LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #61
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116

Quote:
/dev/hda1 * 1 9790 9790 78638175 7 HPFS/NTFS
This is the line for a bootable ntfs partition.

Reboot. Should come up in XP. If it doesn't, then use your XP recovery console (or whatever) and do an fdisk /mbr to again rewrite the master boot record (though it looks OK now).

edit: This of course presumes that your XP partition really is on hda1 and not on hda5.

Last edited by jiml8; 07-17-2007 at 12:58 PM.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #62
jthuber
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 10.2, OpenSUSE 10.2, Zenwalk 4.3
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Sorry I've been out this morning.

It sounds like you are already in much better hands than my own here. jiml8 has gone beyond me, but the advice he's offering here all makes perfect sense.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #63
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
Also if gparted continues to identify the partition as unknown either (a) gparted is hosed or (b) you did not save the changes to the mbrimage.bin file or (c) you did not write the mbrimage.bin file back to hda.

Changing the 00 to an 80 makes the partition bootable; changing the 15 to 07 identifies it as ntfs.
GParted still idientifies hda1 as unknown file system. I am sorry, but I believe I did everything just like you wrote. But wasn't there the possibility that this partition should be as almost in the beggining as hda5 from the extended partition hda1?
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #64
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Don't go back and edit a post after I've responded to it - particularly after you too have responded to it. Destroys coherency and pretty much guarantees that I'll miss the edit. Further, has the effect of suggesting that you had placed more information in the earlier post than you had in fact placed there.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #65
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
Don't go back and edit a post after I've responded to it - particularly after you too have responded to it. Destroys coherency and pretty much guarantees that I'll miss the edit. Further, has the effect of suggesting that you had placed more information in the earlier post than you had in fact placed there.
where did i do wrong?
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #66
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512upload
GParted still idientifies hda1 as unknown file system. I am sorry, but I believe I did everything just like you wrote. But wasn't there the possibility that this partition should be as almost in the beggining as hda5 from the extended partition hda1?
Yes, that has been the question, hasn't it.

Your original post identifies it as an extended partition but you later said that originally it wasn't identified as an extended partition but as a primary partition until you did something or other. The mods I had you make turned it into a physical partition.

If rebooting didn't work then some further diagnosis is required.

First of all, did this system ever boot into XP with the current partition structure (rather, the partition structure identified in your first post)?

edit: sorry; I am using "physical" and "primary" interchangeably when I am referring to partitions. I shouldn't do that, but when I do what I mean is "primary" partition.

Last edited by jiml8; 07-17-2007 at 01:09 PM.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #67
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
i now know that i should not edit the posts, but more important, what should I do now?

Have you read my post: "Today, 06:05 PM"?
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #68
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
Yes, that has been the question, hasn't it.

Your original post identifies it as an extended partition but you later said that originally it wasn't identified as an extended partition but as a primary partition until you did something or other. The mods I had you make turned it into a physical partition.

If rebooting didn't work then some further diagnosis is required.

First of all, did this system ever boot into XP with the current partition structure (rather, the partition structure identified in your first post)?

edit: sorry; I am using "physical" and "primary" interchangeably when I am referring to partitions. I shouldn't do that, but when I do what I mean is "primary" partition.
I believe so, but know that you ask me, maybe after going through the partitioning step of the Ubuntu installation, the system turned hda1 into hda1 extended and made the windows partition hda5 I don't know how.

But since I was able to mount the windows partition when it was hda5, maybe I need to make it back that way.

I had it like hda5 and it was mountable before I did the changes to menu.lst: the ones with lots of "hide"s.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #69
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512upload
i now know that i should not edit the posts, but more important, what should I do now?

Have you read my post: "Today, 06:05 PM"?
Yes.

Did you try to do an fdisk /mbr to reload the XP boot code again? With a screwed partition table, it might not have gone in right before.

Again, did this configuration ever successfully boot into XP? In other words, should we assume that hda1 is indeed an extended partition and the system is on hda5?
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #70
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I am a newbie, so, I don't know what to do know. Even to try and make hda1 extended and hda5 the windows partition, if that is the best thing to try...
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #71
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
And I repeat the question. Did this system, as configured, ever successfully boot into XP? Yes or no.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #72
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
Yes.

Did you try to do an fdisk /mbr to reload the XP boot code again? With a screwed partition table, it might not have gone in right before.

Again, did this configuration ever successfully boot into XP? In other words, should we assume that hda1 is indeed an extended partition and the system is on hda5?
I did not try any fdisk /mbr command: just the fixmbr as told before.

About:

"Again, did this configuration ever successfully boot into XP? In other words, should we assume that hda1 is indeed an extended partition and the system is on hda5?"

I believe so, regarding the fact that I was able to mount the xp partition when it was as hda5 while using the live cd just as I am doing now...
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #73
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
In any case, to change hda1 into an extended partition, repeat post 50 on this thread, but make this change:

Change the line:
Code:
01 01 07 fe ff ff c1 3e 00 00 be d8 5f 09 00 fe
to this:
Code:
01 01 05 fe ff ff c1 3e 00 00 be d8 5f 09 00 fe
When you do this, hda1 will be identified as an extended partition.

edit: Sorry. Error in original post. Correction is now in place

Last edited by jiml8; 07-17-2007 at 01:21 PM.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #74
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I must thank you for keeping trying to help me. I really appreciate it. It's not that anybody would do that.

EDIT

I'm gonna try that now.
 
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #75
512upload
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
You must have forgot something, because the two lines of code you just wrote down are exactly equal.

EDIT

I now read your correction

Last edited by 512upload; 07-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Boot w/ WinXP Pro, Windows wont boot. bobbyj99 Linux - General 2 04-20-2006 01:27 PM
Grub/Dual boot - Windows partition restored via dd won't boot pazzport Ubuntu 1 01-06-2006 01:29 PM
trying to dual boot windowsxp/fc2 using windows boot loader. dr_zayus69 Linux - Software 7 02-08-2005 11:59 PM
Dual Boot : Making Windows First Option in boot menu Maxwell Rain Linux - Software 3 11-27-2004 03:00 PM
Win98/Linux - dual boot : windows boot says logical drives exist past z ashpai Linux - Software 3 03-22-2001 09:00 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration