LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
From CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT:


That's most likely the reason you had permission problems from messagebus when trying to mount your usb stick via konqueror, so you can probably put that one down to user error too.


As for the rest of your criticism/rant on linux. I'll just assume you let your frustration get the better of you and not comment on them further, suffice to say that I don't share your opinion or conclusions.
OK. Where do I find out about groups? and where is CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT?
 
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
GazL
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 5,542
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384Reputation: 3384
"Changes and hints" and a lot of other good documentation is in the root directory of the install disk, or on the slackware ftp servers if you don't have your install disk to hand.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #18
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I have the install disk to hand...thanks. I'll read on.

I still have no idea how to establish the connection to the Internet via the modem such that Firefox within KDE recognizes it. I'm using ppp-go to make the connection, however, even console apps, like BitchX don't seem to find it.

Any suggestions?
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Well, I appear to be flying solo on this one.

I'm wondering if there isn't an issue with the ppp daemon. It would appear, based upon viewing bootlog, that it is not being loaded. Is there any way to determine if it has been loaded, and if not, how to ensure it is loaded at boot time. What is the method to load the daemon after boot?
 
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
gnashley
Amigo developer
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,899

Rep: Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579
ppp-on and ppp-off (and others) control that unless you set up on-demand dialing. You can use 'ping'(ping google.com) to find out if a good connection is being made. Do not mix KDE ppp tools with your use of pppsetup or ispetup or neither will work.
Do you have firewall running?
 
Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #21
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,441

Rep: Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028
I think that you should be using KPPP to do this. It really is easier, although I do recall that it can be intimidating.
Excuse me if this is out of date, but I am referring to an old box running Slackware 11.0, so things may have changed a little.
As the root user, start a KDE session and then start KPPP.
Hit "Configure..."
On the "Modems" tab do "New" ( or "Edit" your existing setup).
On the "Device" tab enter a Name e.g. Hayes, Modem device /dev/modem, Flow control Hardware [CRTSCTS], Line termination CR, Connection speed 115200 ( or maximum that your serial port supports), check Use lock file and set Modem timeout to 60 sec.
On the "Modem" tab, check Wait for dial tone before dialling, set Busy wait to 0 sec and Modem volume to mid range. Now hit "Modem Commands". As you have a Hayes modem, then the default Hayes commands should be OK, but for initial setup, set the Pre-init delay, Post-init delay and Dialing speed to maximum. You can cut these back later to shorten the connect time, but at this time you want to be sure that you can get things to work. Hit OK when done, and you will return to the "Modem" tab. Now hit "Query modem". This should connect to your modem. If it does not, then open a shell window, and type 'ls -l /dev/modem'. This should be a symlink to /dev/ttyS0. If it is not, then create it with 'ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem' and try "Query modem" again. To this point all that has happened is to set up communication between the computer and the modem via the serial connection. You should now be able to hit "Terminal..." and type command such as ATZ that will be sent to the modem and you should get a response OK.

To actually connect to the internet, you will need to set up your account information from your ISP under the "Accounts" tab in KPPP. On the "Dial" tab you name your connection, enter the dialup phone number, set your Authentication type (often PAP), get KPPP to store your password ( or leave this clear iuntil you are happy that all is OK), set Callback type to None and do NOT Customize pppd Arguments.
On the "IP" tab, set Dynamic IP address if your ISP uses DHCP (like the vast majority).
On the "Gateway" tab, set the Configuration to Default gateway and check Assign the default route to this gateway.
On the "DNS" tab, check Automatic if your ISP uses DHCP. Alternatively you can set Manual and provide DNS server addresses if you want to set these.

This should be all that is required to set up a basic dialup connection using KPPP.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnashley View Post
ppp-on and ppp-off (and others) control that unless you set up on-demand dialing. You can use 'ping'(ping google.com) to find out if a good connection is being made. Do not mix KDE ppp tools with your use of pppsetup or ispetup or neither will work.
Do you have firewall running?
I have no idea re firewall, and no clue as to where it might be nor how to find it.

Secondly, if I wanted to try out the two different techniques, what files are created that would conflict? I notice when I run ispsetup that it deletes resolv.conf in /etc. Apparently that file is created when netconfig is run. And in regard running netconfig, it suggests settup up loopback if dialup is going to be used. The result then is that resolv.conf has merely the host name of my PC, which apparently can be anything, and further has zero effect on anything.

In my explorations, I finally discovered Midnight Commander. It would have been of immense assistance had anyone mentioned this fine tool. It is the equivalent of the old Qfiler program for MS-DOS and the current Total Commander for MS Windows.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #23
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
I think that you should be using KPPP to do this. It really is easier, although I do recall that it can be intimidating.
Excuse me if this is out of date, but I am referring to an old box running Slackware 11.0, so things may have changed a little.
As the root user, start a KDE session and then start KPPP.
Hit "Configure..."
On the "Modems" tab do "New" ( or "Edit" your existing setup).
On the "Device" tab enter a Name e.g. Hayes, Modem device /dev/modem, Flow control Hardware [CRTSCTS], Line termination CR, Connection speed 115200 ( or maximum that your serial port supports), check Use lock file and set Modem timeout to 60 sec.
On the "Modem" tab, check Wait for dial tone before dialling, set Busy wait to 0 sec and Modem volume to mid range. Now hit "Modem Commands". As you have a Hayes modem, then the default Hayes commands should be OK, but for initial setup, set the Pre-init delay, Post-init delay and Dialing speed to maximum. You can cut these back later to shorten the connect time, but at this time you want to be sure that you can get things to work. Hit OK when done, and you will return to the "Modem" tab. Now hit "Query modem". This should connect to your modem. If it does not, then open a shell window, and type 'ls -l /dev/modem'. This should be a symlink to /dev/ttyS0. If it is not, then create it with 'ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem' and try "Query modem" again. To this point all that has happened is to set up communication between the computer and the modem via the serial connection. You should now be able to hit "Terminal..." and type command such as ATZ that will be sent to the modem and you should get a response OK.

To actually connect to the internet, you will need to set up your account information from your ISP under the "Accounts" tab in KPPP. On the "Dial" tab you name your connection, enter the dialup phone number, set your Authentication type (often PAP), get KPPP to store your password ( or leave this clear iuntil you are happy that all is OK), set Callback type to None and do NOT Customize pppd Arguments.
On the "IP" tab, set Dynamic IP address if your ISP uses DHCP (like the vast majority).
On the "Gateway" tab, set the Configuration to Default gateway and check Assign the default route to this gateway.
On the "DNS" tab, check Automatic if your ISP uses DHCP. Alternatively you can set Manual and provide DNS server addresses if you want to set these.

This should be all that is required to set up a basic dialup connection using KPPP.
At this juncture, I am intimately familiar with most aspects of Kppp and related. The problem is not with the setup, nor with dialing, nor with the modem connecting. It does so. It is that after the connection, nothing happens. The graph available, as well as TX and RX lights on the modem indicate transmit only with no receive. This has been the problem from the outset.

Secondarily, and a question still not answered is if I use ispsetup to create the files required to make the connection, then do ppp-on, the connection is made, however, I'm in CLI mode. If I then startx and initiate KDE, no software within KDE recognizes the connection. How do I make the software within KDE recognize the connection? Note, that even if I can accomplish that, I suspect I will get the same results as noted, namely that there will be no traffic.
 
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #24
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,441

Rep: Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028
OK- You say that you can get a connection with the hardware. Perhaps there is a networking problem that is stopping packets entering your system.
What is the output of 'ifconfig'? You should have a ppp0 interface.
Can you ping your ISPs DNS server addresses?
Are you running a firewall? Perhaps there is an issue with firewall rules.
Perhaps there is a routing problem. What is the output of 'route'?
 
Old 03-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #25
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
OK- You say that you can get a connection with the hardware. Perhaps there is a networking problem that is stopping packets entering your system.
What is the output of 'ifconfig'? You should have a ppp0 interface.
Can you ping your ISPs DNS server addresses?
Are you running a firewall? Perhaps there is an issue with firewall rules.
Perhaps there is a routing problem. What is the output of 'route'?
First. Since I got no response in re what files are created by ispsetup versus Kppp configure that causes both apparently to be non-functional, my only recourse was to re-install Slackware from scratch. Following that, I installed the ispsetup script and ran that. Interestingly, at the end of that script was the statement to in order to make the dialup connection to use yawmppp in Amigo. Uh, right.

Regardless, I did startx/KDE, opened a terminal window and ran ispsetup then ppp-go. That script logged the following:
Code:
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
PAP authentication succeeded
local IP (valid dynamically assigned URL)
remote IP (same)
primary DNS (same)
secondary DNS (same)
Next I ran ifconfig which produced the following:
Code:
lo     Link encap: Local Loopback
     inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
     inet6 addr:  :: 1/128  Scope: Host
     (etc for loopback)

ppp0  Link encap: Point-to-Point Protocol
     inet addr (the assigned local URL) P-t-P = remote Mask: 255.255.255.255
     UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric: 1
     RX packets: 3 errors: 1 Dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
     TX packets: 6 errors: 0 Dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier:0
     collisions: 0  tx queuelen:3
     RX bytes :66 (66.0 b) TX bytes: 255 (255.0 b)
a ping with a count of 5 sent to the remote IP yielded
Code:
5 packets transmitted 0 received 100% loss
a ping with a count of 5 sent to the primary DNS yielded the same

The following was received from the route command:
Code:
destination (the remote IP) Gateway *  Genmask 255.255.255.255
Flags UH Metric 0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface ppp0
Two major questions remain. How do I determine if there is a firewall and how do I determine if it is running?

Secondly, how do I get applications within KDE to recognize the dialup connection if I don't use Kppp to establish the connection?
 
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #26
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,441

Rep: Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028
Quote:
How do I determine if there is a firewall and how do I determine if it is running?
'iptables -L' plus other appropriate options will list any firewall rules currently in use.
If you have done a fresh install, then I suspect that you do not a firewall running.

Quote:
Secondly, how do I get applications within KDE to recognize the dialup connection if I don't use Kppp to establish the connection?
The applications wanting internet access should find the 'ppp0' interface.

Quote:
RX packets: 3 errors: 1 Dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX packets: 6 errors: 0 Dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier:0
This concerns me a little, especially as your ping packets also show a 100% loss.
Some receive and transmit errors can occur, but this seems to be too many. This may be a hardware problem, yet you say that this all works without any problem with Windows. Puzzling.
If you connect from Windows, what is the output of 'ipconfig' and 'route -print'?

One other thing, you refer to "ispsetup". Have you tried "pppsetup"?

Last edited by allend; 03-25-2009 at 07:46 PM.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #27
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
'iptables -L' plus other appropriate options will list any firewall rules currently in use.
If you have done a fresh install, then I suspect that you do not a firewall running.
I'll check it, however, I suspect you are correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
The applications wanting internet access should find the 'ppp0' interface.
That's what I assumed, however, so far, none seem to find it, those being Firefox and Konqueror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
This concerns me a little, especially as your ping packets also show a 100% loss.
Some receive and transmit errors can occur, but this seems to be too many. This may be a hardware problem, yet you say that this all works without any problem with Windows. Puzzling.
If you connect from Windows, what is the output of 'ipconfig' and 'route -print'?
Indeed...and this has been the problem from the outset. I know there are means to determine what operating system someone is using...I'm wondering if my ISP has some sort of a block on against Linux systems, or if there is some rather clandestine communications that Windows Op Sys' have. The ISP is Yahoo accessed via AT&T.

Here's the results of the Windows 2000 Pro queries:

Code:
PPP adapter Yahoo:

     Connection-specific DNS suffix . :
     IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  :12.73.96.166
     Subnet Mast . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:255.255.255.255.255
     Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . .:12.73.96.166
and of course the results of the ping to the primary DSN indicates an active connection the only variation from 5 pings being the time of the exchange.

"route -print" showed a lot of data, however, the IP addr 12.73.96.166 was repeated througout. I could copy it if it would help, but I suspect not.



Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
One other thing, you refer to "ispsetup". Have you tried "pppsetup"?
In a prior post in this thread a member suggested I use a script he created based upon pppsetup which apparently would deal more properly with dynamic assignments. Originally I used pppsetup, however, from the outset, the problem has remained the same.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #28
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,441

Rep: Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028
Have you tried lowering the baud rate? Perhaps you need to lower the baud rate in your linux setup. I note that you mention connect speeds of 24 or 26.4 kbps in your original post.
 
Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Gonzo146
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Deep South Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
Have you tried lowering the baud rate? Perhaps you need to lower the baud rate in your linux setup. I note that you mention connect speeds of 24 or 26.4 kbps in your original post.
Baud rate is set identically to the set in W2K...115,200, and I have set it lower to experiment. The results are the same...transmit, no receive, and as well, none of the applications within KDE recognize the connection.
 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #30
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,441

Rep: Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028Reputation: 2028
At this point I would pull out the multimeter and check my cable. What you are describing is the symptoms of a system that is not receiving the signals on the DCD line.
From http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...odem-dumb.html
Quote:
Once an incoming call is established the modem raises the Data Carrier Detect control line. Only when DCD is high is received data valid (data receieved from a dumb modem when DCD is not asserted is probably line noise). Only when DCD is high is transmitted data passed through the link.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scanf anomaly barunparichha Linux - Newbie 8 08-13-2006 11:03 AM
strlen anomaly barunparichha Linux - Newbie 6 08-10-2006 01:16 PM
CUPS anomaly barunparichha Linux - Software 0 07-03-2006 01:58 AM
PDF Writer anomaly corster Linux - General 1 06-02-2006 12:31 AM
FC2T1 sound anomaly... MadOtis Fedora 1 03-23-2004 07:58 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration