LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #166
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Cool, thanks for these. I tested them out, as well as ones I had built here locally, and they do not boot beyond u-boot. No logs, no swap, no resize, no activity at all beyond u-boot. So, we cannot rule out the LCD issue just yet.

Any ideas? thanks.....
 
Old 02-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #167
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldweller View Post
Cool, thanks for these. I tested them out, as well as ones I had built here locally, and they do not boot beyond u-boot. No logs, no swap, no resize, no activity at all beyond u-boot. So, we cannot rule out the LCD issue just yet.

Any ideas? thanks.....
try changing the kernel (Image) kernel-sun50iw1-5.6.19 to working in the image.

maybe there is another name for eMMC used by mmcblk0p1 try mmcblk1p1.
and see which bootloader is used with eMMC or SDcard

Last edited by sndwvs; 02-17-2021 at 12:30 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #168
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
try changing the kernel (Image) kernel-sun50iw1-5.6.19 to working in the image.

maybe there is another name for eMMC used by mmcblk0p1 try mmcblk1p1.
and see which bootloader is used with eMMC or SDcard
Ah, yes, good suggestions, not sure why I did not think of those. I chrooted into the SD card, removed the 5.4.99 kernels (latest build), installed the 5.6.19 kernels from the working build, and rebooted. It booted into the SD card as expected, full display, no kernel lag, etc. So, it must just be the 5.4.y kernels that do not boot for some reason. This kinda/sorta makes sense, because the first kernel I ever tried from your script was 5.5.0. These are the first 5.4.y kernels I have ever tried on the Pinebook, so they may never have worked. 5.5.y was a good branch, albeit non-LTS. It seems like none of the LTS kernels work on this thing.

Maybe the non-LTS kernels are the best ones for this device? That is what it seems like from a few tests at least.

I am still slightly curious about 5.7.19, even if that was the end of the line. For now, the patched 5.6.19 seems to be the best choice, since it actually works and has the bluetooth fix.

 
Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #169
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldweller View Post
Ah, yes, good suggestions, not sure why I did not think of those. I chrooted into the SD card, removed the 5.4.99 kernels (latest build), installed the 5.6.19 kernels from the working build, and rebooted. It booted into the SD card as expected, full display, no kernel lag, etc. So, it must just be the 5.4.y kernels that do not boot for some reason. This kinda/sorta makes sense, because the first kernel I ever tried from your script was 5.5.0. These are the first 5.4.y kernels I have ever tried on the Pinebook, so they may never have worked. 5.5.y was a good branch, albeit non-LTS. It seems like none of the LTS kernels work on this thing.

Maybe the non-LTS kernels are the best ones for this device? That is what it seems like from a few tests at least.

I am still slightly curious about 5.7.19, even if that was the end of the line. For now, the patched 5.6.19 seems to be the best choice, since it actually works and has the bluetooth fix.


I think it's worth a problem, set verbosity=8 and experiment with mmcblkXp1.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #170
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
I think it's worth a problem, set verbosity=8 and experiment with mmcblkXp1.
Oh, very interesting, we do get significantly more output at that level, good call.

It seems to be hanging shortly after eudev is started:

https://shelldweller.beauxbead.com/slack/logs/boot.txt
 
Old 02-20-2021, 01:51 AM   #171
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
from the log you can see that there are no mmc devices.
have you tried changing root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 to root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 or root=/dev/mmcblk2p1
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #172
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
from the log you can see that there are no mmc devices.
have you tried changing root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 to root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 or root=/dev/mmcblk2p1
Really? I do not see that in the log file... but anyway, I should have mentioned that I did test that out.

I just got done building a 5.4.100 image, and I booted it first by setting root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 but it hung in the same place as the other log file, then I rebooted from my eMMC and changed the line to root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 and rebooted to the SD card with the same effect, then I rebooted to the eMMC again and changed the line to root=/dev/mmcblk2p1, and then it rebooted into my eMMC automatically (since my eMMC is mmcblk2 I suppose), so then I removed that line entirely and rebooted one last time.

No matter what I set the line to in uEnv.txt, it always booted to the same point in the kernel (hangs after device-mapper messages), unless I set it to boot of the eMMC, in which case it bypasses the SD card entirely.

I had the minicom outputting to a text file the entire time, so you see all the reboots. You can tell the SD card boots from the eMMC boots, because the u-boot on eMMC had an older build date.

https://shelldweller.beauxbead.com/s...ot.5.4.100.txt

So, it still seems like a kernel thing to me, especially since I can chroot into one of these images, upgrade to the 5.6.19 kernel packages, and it boots fine, without changing anything in uEnv.txt.
 
Old 02-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #173
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
yes, it is possible to configure the kernel, since I do not see that at least one mmc interface has been initialized, so all downloads indicate that the root partition is mmcblk0p1:

Code:
bash-5.1# grep "command line" boot.5.4.100.txt
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=8 ubootpart=9440a717-01 usb-storage.quirks=  
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=8 ubootpart=9440a717-01 usb-storage.quirks=  
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=8 ubootpart=9440a717-01 usb-storage.quirks=  
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=8 ubootpart=9440a717-01 usb-storage.quirks=
you can log from kernel 5.6.19
i updated the kernel config

Last edited by sndwvs; 02-25-2021 at 02:16 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #174
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
check 5.4.100
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #175
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
check 5.4.100
This is a huge improvement! The LCD panel is working as expected, it boots all the way to the login prompt and then Xfce runs nice and smoothly. WiFi works, screen brightness works, everything seems fine.

However, the boot process is very slow. I timed it at around 3:15 from the time I pressed the power button to the time it started the login manager. Everything works, but the boot is super slow until the performance governor is switched on near the end of booting. Compare that to under 45 seconds on my 5.6.19 kernel for the same boot process. It is not fatal, but it is noticeable.

I tried setting the cpuidle.governor=performance in uEnv.txt, but that did not seem to change anything.

I see there is a place to set the cpu governor in the kernel config. For example, a few of the Rock64 images I have tested have the governor set as performance in the kernel config. Can we try that for the pinebook too? That way, maybe the boot process will be quicker before it sets the governor in the init sequence.

Just a thought. Otherwise, this is a great image once it finally boots. Thank you!
 
Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 AM   #176
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
leave the command cpuidle.governor=performance or cpufreq.default_governor=performance, but rebuild the initrd:
/boot/rebuild-initrd.sh and add the parameter: ext4:xfs:btrfs:governor_performance
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #177
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
leave the command cpuidle.governor=performance or cpufreq.default_governor=performance, but rebuild the initrd:
/boot/rebuild-initrd.sh and add the parameter: ext4:xfs:btrfs:governor_performance
Hmmm, that is a good idea. However, I tried exactly that, and it did not change the slow boot time at all. I could tell it worked though because when the initrd was listing the loaded modules, governor_performance was listed among them.

So, I was able to build that module/setting into initrd, but the result was no different.
 
Old 03-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #178
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
so, of course, it seems like just a long time because of unpacking the initrd, you can try to remove the initrd and check the boot speed.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #179
shelldweller
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: Slackware / slarm64
Posts: 192

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Git Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndwvs View Post
so, of course, it seems like just a long time because of unpacking the initrd, you can try to remove the initrd and check the boot speed.
Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned, that was one of the first things I tried. Removing initrd and booting without it only shaved off a few seconds, and boot time was still ~ 3 minutes.


Side note: I recently received a Raspberry Pi 4 in a trade and I have been testing it out as a build-box. So far, it seems much slower than my Rock64 I use for the same purpose, but that might be due to several factors. In any case, I bring it up here because when I was building a new pinebook images, the xfce image failed because d/git was an empty download. Sure enough, I cannot even find it in the latest PACKAGES.TXT. I am guessing the last rebuild failed on your end somehow? Anyway, I just wanted to bring that up in case you had not noticed yet.
 
Old 03-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #180
sndwvs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank shelldweller,
Нes, I noticed, I'm correcting.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
arm, kernel, pine64, slackware, slarm64


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slarm64 (aarch64 unofficial slackware) sndwvs Slackware - ARM 322 04-12-2021 11:32 PM
slarm64 no wifi kermitdafrog8 Slackware - ARM 45 09-27-2019 10:33 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration