Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.


  Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #1
Registered: Dec 2004
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking SUSE 10 CD1 Boot Screen shows Walking Penguins, WTF

When I boot up the SUSE 10 CD1, every now and then for the boot loader I get a snow theme with walking penguins, no that wasn't a typo. Walking fuc*ing penguins! Now I've seen every thing.

Any how, what's the story behind that, can I get grub to do that? And why would the boot cd only do it every now and then instead of all the time? It boots it's normal default theme about 80% of the time, the other 20% I get penguins and snow.

I really want to make that my GRUB theme, that's freaking awesome.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Registered: Feb 2005
Location: Slovenia
Distribution: suse11.0
Posts: 749

Rep: Reputation: 31
I have the same "problem". Only I get a clock- not digital but a normal clock showing the exact time. It is maybe 1% of the time.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Distribution: Sabayon 3.5Loop2
Posts: 1,150

Rep: Reputation: 45
Check for a thread about that in here, something about an Easter Egg(software surprise for users given special conditions) it isn't unlike a Jack in the Box either. Either way, it is something the SuSE engineers did as a little prank.

If you want more info about why, do a google search, I think I saw a page with an interview of one of the dev team about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: It varies, but usually within 100 feet of a keyboard.
Distribution: Fedora 10, Kubuntu 8.04, Puppy 4.1.2, openSUSE 11.2
Posts: 1,126

Rep: Reputation: 51
Here is the other thread:


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackware cd1 won't boot thorney Linux - Newbie 6 07-14-2005 12:26 PM
Suse 9.2 PRO won't boot without CD1 in drive! Bencrest Linux - Newbie 6 11-30-2004 09:28 AM
I cannot boot CD1 or CD2, Suse 9.0 inspect Linux - Software 1 08-26-2004 12:35 PM
desktop shows on TV but movie shows black screen litrelord Mandriva 6 07-05-2004 06:10 AM
KDE Panel moves to center of screen after walking away for 10 mins... Whitehat Linux - General 2 04-30-2003 08:24 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration