LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2022, 03:44 AM   #31
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,563

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314

Hello!

Slackchat S02E23: We talk about the new root file system and swap labeling within the Slackware Installer on ARM, and the rationale behind it. We hack on the RTC detection code and discuss the integration for the Raspberry Pi 3 & 4.
 
Old 01-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #32
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: Slackware ARM, AArch64
Posts: 1,055

Rep: Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
Hello!

Slackchat S02E23: We talk about the new root file system and swap labeling within the Slackware Installer on ARM, and the rationale behind it. We hack on the RTC detection code and discuss the integration for the Raspberry Pi 3 & 4.
Damned good episode.

So, allow me to add some clarity to the 3.3v vs 5v RTC conundrum. It's got nothing to do with the DS3231 RTC controller, as this operates on anything from 2.8-5.5v, but it has everything to do with the button battery. Some RTCs are designed to run from the 5v power but do not put any of it into the 3v button cell battery. Other RTCs that are designed to accommodate a rechargeable battery you will generally find that there is an in-line resistor on the 5v supply. This is because you need to supply more power to a rechargeable button cell than it outputs in order for it to 'trickle charge'. Putting 5v into a 3v lithium button battery is not recommended (it could ultimately be dangerous) whereas rechargeable button batteries are designed to handle it. Not all RTCs are designed to accommodate rechargeable button batteries. That's it, in a nutshell.

Specifying the split between system and GPU RAM on the Raspberry Pi devices is a config setting passed on to the boot loader (usually within the /boot/config.txt file) and I'm not sure if U-boot supports any of them. The dtoverlays can be called via commands and settings/parameters can be specified in the same way. U-boot doesn't handle (any?) dtoverlays so it might be tricky to invoke them without using the RPi bespoke boot-firmware. Other distros seem to have managed it by various means and methods in some degree.
 
Old 01-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #33
mralk3
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: May 2015
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,905

Rep: Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaga View Post
Damned good episode.
Fun times! It's always a pleasure to record with Stuart.

Quote:
Specifying the split between system and GPU RAM on the Raspberry Pi devices is a config setting passed on to the boot loader (usually within the /boot/config.txt file) and I'm not sure if U-boot supports any of them. The dtoverlays can be called via commands and settings/parameters can be specified in the same way. U-boot doesn't handle (any?) dtoverlays so it might be tricky to invoke them without using the RPi bespoke boot-firmware. Other distros seem to have managed it by various means and methods in some degree.
The config variable that dictates how much memory to put where is gpu_mem=. I read that the rpi will pick the default memory allocation if nothing is in config.txt. The Raspberry Pi foundation ships a config.txt with gpu_mem=16 for the Pi 4. I will have to look that up how that works later on for the Pi 3. Anyway, one can only assume it will do the same with U-Boot because the boot rom reads all the files then hands off kernel / ramdisk / dtb loading to extlinux.

Last edited by mralk3; 01-06-2022 at 07:55 PM.
 
Old 01-07-2022, 01:33 AM   #34
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: Slackware ARM, AArch64
Posts: 1,055

Rep: Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
Fun times! It's always a pleasure to record with Stuart.
I'm sure it is. For me it was always about why we were doing the slack chat podcast rather than who I was doing it with. On that note, it might be prudent for you to rearrange your setup or consider using a different microphone. Stu comes through crystal clear but you are difficult to hear at the best of times. That's not your voice or accent, it's the quality that's the issue. Like you're using a built-in condenser mic on a laptop that makes you sound muffled with some small degree of background noise/interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
The config variable that dictates how much memory to put where is gpu_mem=. I read that the rpi will pick the default memory allocation if nothing is in config.txt. The Raspberry Pi foundation ships a config.txt with gpu_mem=16 for the Pi 4. I will have to look that up how that works later on for the Pi 3. Anyway, one can only assume it will do the same with U-Boot because the boot rom reads all the files then hands off kernel / ramdisk / dtb loading to extlinux.
I don't know how much of the RPi memory options is relevant (if at all) when using U-boot. The Raspberry Pi Documentation offers much information and guidance - although it's not always accurate or 100% reliable. Therefore testing, testing, and more testing, is always required. The available config.txt settings is a list longer than your arm and a veritable mindfield (sic) of information.
 
Old 01-07-2022, 06:17 AM   #35
mralk3
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: May 2015
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,905

Rep: Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaga View Post
On that note, it might be prudent for you to rearrange your setup or consider using a different microphone. Stu comes through crystal clear but you are difficult to hear at the best of times. That's not your voice or accent, it's the quality that's the issue. Like you're using a built-in condenser mic on a laptop that makes you sound muffled with some small degree of background noise/interference.
I agree. I was using the Pinebook Pro built in microphone. I ordered a headset that should fix the muffling, background noise, and it will be here today.
 
Old 01-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #36
bittin_
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2022
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 75
Started watching Season 2 of the podcast yesterday evening and have 12 episodes left too watch
 
Old 01-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #37
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,563

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittin_ View Post
Started watching Season 2 of the podcast yesterday evening and have 12 episodes left too watch
I've never heard of anyone binging on the Slackchat podcasts before.
I'd send you a t-shirt if I had one :-)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #38
bittin_
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2022
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
I've never heard of anyone binging on the Slackchat podcasts before.
I'd send you a t-shirt if I had one :-)
No worries, if you ever make t-shirts or stickers put me on the list
i take chocolate oranges too *joking*

almost watched it all now in three-four days, have a half episode left
 
Old 01-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #39
mralk3
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: May 2015
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,905

Rep: Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittin_ View Post
almost watched it all now in three-four days, have a half episode left
The latest episode is a demonstration of what I do each day while testing any changes Stuart pushes out to me. Sometimes I have to improvise. I probably could have added some commentary or text to the video. It was recorded and edited on the RockPro64. Rendering the video took 2 hours. However, editing it took about 4 hours in Kdenlive.
 
Old 01-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #40
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,563

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Hello!

The latest Slackware ARM podcast episode is a status update for Slackware AArch64.
In summary, it's almost baked and will be released to the supporters first as a 'thank you' for paying for the hardware.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #41
mralk3
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: May 2015
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,905

Rep: Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057
As a follow up to the video regarding Raspberry Pi 3 support.. My raspberry pi 3 will start Xfce - both with and without the xorg.conf in /etc/X11. With compositing disabled, the removal of the xorg.conf, the video is more reliable and snappy. Xfce reports that VC4 V3D 2.1 driver is in use. Youtube loads in firefox and does not freeze like the Pi 4. I made no changes to config.txt in /boot.
Code:
test@rpithreeb:~$ w | head -n 1
 10:37:08 up 21 min,  2 users,  load average: 7.12, 4.35, 2.29
test@rpithreeb:~$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           907Mi       662Mi        37Mi        25Mi       207Mi       146Mi
Swap:          4.0Gi       432Mi       3.6Gi
KDE will not load in either run level 3 or 4 with the display manager (sddm).
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:55 AM   #42
bittin_
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2022
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
Hello!

The latest Slackware ARM podcast episode is a status update for Slackware AArch64.
In summary, it's almost baked and will be released to the supporters first as a 'thank you' for paying for the hardware.

Watching now
 
Old 01-25-2022, 03:50 AM   #43
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,563

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
As a follow up to the video regarding Raspberry Pi 3 support.. My raspberry pi 3 will start Xfce - both with and without the xorg.conf in /etc/X11.
Thanks, x11-skel won't install a config for the RPi3 now.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #44
mralk3
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: May 2015
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,905

Rep: Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057Reputation: 1057
One more follow up from one of the previous videos. Suspend to RAM (Sleep mode) will work in KDE, Xfce, and from a console. However, I'm not sure there is support for hibernation in U-boot or the ARM Trusted Firmware just yet.

EDIT: *For the pinebook pro*

Last edited by mralk3; 01-28-2022 at 10:53 AM.
 
Old 01-30-2022, 03:46 AM   #45
bittin_
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2022
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 75
New video out a tutorial how to install Slackware on the Pinebook Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKs_RnFqLO8
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] tzap ERROR: could not find channel <channel name> in channel list tonj Linux - Software 0 12-19-2015 07:45 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration