LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Solaris / OpenSolaris (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/)
-   -   Solaris 10 - password expired, enter new password, access denied (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/solaris-10-password-expired-enter-new-password-access-denied-4175681434/)

Max_Naqish 09-02-2020 03:47 PM

Solaris 10 - password expired, enter new password, access denied
 
I am new to Solaris OS. I implementation few security polices on my solaris machine, after few days, it notifies --warning your password has expired, please change it now, Enter new password: (i gave every type of combination here), it says --Access denied--, enter password. -I tried all of my user-accounts.

I reset all passwords in /etc/password and shadow file (boot from CD and mount disk) I change values in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, /etc/default login and /etc/defaults/password 2x machines in cluster, both behaving same, services are running on 1x node other is being used for managing this issue. Please guide. Thanks.

More: I even commend (using # sign) /etc/default/login, /etc/default/passwd, /etc/ssh/sshd_config files for almost all entries. I, tried to reset passwords using /etc/shadow file by removing encrypted entries, it say to enter "new password" afterwards "Access denied" I am using putty to access machines. During implementation of polices, i disable following services as well: Telnet FTP finger sendmail rlogin

jlliagre 09-03-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Naqish (Post 6161896)
I am new to Solaris OS.

Never too late...
What Solaris 10 update are you running?
Quote:

I implementation few security polices on my solaris machine
Which one? Where did you find them?
Quote:

, after few days, it notifies --warning your password has expired, please change it now, Enter new password: (i gave every type of combination here)
Combination of what?
Quote:

, it says --Access denied--, enter password. -I tried all of my user-accounts.
Including root?
Quote:

I reset all passwords in /etc/password and shadow file (boot from CD and mount disk) I change values in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, /etc/default login and /etc/defaults/password 2x machines in cluster, both behaving same, services are running on 1x node other is being used for managing this issue.
What did you change exactly?
What cluster software?
Quote:

More: I even commend (using # sign) /etc/default/login, /etc/default/passwd, /etc/ssh/sshd_config files for almost all entries.
What did you comment? What did you left?
Quote:

I, tried to reset passwords using /etc/shadow file by removing encrypted entries, it say to enter "new password" afterwards "Access denied" I am using putty to access machines. During implementation of polices, i disable following services as well: Telnet FTP finger sendmail rlogin
What returns this command:

Code:

grep "^passwd:" /etc/nsswitch.con
?

Max_Naqish 09-05-2020 01:24 PM

Thanks a lot to all of you, issue has been resolved.
Solution:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unders...tcshadow-file/

Value at the 4th " : " of each user was mistakenly change to 91 days, that the reason system was not allowing me to change the password.

jlliagre 09-05-2020 04:19 PM

Thanks for the feed-back!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.