error; read/write error.

I tried to play the VOB extension file using VLC latest update and it gave error message that it cannot read the file.

The DVD plays on DVD player, an unbranded Chinese model.

If you need any more information I shall try best to give.

VOB files do get copied. Perhaps there is a copy protection. I tried handbrake but failed. Some files open some give the splicing error. format Factory also failed. Bracero, I used to get iso file and then extracted the VOB files but they did not play. Finally I tried to an iso file for the whole disc but the size limit in Bracero was 4.3 GB. So I have given up. I shall try WINDOWS!

Last edited by Satyapriyananda; 01-10-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Submitting additional information.
 
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,841

Rep: Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyapriyananda View Post
I have some VOB files on DVD which run on DVD player. I wish to copy those files to hard disc of my computer for viewing on the computer. It gives slicing input/output error. How toget over this problem? Thanks in advance.
Please read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature. If you would like help, you need to provide DETAILS...things like version/distro of Linux, what kind of hardware, what you're typing/doing to copy those files, etc.

All we know is you're trying to copy a file, at this point.
 
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,275

Rep: Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342Reputation: 5342
We don't know what "slicing input/output error" means.

If it's text, can you paste it here?
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
veerain
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Earth bound to Helios
Distribution: Custom
Posts: 2,524

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
In windows you can copy a dvd video disc. But in linux you need a video disc copying app. Like mplayer, etc. Please do web search for it.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,841

Rep: Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008
Quote:
Originally Posted by veerain View Post
In windows you can copy a dvd video disc. But in linux you need a video disc copying app. Like mplayer, etc. Please do web search for it.
Sorry, wrong. Copying a file in Linux doesn't need any 'video disc copying app', and mplayer is NOT for copying files. Having a .VOB file on a disc is no different than having a text file or any other sort of file. You mount the DVD, and can even use a drag-n-drop file manager to copy the VOB's to your hard drive.

PLAYING the video file needs a video player (like mplayer), but just to copy a file requires nothing special.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
veerain
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Earth bound to Helios
Distribution: Custom
Posts: 2,524

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
But he says he can play the dvd in a dvd player. Definitely it's not a data dvd from which you can copy using linux cp command or from a file manager. And mplayer with mencoder is used for copying video cd and dvd's for sure.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
schneidz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: boston, usa
Distribution: fedora-35
Posts: 5,313

Rep: Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918
you can drag-and-drop encrypted vob's from one disk to another (they will remain encrypted and unplayable on the hard drive).

programs like mencoder are used to transcode audio/video from one format to another so that they are playable on a pc.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,841

Rep: Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008
Quote:
Originally Posted by veerain View Post
But he says he can play the dvd in a dvd player. Definitely it's not a data dvd from which you can copy using linux cp command or from a file manager.
Wrong. You can mount a DVD and copy the VOB files easily, if you ever tried to do it. I do it all the time with Dolphin, Konqueror, and/or the command line.
Quote:
And mplayer with mencoder is used for copying video cd and dvd's for sure.
mencoder is a converter, and has NOTHING to do with copying files...mplayer is a PLAYER, not for copying or converting.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #9
veerain
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Earth bound to Helios
Distribution: Custom
Posts: 2,524

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
Well I remember copying a vob file in linux is possible but when it is played it's just garbled data. I have not used recent file managers. I just used commands in terminal.
Also instead of displaying, mplayer can be used to dump video and audio to a avi file. And mencoder is used to transcode it to desired (may be compressed) format. Or even a pipe can be used. Also I know there are other nice cli as well as gui apps to these things easily.

Last edited by veerain; 01-10-2015 at 03:30 AM.
 
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,841

Rep: Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008
Quote:
Originally Posted by veerain View Post
Well I remember copying a vob file in linux is possible but when it is played it's just garbled data.
Sorry, wrong. You can play a VOB with mplayer or pretty much any other video player, if you have the codecs installed (which you would need, in order to play ANY DVD).
Quote:
I have not used recent file managers. I just used commands in terminal.
As said before, you can copy these files from command line or GUI file managers. You have also been able to do this for YEARS now, it has nothing to do with 'recent' file managers.
Quote:
Also instead of displaying, mplayer can be used to dump video and audio to a avi file.
Wrong. Again, mplayer is a PLAYER. The ONLY thing it can 'dump', is an INCOMING video stream (NOT from a file), to an output file. To go from VOB to a different format is not something mplayer does, and it never has.
Quote:
And mencoder is used to transcode it to desired (may be compressed) format. Or even a pipe can be used.
No idea what you're talking about here...what 'pipe' is needed/used for mencoder? Mencoder does transcoding from one format to another, period.
Quote:
Also I know there are other nice cli as well as gui apps to these things easily.
Such as what?
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
veerain
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Earth bound to Helios
Distribution: Custom
Posts: 2,524

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
Well I use a modified CLFS distro. I remember that a windows copied vob file played perfectly with mplayer. But I can't play a vob copied file in linux. There were special kernel drivers( out of tree) by which the same Windows functuionality can be had in linux.

mplayer along with -dumpstream command can be used to dump dvd video. See this link: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html
And I have done it myself.

Also mencoder part of mplayer can be used for ripping vcd/dvds. See this site: http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/men...ing-input.html

See the above link leading to mplayer.1.html; search that for pipe. Yes any video along with audio stream can be piped to mencoder for transcoding.

I use only the original mplayer from mplayerhq.hu site. There are some forks, I know of but don't know what newer/popular distro's use.

Some of Dvd ripping software are Acidrip, DVD::rip, handbrake, k9copy, thoggen, vlc and transcode. These easily found out in a web search.

Last edited by veerain; 01-10-2015 at 12:40 PM.
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,680

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
I tend to rip DVDs to my hard drive as .iso files -- this has the advantage of keeping in place any menus and the like and seems to work quite well. However, I have an odd problem (which a couple of others on this site have reported) that sometimes I can't seem to dd a DVD to my hard drive without first opening it in a media player. However, that is just a minor inconvenience and dd works just fine otherwise.
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,841

Rep: Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008Reputation: 8008
Quote:
Originally Posted by veerain View Post
Well I use a modified CLFS distro. I remember that a windows copied vob file played perfectly with mplayer. But I can't play a vob copied file in linux. There were special kernel drivers( out of tree) by which the same Windows functuionality can be had in linux.

mplayer along with -dumpstream command can be used to dump dvd video. See this link: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html
And I have done it myself.p
Great...so how about sharing what you did to perform this? Again, the -dumpstream command IS FOR DUMPING INCOMING STREAMS, such as from a TV capture card, to a file. NOT for transcoding.
Quote:
Also mencoder part of mplayer can be used for ripping vcd/dvds. See this site: http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/men...ing-input.html
This has already been said several times.
Quote:
See the above link leading to mplayer.1.html; search that for pipe. Yes any video along with audio stream can be piped to mencoder for transcoding.
Again, how about showing us/explaining what you mean??
Quote:
I use only the original mplayer from mplayerhq.hu site. There are some forks, I know of but don't know what newer/popular distro's use.
So do I..which is how I know what you're saying won't work.
Quote:
Some of Dvd ripping software are Acidrip, DVD::rip, handbrake, k9copy, thoggen, vlc and transcode. These easily found out in a web search.
Yes, they are....and when trying to answer the OP's question, it would be helpful to MENTION a few of them.
 
Old 01-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
schneidz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: boston, usa
Distribution: fedora-35
Posts: 5,313

Rep: Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
I tend to rip DVDs to my hard drive as .iso files -- this has the advantage of keeping in place any menus and the like and seems to work quite well. However, I have an odd problem (which a couple of others on this site have reported) that sometimes I can't seem to dd a DVD to my hard drive without first opening it in a media player. However, that is just a minor inconvenience and dd works just fine otherwise.
this is what i do:
Code:
schneidz@xbmc:~$ cat bin/dvdrescue.ksh # image copy of dvd including menues:
#!/bin/bash

 dvd=`lsdvd $1 | head -n 1 | awk '{print tolower($3)}' | sed s/_/-/g`
 lsdvd /dev/sr0 && ddrescue --no-split --verbose --block-size=2048 /dev/sr0 $dvd.iso


schneidz@xbmc:~$ cat bin/xvidenc-ac3-mkv.ksh # transcoding of each title to a smaller format:
#!/bin/bash
# saved output from xvidenc/h264enc
################### START OF COMMANDS ###################
dvd=`lsdvd $1 | grep "Disc Title:" | awk '{print tolower($3)}' | sed s/_/-/g`
#mkdir /home/xbmc/win/stuff/clips/$dvd
titles=`lsdvd $1 | grep ^Title: | cut -b 8-9 | tail -n 1`
i=1
if [ -n "$2" ]
then
 i=$2
 titles=$2
fi

while [ $i -le $titles ]
do

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -nosub -dvd-device $1 -o /dev/null -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:turbo:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -nosub -dvd-device $1 -o "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`".avi -ffourcc XVID -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=1000:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"

sleep 2

/usr/bin/mkvmerge   --title "$dvd-$title-ac3" --track-name 0:"$dvd-$title-ac3" --language 1:en --track-name 1:"AC3 5.1" "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.avi"      -o "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.mkv"
sleep 2
rm "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.avi" "$dvd-`zero-pad-2.x $i`.log"
i=`expr $i + 1`
done
#################### END OF COMMANDS ####################
the lsdvd calls libdvdcss2 which generates the encryption keys for the dvd and allows dd or mencoder to properly decode it.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,680

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Thanks for that, schneidz, I'll give lsdvd a try next time I purchase a DVD (which may be in the next few weeks). I've been using dcfldd for ripping recently as a replacement to dd since it shows progress to console.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD/DVD Creator shows an error message SAO error:unpredictable track size sarkhelmriganka Fedora 0 07-18-2009 04:50 AM
DVD copying of files - I/O error feedmehoney Linux - Desktop 1 07-10-2007 07:10 AM
k3b write error for dvd's (input/output) error mocean SUSE / openSUSE 3 06-27-2007 02:39 PM
DVD RW mounts and shows files but can't read Koppie Linux - Hardware 3 05-27-2007 10:51 AM
error DVD burning file with extension VOB on K3b Suse 9.2 workstation? suse2166 Linux - Software 0 04-20-2005 04:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration