LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867

Wait, haven't you said that you have installed the packages, but they don't work?
Now you are saying that you wasn't even able to run the first command?

Anyways, have you put your Slackware DVD into your DVD-drive (which is of course needed to mount that disc)?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Wait, haven't you said that you have installed the packages, but they don't work?
Now you are saying that you wasn't even able to run the first command?

Anyways, have you put your Slackware DVD into your DVD-drive (which is of course needed to mount that disc)?
Sorry if I confused you. I am a little confused myself (actually I am very confused). I'm not really sure about the linux dialog. I typed exactly what you said. The first command gave me problems but after that I was able to download the 2 updates you wanted me to. Not sure what the heck is going on. Problem child over here! haha!

Yes. When I did what you said I had the DVD in the DVD-drive. =) I currently don't have an OS on the computer so I can't download the drivers from the AMD site. grrr! Am I a lost cause?
 
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
Wait a minute, if you don't have an OS on the computer, how do you install the packages? Do you mean that you don't have a GUI?
If so, do this to install the drivers from AMD:
1. Change to root:
Code:
su -
2. Download the drivers:
Code:
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run
3. Run the installer:
Code:
bash amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run
4. Create the initial configuration:
Code:
aticonfig --initial
5. Reboot:
Code:
reboot
 
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Wait a minute, if you don't have an OS on the computer, how do you install the packages? Do you mean that you don't have a GUI?
If so, do this to install the drivers from AMD:
1. Change to root:
Code:
su -
2. Download the drivers:
Code:
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run
3. Run the installer:
Code:
bash amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run
4. Create the initial configuration:
Code:
aticonfig --initial
5. Reboot:
Code:
reboot
I get the following error:
--2012-03-20 00:19:19-- http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/am...x86.x86_64.run
Resolving www2.ati.com (www2.ati.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address "www2.ati.com

Could it be because I didn't set up my network during the install?
 
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
Of course, you have to set up the network to download anything from the net. Plug in your network cable and run
Code:
netconfig
as root. Type in something you like for hostname and domainname and set the system to use DHCP, this should work in most cases when you have broadband connection with a router.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #21
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Of course, you have to set up the network to download anything from the net. Plug in your network cable and run
Code:
netconfig
as root. Type in something you like for hostname and domainname and set the system to use DHCP, this should work in most cases when you have broadband connection with a router.
Sweet! It worked! Thank you so much for the help. The good thing is I learned A LOT about linux. Thank you again!
 
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
You are welcome. Happy Slackin!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Office will not install on factory install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on Dell Mini 10 trekgirl Linux - Laptop and Netbook 6 08-01-2009 11:37 PM
Uncertain how to configure/install packages & compiler before install VMware on FC8. Azazwa Linux - Newbie 1 03-28-2009 07:27 PM
Ubuntu as frugal install, iso install, img install? impossible? nooby Ubuntu 15 08-22-2008 05:49 AM
Red Hat Linux 9 install: error "No devices found to install ... gunneszz Red Hat 1 03-10-2008 04:52 AM
apt-get install dependency problems with hplip software and kde install for Agnula maybi7 Linux - Software 1 02-03-2007 05:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration