-   Ubuntu (
-   -   Lucid: "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/kevin/.ICEauthority" (

4dummies 01-03-2011 11:30 PM

Lucid: "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/kevin/.ICEauthority"
Fairly recently, logins started to give a little dialog box saying
"Could not update ICEauthority file /home/kevin/.ICEauthority"

Clicking "close", things seem to proceed normally. The login and its desktop are usable. But this is annoying.

From ls -l .ICEauthority, I get
-rw------- 1 kevin kevin 30725 2010-11-13 19:49 .ICEauthority

I have tried renaming this file away, and still get the same message, so I
renamed it back.

I see another similar thread, but they couldn't finish logging in, and their fix does not apply to
me because my home directory is already 0755.
I have no idea what this file is for, or what to do about it.


tommcd 01-04-2011 09:51 PM

I did some searching on this issue, and all the info I could find points to a permissions issue with .ICEauthority.
Have you been running the system as root, or launching graphical apps with sudo?
See these threads for possible solutions:

jschiwal 01-04-2011 10:19 PM

Also check that you haven't run out of disk space.

phrazer 03-18-2011 08:06 AM

I had this issue this morning after reinstalling openSuSe 11.3 and resolved it by the following:

Open a SU terminal in /home/youruser

enter: chown yourusername:users .ICEauthority

This sets the ownership to yourusername:users

Reboot and all should be fine. There are quite a few solutions out there and most advise to chmod to 644 or 777 however a few experts have strictly advised against this as it opens the file to the world and is more of a brute work around than a solution with finesse.

If you use this advise please give me some rep, I would like to get off of zero :)

phantom21 06-25-2011 06:38 PM

I had this error message in Natty, your solution worked fine. Thanks


OPunWide 01-11-2012 03:46 PM

The way I fixed it...
My system crashed during an upgrade to Natty Narwhal. It refused to try to fix that, but instead wanted to go straight to Oneiric Ocelot. I crossed my fingers, having little other choice. Amazingly, it seemed to do the full upgrade. But then I found that I had this thread's issue.

I tried many of the suggested owner:group and permission fixes, but none had any effect. I couldn't get into Gnome, but I had SSH access, so I could make changes from there. The final fix for me was:

sudo apt-get install lxde

Then reboot (it went to lxde), and log in to Gnome to verify that it was working. Then because I didn't need it:

sudo apt-get autoremove lxde

That's all, and everything is fine now.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.