LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware - Installation (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/)
-   -   14.2 install goes normally, but will not reboot, gives grub command line instead (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/14-2-install-goes-normally-but-will-not-reboot-gives-grub-command-line-instead-4175692274/)

porphyry5 03-28-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier Spaier (Post 6234654)

Thank you for this info, but I prefer to learn from this manual diagnosis and repair process.

colorpurple21859 03-28-2021 04:18 PM

You may have to use a newer kernel than what is in 14.2. I was looking through other threads with a similar problem, and came across one where slackware-current would boot, but slackware 14.2 wouldn't.
that should have been
Code:

mkinitrd -c -k 4.4.14 -f ext4 -w 15 -r /dev/mmcblk0p2 -m usb-storage:xhci-hcd:mmc_core:sdhci:sdhci-pci:xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:ext4:cqhci:uas:mmc_block -u -o /boot/initrd.gz

Didier Spaier 03-28-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porphyry5 (Post 6235065)
Thank you for this info, but I prefer to learn from this manual diagnosis and repair process.

np. Anyway I wrongly assumed this machine had a NVMe drive but it has an eMMC.

colorpurple21859 03-29-2021 09:53 AM

For the cqhci driver you will need the 4.19 kernel or newer.

porphyry5 03-29-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 (Post 6235078)
You may have to use a newer kernel than what is in 14.2. I was looking through other threads with a similar problem, and came across one where slackware-current would boot, but slackware 14.2 wouldn't.
that should have been
Code:

mkinitrd -c -k 4.4.14 -f ext4 -w 15 -r /dev/mmcblk0p2 -m usb-storage:xhci-hcd:mmc_core:sdhci:sdhci-pci:xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:ext4:cqhci:uas:mmc_block -u -o /boot/initrd.gz

Thank you so much for your help. This mkinitrd gives me a login shell!!

porphyry5 03-29-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 (Post 6235237)
For the cqhci driver you will need the 4.19 kernel or newer.

Got it. And thank you again

colorpurple21859 03-29-2021 04:33 PM

Great you got it working with the 4.4 kernel.

porphyry5 03-31-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 (Post 6235338)
Great you got it working with the 4.4 kernel.

Correction: you got it working, I was an interested bystander.
One last question: the modules you were adding to mkinitrd-generator, where are they contained in the system?

colorpurple21859 03-31-2021 03:28 PM

They are in /lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel are added to the initrd.gz to allow the kernel to preload them before attempting to access the drive for the root filesystem.

porphyry5 04-01-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 (Post 6235980)
They are in /lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel are added to the initrd.gz to allow the kernel to preload them before attempting to access the drive for the root filesystem.

Thank you, and can this be taken as a generalization, that kernel panic always means "unable to proceed" with whatever it started doing immediately before the panic?

colorpurple21859 04-01-2021 02:46 PM

That is one way of looking at it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.