LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help with install


Hello Slackware peeps. I am fairly new to linux and had done a ton of reading via the internet about different distros and what a beginner should try first. I won't delve into that much seeing as that's not important. But what came of it is slackware. I had read a few places that slackware is a good distro to start with because it forces you to learn linux and me being a glutton for punishment, well, I'm here....

Question is. I installed slackware. Everything went pretty swell and I was prompted to restart my computer. When I restarted I got this flashing message...

grub:

That was it. Nothing more. Nothing less. I googled it for awhile and came up with no answers. Any ideas? I tried to go through the prompts again and reinstall slackware but now it says (during FULL install) packages are damaged. grrr.

Help please.
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
lisle2011
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada (Metro Vancouver)
Distribution: Slackware 2.6.33.4-smp
Posts: 183
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 25
Slackware INstall Goes awry

Well nothing is perfect. But if you could answer a couple of questions perhaps we can get you going.

Were did you get the Slackware distro, did you download the ISO's and burn your own disks?

Was there a previous installation of some other OS on your system?

Every time I have installed a default Slackware install (that is a install everything option) it usually prompts me to install lilo, that is a Linux Loader, always works perfectly every time. So grub!

So it does seem like there is a boot loader already installed and it is not lilo. Give me some feedback and let's get you going.

Last edited by lisle2011; 03-15-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: missed word
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I had Archbang on there. I successfully got that going but from there didn't know what the heck was going on. lol.

It asked me about downloading lilo too but in the prompt it said that downloading it can cause problems and I got scared and said NO! Now I regret doing that. Oh, and I used a DVD that I bought from Slackware directly.

I really appreciate the help. I can't wait to get Slack going!!!

Last edited by emeisner; 03-16-2012 at 09:09 PM.
 
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
ok

Ok I think I figured it out. At least I got it to download correctly. I do seem to have another problem though. Upon boot, I get the slackware linux start up menu, where it asks which OS I would like to boot in. Well, when I click linux it scrolls through a bunch of info and I get this message:

Welcome to Linux 2.6.37.6-smp (tty1)
darkstar login:

I'm assuming that's my root log in. So I log in and then I get root@darkstar:`#. I watched a few youtube videos and none of them went through this. They just booted onto the desktop then configured. Now, the only thing I skipped was the network setup because I wasn't sure at the moment. Could that be the issue?

Please don't be that hard on me. ha! I am an extreme newbie but want to be a SLACKER! =)

Thanks for any info you all can provide.
 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,616
Blog Entries: 34

Rep: Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797Reputation: 2797
Member response

Hi,

Welcome to LQ & Slackware!

First thing would be to use 'adduser' to create a new user. Be sure to add the user to the groups;
Code:
users floppy audio video cdrom plugdev power netdev burning
You will get the suggested users group after adding the new user to the 'users' group by pressing the Up-arrow at the next prompt to get the suggested groups(editable line). Please note the prompts as you go through the 'adduser' script.

The new user(s) will be the normal operational user(s) for your system. Maintenance will require 'root'.

For your network, Configuring your network in Slackware is Alien_Bob's excellent article on the way network cards are configured in Slackware. Loads of internal reference links for Ethernet & Wireless.

Two good references SlackwareŽ Essentials & SlackwareŽ Basics.

Another useful resource would be 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

Welcome to LQ & Slackware!

First thing would be to use 'adduser' to create a new user. Be sure to add the user to the groups;
Code:
users floppy audio video cdrom plugdev power netdev burning
You will get the suggested users group after adding the new user to the 'users' group by pressing the Up-arrow at the next prompt to get the suggested groups(editable line). Please note the prompts as you go through the 'adduser' script.

The new user(s) will be the normal operational user(s) for your system. Maintenance will require 'root'.

For your network, Configuring your network in Slackware is Alien_Bob's excellent article on the way network cards are configured in Slackware. Loads of internal reference links for Ethernet & Wireless.

Two good references SlackwareŽ Essentials & SlackwareŽ Basics.

Another useful resource would be 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!

Woohoo! Ok. Thanks for the help. After I did that and tried to boot. It says I have a fatal server error: no screens found! wth. So I am not able to startx. Would have been something that I did at install?
 
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This is the full message, if it helps:

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Mar 17 22:59:37 2012
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(EE) RADEON(0): Chipset: "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series" (ChipID = 06739) requires KMS
(EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found


What do you think? I have been looking through the Slackware essentials book. hmmmm.
 
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
lisle2011
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada (Metro Vancouver)
Distribution: Slackware 2.6.33.4-smp
Posts: 183
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 25
Can't find usable display

fbdev is deprecated I believe at least in slackware.

check out /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

Should like kinda like this




!
!
!
!
!






DisplayManager.authDir: /var/lib/xdm
DisplayManager.errorLogFile: /var/log/xdm.log
DisplayManager.pidFile: /var/run/xdm.pid
DisplayManager.keyFile: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager*resources: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager.willing: su nobody -c /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
! X terminals may not be configured that way, so they will require
! individual resource settings.
DisplayManager._0.authorize: true ------------------------------------------- this line needs to exist for sure
!
DisplayManager*chooser: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/chooser
DisplayManager*startup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*session: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*reset: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset

DisplayManager*authComplain: true
! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
DisplayManager._0.setup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._0.reset: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

DisplayManager*loginmoveInterval: 10

! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

then change to /etc/X11/xinit and type ./xinit.kde and all should be well providing the line I indicated above is there.
 
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
The drivers in Slackware 13.37 are not working correctly with the Radeon HD6800 series, you either have to use the proprietary AMD drivers or update your Mesa/libdrm packages with the ones from the /testing branch of the repository.
 
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisle2011 View Post
fbdev is deprecated I believe at least in slackware.

check out /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

Should like kinda like this




!
!
!
!
!






DisplayManager.authDir: /var/lib/xdm
DisplayManager.errorLogFile: /var/log/xdm.log
DisplayManager.pidFile: /var/run/xdm.pid
DisplayManager.keyFile: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager*resources: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager.willing: su nobody -c /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
! X terminals may not be configured that way, so they will require
! individual resource settings.
DisplayManager._0.authorize: true ------------------------------------------- this line needs to exist for sure
!
DisplayManager*chooser: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/chooser
DisplayManager*startup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*session: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*reset: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset

DisplayManager*authComplain: true
! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
DisplayManager._0.setup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._0.reset: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

DisplayManager*loginmoveInterval: 10

! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

then change to /etc/X11/xinit and type ./xinit.kde and all should be well providing the line I indicated above is there.

Thanks. That didn't seem to work. It say's I don't have permission. In root or regular log in.
 
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
The drivers in Slackware 13.37 are not working correctly with the Radeon HD6800 series, you either have to use the proprietary AMD drivers or update your Mesa/libdrm packages with the ones from the /testing branch of the repository.
Yeah, I'm new to this so I have no idea what you are saying. Can you explain a little more for me please? How do I go about doing that?
 
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
Open a terminal and mount your Slackware DVD:
Code:
su -
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt
Then navigate to the testing repository:
Code:
cd /mnt/testing/packages
Now install the newer Mesa and libdrm packages:
Code:
upgradepkg libdrm*.t?z
upgradepkg mesa*.t?z
Now reboot the machine and try it again with
Code:
startx
 
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Open a terminal and mount your Slackware DVD:
Code:
su -
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt
Then navigate to the testing repository:
Code:
cd /mnt/testing/packages
Now install the newer Mesa and libdrm packages:
Code:
upgradepkg libdrm*.t?z
upgradepkg mesa*.t?z
Now reboot the machine and try it again with
Code:
startx
Dang! I get the same error code!
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867Reputation: 4867
I wonder why, that has worked for me and my Radeon HD 6870.
Anyways, the next option would be to download the proprietary driver from the AMD website and install that, that should work in any case.
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
emeisner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Open a terminal and mount your Slackware DVD:
Code:
su -
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt
Then navigate to the testing repository:
Code:
cd /mnt/testing/packages
Now install the newer Mesa and libdrm packages:
Code:
upgradepkg libdrm*.t?z
upgradepkg mesa*.t?z
Now reboot the machine and try it again with
Code:
startx
well when I type mount /dev/sr0 /mnt I get the following message:

mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Office will not install on factory install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on Dell Mini 10 trekgirl Linux - Laptop and Netbook 6 08-01-2009 11:37 PM
Uncertain how to configure/install packages & compiler before install VMware on FC8. Azazwa Linux - Newbie 1 03-28-2009 07:27 PM
Ubuntu as frugal install, iso install, img install? impossible? nooby Ubuntu 15 08-22-2008 05:49 AM
Red Hat Linux 9 install: error "No devices found to install ... gunneszz Red Hat 1 03-10-2008 04:52 AM
apt-get install dependency problems with hplip software and kde install for Agnula maybi7 Linux - Software 1 02-03-2007 05:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration