LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Question Latest 14.2 network manager fails to get route


Hi !

I can get an IP with an USB rj45 adapter, but route is empty :

Aug 22 15:35:25 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <warn> [1471880125.2188] (pid 2002) unhandled DHCP event for interface eth0
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0732] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-address[3: 27.58.57.45/22]: failure 17 (File exists)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0749] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-route[3: 142.89.0.3/32 100]: failure 101 (Network is unreachable)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0776] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-route[3: 0.0.0.0/0 100]: failure 101 (Network is unreachable)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <warn> [1471880126.0785] default-route: failed to add default route 0.0.0.0/0 via 27.58.57.1 dev 3 metric 100 mss 0 src user with effective metric 100
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.4158] platform-linux: do-add-ip6-address[3: ff70::127:c2bb:0b21:45e4]: failure 22 (Invalid argument)

The latest update changes nothing.
Getting the network through /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 works.
 
Old 08-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,553

Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux.tar.gz View Post
Hi !

I can get an IP with an USB rj45 adapter, but route is empty :

Aug 22 15:35:25 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <warn> [1471880125.2188] (pid 2002) unhandled DHCP event for interface eth0
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0732] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-address[3: 27.58.57.45/22]: failure 17 (File exists)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0749] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-route[3: 142.89.0.3/32 100]: failure 101 (Network is unreachable)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.0776] platform-linux: do-add-ip4-route[3: 0.0.0.0/0 100]: failure 101 (Network is unreachable)
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <warn> [1471880126.0785] default-route: failed to add default route 0.0.0.0/0 via 27.58.57.1 dev 3 metric 100 mss 0 src user with effective metric 100
Aug 22 15:35:26 darkstar NetworkManager[1243]: <error> [1471880126.4158] platform-linux: do-add-ip6-address[3: ff70::127:c2bb:0b21:45e4]: failure 22 (Invalid argument)

The latest update changes nothing.
Getting the network through /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 works.
The latest update didn't fix any bugs, it only made it work on armv5.

NetworkManager works fine here after killing dhcpcd, ifconfig eth0 0
Are you sure that you don't have DHCP configured in rc.inet1.conf ?

Code:
root@zaden-142:~# egrep '^USE_DHCP.*yes' /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
If you do you should set it to ""
 
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Was set to yes, but removing it changes nothing.
I just noticed that I have a :
Aug 22 21:16:15 darkstar NetworkManager[1244]: <warn> [1471900575.3462] device (eth0): failed to find device 3 'eth0' with udev

As I tweaked udev the problem can be there, I'll check that.
Thanks for your answer.
 
Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Crap, I have the same problem without touching udev :/ .
 
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
When I set NM to use dhclient, I get the routes but not the DNS, weird.
The internal dhcp client doesn't work.
 
Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
For an unknown reason, using dhclient now works. Not dhcpcd still... Only the update batch changed.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #7
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,553

Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux.tar.gz View Post
For an unknown reason, using dhclient now works. Not dhcpcd still... Only the update batch changed.
You can try changing the settings for dhcpcd. I don't find it particularly reliable either but I think it's more of a local issue with a dodgy switch I have:-

Within /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 make sure that zeroconf is disabled:
Code:
/sbin/dhcpcd -Lt ${DHCP_TIMEOUT[$i]:-0} ${DHCP_OPTIONS} ${1}
If you don't see the "-L" in yours, add it in.

Then try changing the time out from 15 seconds to permanently waiting ("0"):
Code:
sed -i 's?\${DHCP_TIMEOUT\[\$i\]:-15\}?\$\{DHCP_TIMEOUT\[\$i\]:-0\}?g' /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
 
Old 08-31-2016, 03:24 AM   #8
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,647

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
If it is an dhcpcd vs. dhclient problem you could also try to uncomment the line with clientid from /etc/dhcpcd.conf and comment the one with duid. Otherwise it won't work with my router.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 04:12 AM   #9
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,553

Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by titopoquito View Post
If it is an dhcpcd vs. dhclient problem you could also try to uncomment the line with clientid from /etc/dhcpcd.conf and comment the one with duid. Otherwise it won't work with my router.
I will try that, but the problem I have is agnostic to DHCP clients. Even PXE booting and the DHCP client within U-Boot times out on the first try, but succeeds immediately on the 2nd. It only started happening when I had to replace a switch due to a fan failure.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #10
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Did the change with /etc/dhcpcd.conf , did nothing.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,553

Rep: Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux.tar.gz View Post
Did the change with /etc/dhcpcd.conf , did nothing.
And the changes I suggested?
 
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,534

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
I did them at the time you told me but nothing changed.
As of dhclient, it "magically" got the DNS yesterday.
I tested with a minimal set of tweaks (like key mapping).
I closed the issue because I now have a workaround, but I'll keep an eye on this. I can test on another ARM devices.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad route with PPTP VPN through Network Manager dchicks Linux - Networking 3 07-31-2013 01:01 PM
Fedora 13 Network Interface fails to connect after starting network manager crazy eddy Linux - Networking 2 06-15-2010 09:47 AM
Network Manager fails to maintain established connection R00ts Linux - Wireless Networking 4 02-15-2010 03:14 PM
build latest network-manager schurt Ubuntu 1 08-28-2006 03:49 AM
Network exists, eth0/route/something fails 43r05p4c3 Linux - Networking 5 07-10-2006 01:06 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration