LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2019, 03:44 AM   #16
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWhip View Post
Hi, fyi there is already a Firmware outside which fix the "thermal issue"

Best
Hello theWhip. Welcome to LQ.

It seems the new firmware fix is certainly "fixing" things good and proper: Raspberry Pi 4 - new VLI firmware issues

It's been reported that the new VLI firmware fix lowers the general operating temperature of the SOC by only a few degrees and that's without any additional cooling. New Raspberry Pi 4 VLI Firmware Lowers Temperature by 3-5°C. If the new firmware only lowers temperatures by 3-5 degrees Celsius, that's not very much and is approx. the same as adding a 28x28x20mm heatsink to the RPi4 SoC - without a fan. I have tested with this heatsink setup and the thermal issue is still very apparent. The only way to cool down the RPi4 SoC effectively is to use a heatsink and fan as an additional cooling solution.

If you would like to install the new VLI firmware "fix" [as recommended by Raspberry Pi Engineers] to solve the thermal issue(s): Following a successful trial with our alpha testers, we are releasing a new firmware build for the USB3 host adapter.... Good luck if you do!
 
Old 07-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
theWhip
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thx for the Info, i already install the new firmware and use two small heatsink units without any fans, not yet.
Seems i should overthink my solution

best

Last edited by theWhip; 07-07-2019 at 07:01 AM.
 
Old 07-13-2019, 03:50 AM   #18
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWhip View Post
Thx for the Info, i already install the new firmware and use two small heatsink units without any fans, not yet.
Seems i should overthink my solution

best
A guy I spoke to is running his Raspberry Pi 4 Model B in a GeeekPi Acrylic Case with a Noctua 40mm 5v fan fitted and he reports the operating temperature to be ~35'C when idling at the command prompt. That's without any heatsinks fitted at all.

Apparently, so I'm told, the Noctua 40mm fan is very efficient and quiet. I'm looking to get one.
 
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #19
glorsplitz
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Distribution: slackware!
Posts: 790

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
I like that GeeekPi Acrylic Case, yes Noctua 40mm fans are really cool!

Last edited by glorsplitz; 07-14-2019 at 09:03 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
TheTKS
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Location: The deep south... of Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Xubuntu, elementary, OpenBSD, Puppy, TinyCore
Posts: 94

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This seems like the best thread to make acknowledgements, so:

I installed slackwarearm -current on an RPi 4 today - successfully! I've already learned a wrong way and the right way to update the kernel.

A big thank you to all of you who made that possible: Pat, of course; MoZes for Slackware ARM; and exaga for SARPi.

Also to anyone I've missed - others who contribute directly to Slackware and to Slackware ARM, are named on arm.slackware.com and sarpi.fatdog.eu, and post here on LQ.

TKS
 
Old 11-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #21
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTKS View Post
This seems like the best thread to make acknowledgements, so:

I installed slackwarearm -current on an RPi 4 today - successfully! I've already learned a wrong way and the right way to update the kernel.

A big thank you to all of you who made that possible: Pat, of course; MoZes for Slackware ARM; and exaga for SARPi.

Also to anyone I've missed - others who contribute directly to Slackware and to Slackware ARM, are named on arm.slackware.com and sarpi.fatdog.eu, and post here on LQ.

TKS
Hi! Good that you're using Slackware ARM on the RPi4. Absolutely wonderful combination. Isn't it? You've certainly done yourself [and the RPi4] a great service!

Thanks for your thanks. I just think it's so cool that Slackware runs exceptionally well on any device and all gratitude to Patrick, the Slackware Team, and especially MoZes for the ARM port.

Best advice I can offer is to keep the damned Rpi4 cool. Sure, it still runs OK at 80'C without any additional cooling but is anything between 10-40% slower as a result. Slackware ARM doesn't care and just does what you ask of it without any problems but the RPi4 is not nearly as accommodating. LOL!

NB: I wasted enough time attempting to harness the thermal issues on the RPi4 [it's like trying to juggle with sunshine] and just went and bought one of these: https://imgur.com/NStOcEa - Ice Tower SKU: EP-0107

Last edited by Exaga; 11-25-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: yes
 
Old 11-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #22
TheTKS
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Location: The deep south... of Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Xubuntu, elementary, OpenBSD, Puppy, TinyCore
Posts: 94

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaga View Post
Hi! Good that you're using Slackware ARM on the RPi4. Absolutely wonderful combination. Isn't it? You've certainly done yourself [and the RPi4] a great service!

Thanks for your thanks. I just think it's so cool that Slackware runs exceptionally well on any device and all gratitude to Patrick, the Slackware Team, and especially MoZes for the ARM port.

Best advice I can offer is to keep the damned Rpi4 cool. Sure, it still runs OK at 80'C without any additional cooling but is anything between 10-40% slower as a result. Slackware ARM doesn't care and just does what you ask of it without any problems but the RPi4 is not nearly as accommodating. LOL!

NB: I wasted enough time attempting to harness the thermal issues on the RPi4 [it's like trying to juggle with sunshine] and just went and bought one of these: https://imgur.com/NStOcEa - Ice Tower SKU: EP-0107
I have run Slackware ARM on the RPi4 4GB a few times now (strictly weekend hobby/project for now), did some post-installation optimizations (including some of your ideas - thanks again), and ran a couple of updates that went smoothly.

Yes, I find Slackware and RPi4 a great combination - it has run very well for me. I've run into a couple of minor snags, but actually doing stuff is a priority for me over fixing minor issues.

I found your article on RPi4 operating temperatures and cooling before I bought my Pi (so thanks again, again), so I bought my Pi, heat sinks and fan together. No overheating problems here.

Next project, someday: get the Arduino IDE installed so I can work on RPi-Arduino projects directly on the Pi (for now doing this on Slackware64 14.2.) I first have to learn how to build a Slackware package, and then to build a Slackware ARM package.

TKS
 
Old 11-27-2019, 01:50 AM   #23
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTKS View Post
I found your article on RPi4 operating temperatures and cooling before I bought my Pi (so thanks again, again), so I bought my Pi, heat sinks and fan together. No overheating problems here.

Next project, someday: get the Arduino IDE installed so I can work on RPi-Arduino projects directly on the Pi (for now doing this on Slackware64 14.2.) I first have to learn how to build a Slackware package, and then to build a Slackware ARM package.
Great! That's precisely why I made the RPi4 cooling guide/article - so users, such as yourself, might benefit from it. Happy that it's been of some help to you. VERY happy you weren't subject to the same BS I went through over this issue.

I remember a time when I was struggling to learn and understand Slackware packages. There's a PDF document written by MoZes which pretty much taught me all I needed to know. I've had zero questions and no problems whatsoever after assimilating it's contents. It's priceless information. If you aren't already aware of it: http://www.slackware.com/~mozes/docs...esentation.pdf
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #24
abga
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,415

Rep: Reputation: 805Reputation: 805Reputation: 805Reputation: 805Reputation: 805Reputation: 805Reputation: 805
@TheTKS

Related to the high temperature of the Pi4, you should try the latest Raspberry Firmware:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the...aspberry-pi-4/

It appears that with this latest firmware release you won't be able to fry eggs anymore on the board, but only boil them ...
 
Old 11-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
Exaga
SARPi Maintainer
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
@TheTKS

Related to the high temperature of the Pi4, you should try the latest Raspberry Firmware:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the...aspberry-pi-4/

It appears that with this latest firmware release you won't be able to fry eggs anymore on the board, but only boil them ...
Why?
 
Old 11-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #26
TheTKS
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Location: The deep south... of Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Xubuntu, elementary, OpenBSD, Puppy, TinyCore
Posts: 94

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
@TheTKS

Related to the high temperature of the Pi4, you should try the latest Raspberry Firmware:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the...aspberry-pi-4/

It appears that with this latest firmware release you won't be able to fry eggs anymore on the board, but only boil them ...
One of the first things I did, but from what I understand, it isn’t enough to avoid high temps and throttling for the most demanding usage.

Whether I ever push it so hard or not, I took precautions.

Before updating firmware - even before even putting power to it the first time - I installed heat sinks and a fan. And I set the Pi on its side. And I installed the heat sinks so with the Pi in that position, the heat sink fins are vertical.

I think mine is fine, but I’ll monitor it.

TheTKS
 
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #27
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
Hi,

on -current, i don't get v3d/vc4 to work on my rpi4/2G ram.

Code:
glxgears -info | grep RENDER
GL_RENDERER   = llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0, 128 bits)
This sould be something like "GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on VC4", according to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_VC4

Any advice?
 
Old 12-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #28
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
Hi,

on -current, i don't get v3d/vc4 to work on my rpi4/2G ram.

Code:
glxgears -info | grep RENDER
GL_RENDERER   = llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0, 128 bits)
I could improve it a bit, by recompiling mesa with "kmsro" added to the gallium drivers.
GL_RENDERER ist still llvmpipe, but glxgears changed from ~250 FPS to ~320 FPS.

Found out about it here https://intestinate.com/pilfs/beyond.html#wayland

Somebody here with working v3d/vc4 with -current on rpi4?
 
Old 12-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #29
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
Hi,

on -current, i don't get v3d/vc4 to work on my rpi4/2G ram.

Code:
glxgears -info | grep RENDER
GL_RENDERER   = llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0, 128 bits)
I solved this by
-deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf (which had set fbturbo, don't know where this did come from)
-set dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and hdmi_safe=1 in /boot/config.txt. hdmi_safe maybe because i'm using a hdmi->vga adapter.


Code:
glxgears -info | grep RENDER
GL_RENDERER   = V3D 4.2
Code:
grep vc4 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    31.306] (II) modeset(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: vc4
[    31.306] (II) modeset(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: vc4
[    31.717] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized vc4
Code:
xdpyinfo | grep DRI
    DRI2
    DRI3
Next problem: Firefox and Thunderbird are segfaulting. Seamonkey starts, but crashes on youtube.
 
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #30
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 886

Rep: Reputation: 673Reputation: 673Reputation: 673Reputation: 673Reputation: 673Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
I could improve it a bit, by recompiling mesa with "kmsro" added to the gallium drivers.
GL_RENDERER ist still llvmpipe, but glxgears changed from ~250 FPS to ~320 FPS.

Found out about it here https://intestinate.com/pilfs/beyond.html#wayland

Somebody here with working v3d/vc4 with -current on rpi4?
Mesa in -current already has that gallum driver btw.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: GNOME 3.33.2 Released, Krita 4.2 Debuts, RPi Camera Modules on RPi Zeros Power the Penguin Watch Project, Intrinsyc Switches Its Home LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-30-2019 07:23 AM
LXer: Mini-PC taps RPi Compute Module and supports RPi 2 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-22-2015 04:03 PM
RPi Slackware ARM installer updated to 3.10.22 kernel Exaga Slackware - ARM 0 12-11-2013 04:44 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration