LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[slackware64-14.2] The USB drive I'm using to install slackware won't stay mounted


Hi All,
I'm trying to install slackware from a usb stick, but immediately after boot it automatically unmounts. I tried getting around this by making a temporary directory, mounting the usb there and trying to install from that & installing the packages from one of the mirrors but in both cases that packages failed to install. Is there anyway to fix this?
 
Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,716
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481
create your usb image ok and then tell your computer to boot from it. What is it F10 F11 F2 or the delete button what ever one it is that lets you choose the boot device. boot from the usb hard drive ok thats the device you want to boot from ok.
If this is a proprietary computer like a acer for windows thing. I am sorry I do not keep up with the newer secure boot stuff.
Reason is never buy proprietary hardware I prefer Industry standard. Unlike Dell HP ACER etc etc etc .
if using the windows 10 you should be ok by selecting the device to boot from.
 
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
create your usb image ok and then tell your computer to boot from it. What is it F10 F11 F2 or the delete button what ever one it is that lets you choose the boot device. boot from the usb hard drive ok thats the device you want to boot from ok.
If this is a proprietary computer like a acer for windows thing. I am sorry I do not keep up with the newer secure boot stuff.
Reason is never buy proprietary hardware I prefer Industry standard. Unlike Dell HP ACER etc etc etc .
if using the windows 10 you should be ok by selecting the device to boot from.
Sorry If I wasn't clear on this, but the usb unmounts after I've booted up the slackware install iso, the computer currently has no OS installed on it
 
Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
laprjns
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut USA
Distribution: SalixOS
Posts: 199

Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantThinkOfAName View Post
...but the usb unmounts after I've booted up the slackware install iso.....
How do you know that the usb device unmounted?
Is the installer running?
Did you log in as root into the installer?
 
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
How do you know that the usb device unmounted?
When I type mount "/dev/sdb /directory_I_MadeTemporarily_For_Installation" it returns /dev/sdb not found
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
Is the installer running?
Did you log in as root into the installer?
yes and yes
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida panhandle
Distribution: slackware64-current, fedora,Xubuntu, others
Posts: 4,616

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
what is the output of
Code:
fdisk -l
That is a small L.
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
what is the output of
Code:
fdisk -l
That is a small L.
15 Ram disks and then /dev/sda, which is my laptop's internal drive
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida panhandle
Distribution: slackware64-current, fedora,Xubuntu, others
Posts: 4,616

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
Did you check the mdsum on the iso? May have been a bad download.
 
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida panhandle
Distribution: slackware64-current, fedora,Xubuntu, others
Posts: 4,616

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
also what is the output of the following:
Code:
lspci
lsusb
lsmod
 
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
laprjns
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut USA
Distribution: SalixOS
Posts: 199

Rep: Reputation: 97
I'm confused. Did you type in "setup" after logging in as root? Did you get to the point in the installing process where a dialog box ask you to select the media from which to install Slackware? The usb stick isn't mounted until the installer gets to this point in the process.
 
Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,122

Rep: Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972Reputation: 6972
Let's go a few steps back.

Where did you obtain that Slackware installer? Can you give an exact download link?
How did you create the bootable USB stick out of that Slackware installer download?
Can you describe in more detail what happens between powering on the computer and that point where you see that the USB stick gets unmounted?

Somehow I can not shake off the idea that you are talking about something completely different.
 
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
Did you check the mdsum on the iso? May have been a bad download.
Yes the md5 hash was the same as the proper one

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
also what is the output of the following:
Code:
lspci
lsusb
lsmod

All USB related entries in lspci
Code:
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Fammily USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
0d:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
lsusb
Code:
 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 090c:1000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b221
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
USB related entries in lsmod
Code:
Module             Size Used by
uas               14034 0
usb_storage       55590 1 uas
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
I'm confused. Did you type in "setup" after logging in as root? Did you get to the point in the installing process where a dialog box ask you to select the media from which to install Slackware? The usb stick isn't mounted until the installer gets to this point in the process.
Yes I got to that point in the installer and it wouldn't detect the USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Where did you obtain that Slackware installer? Can you give an exact download link?
I got it from the Torrent for Slackware 14.2, 64-bit x86_64 link on the http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php page
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
How did you create the bootable USB stick out of that Slackware installer download?
dd if=/path/to/slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=4m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Can you describe in more detail what happens between powering on the computer and that point where you see that the USB stick gets unmounted?
I boot into the iso, login, type fdisk -l the usb does not show up. Then when I get to the source selection portion of the installer, the installer won't detect the USB
 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Alright, it seems like the USB unmounts either right at the end of the TARGET portion of setup or right at the beginning of the SOURCE section
 
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida panhandle
Distribution: slackware64-current, fedora,Xubuntu, others
Posts: 4,616

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
after logging in, unplug and replug the usb key back in then
Code:
dmesg |tail
 
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
ICantThinkOfAName
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
after logging in, unplug and replug the usb key back in then
Code:
dmesg |tail
That sorta worked, but now I have the usb unmounting mid package install which screws the installation
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackware64 14.1: not able to install LILO to MBR; not able to boot from USB drive. dcsst28 Slackware 1 11-17-2013 09:03 PM
[SOLVED] External HDD won't stay mounted wenp Linux - Hardware 3 05-15-2011 12:51 AM
Usb HD dont stay mounted (kubuntu 8.04 default install) DropSig Linux - Hardware 6 08-05-2008 07:38 AM
laptop hard drive won't stay down synaptical Linux - Laptop and Netbook 5 06-24-2005 08:33 AM
New Ubuntu install hasn't mounted windows hd or usb drive trempel Ubuntu 7 05-26-2005 04:58 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration