LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware - ARM (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-arm-108/)
-   -   slackwarearm 14.2 - current avoid KDE packages on "slackpkg install-new" (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-arm-108/slackwarearm-14-2-current-avoid-kde-packages-on-slackpkg-install-new-4175596914/)

ag33k 01-06-2017 08:47 AM

slackwarearm 14.2 - current avoid KDE packages on "slackpkg install-new"
 
I'm not used to use current.

But to update slackware I have to do

Code:

slackpkg update

slackpkg install-new

slackpkg upgrade-all

There is any way to avoid KDE packages? I didn't install KDE on my slackwarearm but I think that after
Code:

slackpkg install-new
KDE was installed.

There is any to avoid this?

Maybe using a blacklist or with a template?

glorsplitz 01-06-2017 09:54 AM

install-new supposed to only install new packages after main release of system

so you might have gotten couple new kde packages

Code:

slackpkg blacklist kde
slackpkg blacklist kdei

should do it

ag33k 01-06-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glorsplitz (Post 5651251)
install-new supposed to only install new packages after main release of system

so you might have gotten couple new kde packages

Code:

slackpkg blacklist kde
slackpkg blacklist kdei

should do it

I didn't select that packages during the installation!
It is normal that

Code:

slackpkg install-new
Install new packages that I didn't selected?

Penthux 01-06-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ag33k (Post 5651262)
I didn't select that packages during the installation!
It is normal that

Code:

slackpkg install-new
Install new packages that I didn't selected?

If you didn't de-select any packages which are available to install (i.e. removing the[*] on the left of the package name by highlighting the package and pressing spacebar) then slackpkg will install all packages which are selected in the list.

ag33k 01-07-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glorsplitz (Post 5651251)
install-new supposed to only install new packages after main release of system

so you might have gotten couple new kde packages

Code:

slackpkg blacklist kde
slackpkg blacklist kdei

should do it

Thanks!
That solved it!

eduardr 03-09-2019 11:30 PM

Ran into this with slackwarearm-current
 
Sorry to revive this - I think there's some issue with slackpkg specific to slackwarearm that's still unresolved.

I recently installed slackwarearm-current on an RPi 3 B+ (thanks to Sarpi).

When I run slackpkg upgrade-all, it suggests all of the kde packages for installation, even though I never selected kde/kdei during the initial Slackware install.

I've never run across this with slackware x86/64. And blacklisting kde* was never necessary on x86/64.

I also had to blacklist sendmail (was suggesting that also) and the kernel packages.

Now I've got a very large blacklist and it also takes a very long time for the step "Looking for NEW packages to install. Please wait..." to run since it is looking at everything.

eduardr 03-10-2019 11:22 AM

Figured it out, though the outcome isn't great
 
To answer my own question, it's because the slackwarearm-current Changelog.txt contains all those kde & sendmail packages as "Added.", whereas the slackware(64)-current Changelog.txt does not. This Alien Bob post provided the answer:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...4/#post4907020

To illustrate, the output of these 2 commands is very different (many more packages marked as Added. in arm):

Code:

grep "Added\." slackwarearm-current/ChangeLog.txt
Code:

grep "Added\." slackware64-current/ChangeLog.txt
I don't know the reason why these Changelogs are so different but I'm sure there's some good reason having to do with how the slackwarearm project adopts packages from the x86 project.

I normally like to run "slackpkg install-new" on a regular basis along with the updates, since new packages do get added from time to time. It looks like I'll need to stop doing that on slackwarearm systems since the huge number of kde packages that show up swamp any other new packages that get added.

So on slackwarearm I'll be changing my standard alias:

Code:

alias spuu='slackpkg update; slackpkg upgrade-all; slackpkg install-new'
to

Code:

alias spuu='slackpkg update; slackpkg upgrade-all'

drmozes 03-10-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eduardr (Post 5972365)
To answer my own question, it's because the slackwarearm-current Changelog.txt contains all those kde & sendmail packages as "Added.", whereas the slackware(64)-current Changelog.txt does not. This Alien Bob post provided the answer:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...4/#post4907020

To illustrate, the output of these 2 commands is very different (many more packages marked as Added. in arm):

Code:

grep "Added\." slackwarearm-current/ChangeLog.txt
Code:

grep "Added\." slackware64-current/ChangeLog.txt
I don't know the reason why these Changelogs are so different but I'm sure there's some good reason having to do with how the slackwarearm project adopts packages from the x86 project.

Which lines specifically are different? Normally the change tags should be the same.

Also, there will be many more marked as "Added" because -current started off with no packages, so all were "Added" since in order to use -current, you had to reinstall from fresh because you cannot upgrade from 14.2.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.