LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, and illumos.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here. Any Solaris fork or distribution is welcome.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
sco1984
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: openSUSE Leap
Posts: 137

Rep: Reputation: 15
How to install Solaris 10 in Solaris 11 zone?


Hello,

I followed 1 youtube video on creating zone & installing Solaris 10 but I don't no in my case how can I install Solaris 10 in newly created zone. Link to the video I referred >> http://goo.gl/FVitv .

In the video tutorial he used following path to begin Solaris 10 installation in zones >> zoneadm -z solaris-z1 install -F -u -a /net/cesspit.ireland/install/ON/flar/slu9_fcs.i386

FYI :- I installed Solaris 11 in virtualbox on my laptop. Not using any server as of now.

How can I download respective Solaris 10 installer? I have Solaris 10 i386 dvd iso with me.

Pls suggest.

Regards,
Amey.
 
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
sco1984
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: openSUSE Leap
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
Hello,

How can I download respective Solaris 10 installer? I have Solaris 10 i386 dvd iso with me.
After going through several docs at Oracle, I found the method to create a flar archive but this process is not good 1 >> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/...460/gjluq.html

It suggests to copy existing installed Oracle 10 OS to flar archive and restore the same image in zones.
This looks weird. It means :-

1)Sparc processor + Solaris 10 OS = only will run on zones on sparc processor.
2) Intel/AMD processor + Solaris 10 OS = only will run on zones on Intel/AMD processor.

Time consuming task for a beginner who don't have any Solaris 10 systems in hand.
 
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You could always create an x86 Solaris 10 system in VirtualBox, and create a flar archive from that. And since most people wont be running Solaris 10 zones on Solaris 11 hosts, there are not many that will run into this issue. Do you mind telling me why you are trying to run a Solaris 10 zone on a Solaris 11 box to begin with? What are you unable to do in a Solaris 11 zone that you can in a Solaris 10 zone?
 
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris 11.4, Oracle Linux, Mint, Tribblix, Ubuntu/WSL
Posts: 9,766

Rep: Reputation: 467Reputation: 467Reputation: 467Reputation: 467Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
After going through several docs at Oracle, I found the method to create a flar archive but this process is not good
Do you mean something is incorrect or just it isn't what you expected ?
Quote:
It suggests to copy existing installed Oracle 10 OS to flar archive and restore the same image in zones.
This looks weird. It means :-

1)Sparc processor + Solaris 10 OS = only will run on zones on sparc processor.
2) Intel/AMD processor + Solaris 10 OS = only will run on zones on Intel/AMD processor.
That's the very point branded zones. The goal is to consolidate existing servers in a newer machine. Whether you use OS level virtualization (like zones) or hardware virtualization, like OVM, VirtualBox or similar, the same CPU family is used. Otherwise performance would be awful.
Quote:
Time consuming task for a beginner who don't have any Solaris 10 systems in hand.
Then why aren't you installing Solaris 10 on physical or virtual hardware in the first place (like __sa__ already suggested) ?
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
sco1984
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: openSUSE Leap
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre View Post
Do you mean something is incorrect or just it isn't what you expected ?
That's the very point branded zones. The goal is to consolidate existing servers in a newer machine. Whether you use OS level virtualization (like zones) or hardware virtualization, like OVM, VirtualBox or similar, the same CPU family is used. Otherwise performance would be awful.Then why aren't you installing Solaris 10 on physical or virtual hardware in the first place (like __sa__ already suggested) ?
I am also considering feasibility studies.

I have lot of doubts regarding how to adjust ram,cpu settings when I actually will evaluate on blade's over vmware infrastructure + Intel xeon processors blades, DDR 3 ram.

I haven't been through any detailed docs at Oracle. I tried to locate them.
Unfortunately their are very few Sun systems engineers in my region who knows how to create zones & containers. Even local Sun engineers are not comfortable with zones & containers deployment in production environment.

Few doubts which I have as follows :-

- Is it possible to edit ram,cpu settings after flar is created?
- How can I edit disk settings after creating flar of Solaris 10?
- If I install Solaris 10 on vmware with attached SAN, Will I need to use same type of disk? i.e. SAS,SCSI? I am not sure how disk labeling will be maintained if I move flar on different type of disk storage.
- If I create flar of Solaris 10 on Sparc processor on T2000 server, I am supposed to used those flar's on same processor architecture & server type?

I have 2 scenario's.

- Many Sparc processor based servers [ various series ]
- vmware infrastructure

I prefer Sparc processor based servers for this technology upgrade because my application works on processor thread's. More the threads per core = better performance. Intel processor some how can't match that performance. We are still on UFS but want to shift to ZFS + Solaris 11 but at same time want Solaris 10 on UFS with Sun compilers which are bundled with few servers.

Regards,
Amey.

Last edited by sco1984; 06-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
sco1984
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: openSUSE Leap
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre View Post
Do you mean something is incorrect or just it isn't what you expected ?
Comparing with vmware infrastructure [ESXi] & usability, I found 'Zones & containers' technology tricky + time consuming & not generic. Too specific.
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
I am also considering feasibility studies.

I have lot of doubts regarding how to adjust ram,cpu settings when I actually will evaluate on blade's over vmware infrastructure + Intel xeon processors blades, DDR 3 ram.

I haven't been through any detailed docs at Oracle. I tried to locate them.
Unfortunately their are very few Sun systems engineers in my region who knows how to create zones & containers. Even local Sun engineers are not comfortable with zones & containers deployment in production environment.
We use zones in production all the time. They are stable, and perform extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
Few doubts which I have as follows :-

- Is it possible to edit ram,cpu settings after flar is created?
What do physical hardware spec's have to do with FLAR's? FLAR's are CPIO archives of an operating system that you are pushing to a root drive. My understanding is that as long as you are not changing CPU architecture (sun4u, sun4v), then the amount of memory or CPU's shouldn't matter as there is no hardware specific setup associated with a FLAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
- How can I edit disk settings after creating flar of Solaris 10?
In what way? adding zpool's? If you are using UFS I cannot help you with that as I didn't start using Solaris until zfs root's came about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
- If I install Solaris 10 on vmware with attached SAN, Will I need to use same type of disk? i.e. SAS,SCSI? I am not sure how disk labeling will be maintained if I move flar on different type of disk storage.
- If I create flar of Solaris 10 on Sparc processor on T2000 server, I am supposed to used those flar's on same processor architecture & server type?
Yes. There is no way to switch between architecture's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1984 View Post
I have 2 scenario's.

- Many Sparc processor based servers [ various series ]
- vmware infrastructure

I prefer Sparc processor based servers for this technology upgrade because my application works on processor thread's. More the threads per core = better performance. Intel processor some how can't match that performance. We are still on UFS but want to shift to ZFS + Solaris 11 but at same time want Solaris 10 on UFS with Sun compilers which are bundled with few servers.

Regards,
Amey.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global to Local Zone Solaris AzraelShade Solaris / OpenSolaris 4 07-06-2009 03:12 PM
Zone forward in solaris dns shan_nathan Solaris / OpenSolaris 1 05-01-2009 04:53 PM
Solaris zone duplication Energ Solaris / OpenSolaris 2 08-29-2008 03:18 AM
Zone configuration on Trusted Solaris 10 pranavojha Solaris / OpenSolaris 2 03-27-2008 04:34 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration