LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   SUSE / openSUSE (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-opensuse-60/)
-   -   Intel 536ep modem problem SuSE 9.2 (no dialtone - but works in Windows!) (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-opensuse-60/intel-536ep-modem-problem-suse-9-2-no-dialtone-but-works-in-windows-327291/)

AtSymbol 05-26-2005 10:09 AM

Intel 536ep modem problem SuSE 9.2 (no dialtone - but works in Windows!)
 
Hi there,

Over the past couple of days I've been trying to connect using a PCI modem with the Intel 536ep chipset in SuSE 9.2. I've had a few problems doing so; I seem to have gotten around them (I've included what I've done so far below). At the moment, the modem is installed and can be accessed using KInternet or wvdial - however, I cannot connect as the modem reports 'No Dialtone'. This is strange, as all the connections are secure - a quick reboot into WinXP (not touching any wires or hardware) and the modem works fine and connects straight away. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!


Steps I've done so far and configuration:

1> The modem was detected and installed by SuSE as Intel536ep, I configured it using YaST.

2> Attempting to dial-in using KInternet did nothing - the modem speaker was not activated and the KInternet Status Log showed an "Error[2]".

3> Fished around in the forums a bit for help; downloaded latest drivers from Intel's website - [INTEL-536EP-4.69-SUSE91-UP.TGZ] - uninstalled SuSE drivers from YaST, deleted the /dev/modem link (to /dev/536ep0) YaST had created, and attempted to install the Intel drivers.

4> The command 'make 536' when attempting to install the Intel drivers did not work (I would give the complete error message here but unfortunately I do not have it). I eventually figured out that this was because I was running a 64-bit kernel and apparently this wasn't supported - I re-installed SuSE with the 32-bit kernel and the modem drivers compiled and installed fine.

5> I configured the modem using YaST. I had to configure the modem as 'Other', as when I tried to configure using the detected 'Intel536ep modem', SuSE wanted to install the on-disc drivers which I knew didn't work. The device is /dev/536ep (there is also a /dev/modem , which points to /dev/536ep. I have tried setting the device as /dev/modem but this hasn't worked). Detect dial-tone is on.

6> Attempted to connect using KInternet - the modem is accessed and the modem speaker 'clicks' as it is activated - however, there is no dialtone and the KInternet log reports a 'No Dialtone'. This is the same with wvdial. I'm not sure why this is, as the modem works and connects to my ISP when I reboot into WinXP (without touching any cables/hardware). Everything is definitely plugged in correctly.

7> Now I'm completely stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time :)

AtSymbol 05-26-2005 05:37 PM

Here's the output I get when I run wvdial, if this is any help (same as output from KInternet log):


--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Idle Seconds = 300, disabling automatic reconnect.
--> Sending: ATDT08089916271
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT08089916271
NO DIALTONE
--> No dial tone.
--> Disconnecting at Thu May 26 22:23:48 2022


I'd love to get this working.....

MartinZ 05-26-2005 05:46 PM

I don't know if this could happen because of the "winmodems", i never tried to run one from linux, but maybe this would be usefull:

http://linmodems.org/

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ullName=Linux*

AtSymbol 05-27-2005 10:21 AM

Cheers Martin, I'll have a look through those links. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.