LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Rep: Reputation: 38
Samsung Linux driver for SCX-4200, I need help installing.


SUSE Open 10.3. Samsung SCX-4200 printer!

Samsung has instructions for installing this driver but I just don't understand the jargon that they use.
I had this driver instaled on a previous installation of 10.3 so I know it works.

I need someone to just tell me in plain English exactly what to do.
Can you help?
 
Old 11-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Nick_Battle
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Bracknell, UK
Distribution: SUSE 13.1
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
Samsung has instructions for installing this driver but I just don't understand the jargon that they use.
It would help if you told us which bit doesn't make sense.

I installed a driver for a different Samsung printer recently using their Unified Linux Driver package, which is a largish tgz file of drivers for various printers.

As root, you unpack the tgz file, change directory into the top level and run a script (probably setup.sh from memory). I *think* I needed to change the first line of the script from "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash" as my distro doesn't have a /bin/sh. The script runs a GUI program that asks various questions about which driver you want to install. That's it.

Where do you have problems?

-nick
 
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Battle View Post
It would help if you told us which bit doesn't make sense.

I installed a driver for a different Samsung printer recently using their Unified Linux Driver package, which is a largish tgz file of drivers for various printers.

As root, you unpack the tgz file, change directory into the top level and run a script (probably setup.sh from memory). I *think* I needed to change the first line of the script from "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash" as my distro doesn't have a /bin/sh. The script runs a GUI program that asks various questions about which driver you want to install. That's it.

Where do you have problems?

-nick
This is the instructions on the Samsung site.


DR/200707/20070720152943906_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz
(size : 19989 KBytes / updated : 2007-11-14 )
build date : 2007-11-14 Unified Linux Driver

[Unified Linux Driver Install Guide]

1. Make sure that you connect your machine to your computer.
Turn both the computer and the machine on.

2. When the Administrator Login window appears, type in root in the Login field
and enter the system password.

3. Download and extract the driver
[root@localhost root]#tar xzf [Downloaded File Name(XXXX.tar.gz)]

I don't know what the above means because I don't understand the jargon.
Do I use the brackets, if not is there a space left or do you close the space. Is localhost just a term or do I replace that with something else?
I don't know how this would be actually typed.

I can download and extract the file to the desktop. From there I am lost!


4. The driver will be extracted as ''cdroot'' folder in current path.

5. Execute installation program.
[root@localhost root]#./cdroot/autorun

Do I type this exactly as it appears above, brackets and all?

6. When the welcome screen appears, click ''Next'' and proceed installation.
 
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Nick_Battle
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Bracknell, UK
Distribution: SUSE 13.1
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
3. Download and extract the driver
[root@localhost root]#tar xzf [Downloaded File Name(XXXX.tar.gz)]

I don't know what the above means because I don't understand the jargon.
Do I use the brackets, if not is there a space left or do you close the space. Is localhost just a term or do I replace that with something else? I don't know how this would be actually typed.
If the downloaded file name was "alongfilename.tar.gz", then you would just type:

Code:
tar -xzf alongfilename.tar.gz
All the "[root@localhost root]#" stuff is their shell prompt. Yours is probably just "#". You don't type that bit.

Quote:
5. Execute installation program.
[root@localhost root]#./cdroot/autorun

Do I type this exactly as it appears above, brackets and all?
No, the brackets are just part of the shell prompt again - they're using a complicated prompt to reinforce the idea that you have to be root. Your prompts will probably just be "#", so just type "./cdroot/autorun" after the "#" and return.

Note what I said about changing #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash. You may need to do this to both cdroot/autorun and to cdroot/Linux/install.sh. Do this before you run autorun - if you don't, it will say "/bin/sh: bad interpreter" - which is harmless, but annoying.

I hope you know how to edit a file :-)

HTH,
-nick
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
Nick I did what you said (under administrator/root). The download was successful, and it was installed. A window came up for installing the printer, I went through it's menus, it said congratulations successful install.
However it doesn't work. When I did a test in the menu it said, "Failed mfp:/dev/mfp4". I tried the mfp7 port and received the same message
Lost, any ideas?
 
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Nick_Battle
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Bracknell, UK
Distribution: SUSE 13.1
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
When I did a test in the menu it said, "Failed mfp:/dev/mfp4". I tried the mfp7 port and received the same message
Lost, any ideas?
Progress though!

I assume you're using CUPS? If you login to the cups server (root user/pwd if you need it), can you see the printer declared there? (point a web browser at http://localhost:631/printers/).

Now that you have some error messages, it should be easier to google for similar problems or ask more specific questions to get help with it. I'm no printer guru, alas. You should probably start a new thread if no one else answers here. Your initial problem is solved. Now you have a new one(!).

HTH,
-nick
 
Old 11-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
SCX4200 (Default Printer)
Description: SCX4200
Location:
Make and Model: Samsung SCX-4200 Series
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: mfp:/dev/mfp7

Nick, the above is the output. I am using CUPS. So you definitely solved the problem and added to my limited education in things that are Linux related.

I'll post a new message in the hardware section.

Thanks ever so much, when I get it working I'll come back print everything you said and put in my Linux folder.
 
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
Nick, I figured it out, at least in my mind !
When we downloaded and installed the drivers it created a new printer in YaST, but we still had the old setup that didn't work!! The old setup was considered primary/default, therefore "it still didn't work".

So I went into YaST and deleted both printer setups, in other words I then had no printer. Then I reinstalled the printer through YaST. This time the new/drivers for the SCX-4200 were in the YaST data base (we had installed them) so I just clicked on install, and BINGO everything is working fine !
Thanks again.
 
Old 11-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Nick_Battle
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Bracknell, UK
Distribution: SUSE 13.1
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
So I went into YaST and deleted both printer setups, in other words I then had no printer. Then I reinstalled the printer through YaST. This time the new/drivers for the SCX-4200 were in the YaST data base (we had installed them) so I just clicked on install, and BINGO everything is working fine!
That's good news. :-)

Cheers,
-nick
 
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 547

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
Cheers to you also Nick, I really appreciated the help, nothing better than a story with a "Happy" ending.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung SCX-4200 Configuration Issues Dymitry Linux - Hardware 1 04-04-2012 04:23 PM
Samsung SCX-4521F xbaez Linux - Hardware 2 01-29-2008 08:51 AM
Samsung SCX-4016 Failed port linderox Linux - Hardware 1 05-21-2007 12:28 AM
Samsung SCX-4x20 Network printer. tosszafer Linux - Hardware 0 03-21-2006 12:47 AM
LXer: Samsung SCX 4200 printer LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-15-2006 05:01 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration