LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
coralfang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 714
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 224Reputation: 224Reputation: 224
Errors upgrading kernel?


Can anyone help explain what is happening with this strange ln error and how i can fix this?
This came from earlier today with a "slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all"

I am running 14.2 (sarpi) on a raspberry pi b+.
Code:
Verifying package kernel_armv5-4.4.116-arm-1_slack14.2.txz.
Installing package kernel_armv5-4.4.116-arm-1_slack14.2.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# kernel (Linux kernel for the devices with an ARMv5 CPU)
#
# This Linux Kernel has been build for devices that have an ARMv5 CPU,
# including the Marvell Kirkwood family.
# The armv5 family are aimed at network connected consumer
# electronic equipment, including home gateway/access points, set-top
# boxes, network storage, digital home media servers, point of services
# terminals, and plug computers.
#
# Other drivers (such as additional file system support) may be
# loaded as modules.  See /etc/rc.d/rc.modules for examples.
Executing install script for kernel_armv5-4.4.116-arm-1_slack14.2.txz.
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'uinitrd-armv5': Operation not permitted
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'System.map-armv5': Operation not permitted
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'initrd-armv5': Operation not permitted
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'dtb': Operation not permitted
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'zImage-armv5': Operation not permitted
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'uImage-armv5': Operation not permitted
Warning: No Device Tree Blob (kernel parameter dtb=) not specified
         and your system is unknown.  You may need to append a DTB
         file to your zImage (and possibly re-create uImage if your
         boot loader is U-Boot) in order for your system to boot
         using this Kernel.
Package kernel_armv5-4.4.116-arm-1_slack14.2.txz installed.


Searching for NEW configuration files
		No .new files found.

root@neptune:~#
 
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
abga
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
The default kernel that comes with Slackware ARM, which in your case got updated, is not really for your Pi board. You should blacklist all kernel related stuff if you use slackpkg.
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:ha...rm:raspberrypi
Since you're using sarpi (I never used it, e.g. my knowledge is limited), you should try their update tool for the kernel/firmware stuff:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=rpiupdate
 
Old 02-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
Since you're using sarpi (I never used it, e.g. my knowledge is limited), you should try their update tool for the kernel/firmware stuff:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=rpiupdate
He's not using SARPi he's using Slackware ARM.

The rpi-update tool is not 'their' update tool. It's Hexxeh's work. The SARPi project doesn't encourage the use of this tool but offers a guide for those who want an easy way of upgrading.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
abga
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
He's not using SARPi he's using Slackware ARM.

The rpi-update tool is not 'their' update tool. It's Hexxeh's work. The SARPi project doesn't encourage the use of this tool but offers a guide for those who want an easy way of upgrading.
Penthux, I just tried to help the Slack fellow, since nobody else did for almost a day on a rather simple issue. I don't really care who's who here, glad to meet/learn about the people, but I was referring to his original post and tried to keep things factual and technical (even provided the Slackware ARM official link in which he can see how to manually extract the kernel&stuff from the Raspbian image):
Quote:
I am running 14.2 (sarpi) on a raspberry pi b+.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
coralfang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 714
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 224Reputation: 224Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
He's not using SARPi he's using Slackware ARM.

The rpi-update tool is not 'their' update tool. It's Hexxeh's work. The SARPi project doesn't encourage the use of this tool but offers a guide for those who want an easy way of upgrading.
This is what i did. I followed this; http://sarpi.co.uk/?p=install, which is sarpi, is it not?
And did install rpi-update as suggested in the install steps.

However i do now notice that the running kernel is actually,
Code:
Linux neptune 4.14.18+ #1093 Fri Feb 9 15:07:36 GMT 2018 armv6l BCM2835 GNU/Linux
Being different that what is within slackpkg's updates.

My question now, is it safe to ignore these errors by slackpkg, and remove the armv5 kernel completely from slackpkg. The install steps only suggested to remove the armv7 kernel (as b+ doesn't support armv7) Assuming i should only need to install/upgrade the kernel via the rpi-update tool? Whilst blacklisting kernel packages in slackpkg?

Also, i would prefer if i could use the slackware kernel, how could i get this installed/running again without these errors?

Thanks. I am weary of rebooting the device until i am certain i will not get any boot problems relating to this.

Last edited by coralfang; 02-23-2018 at 08:20 PM.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Sarpi is not slackware arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfang View Post
This is what i did. I followed this; http://sarpi.co.uk/?p=install, which is sarpi, is it not?
The URL you've mentioned is a webpage on the SARPi Project website. So, I guess it's not wrong to consider it as a webpage on the SARPi Project website.

What exactly do you suppose (or believe) SARPi to be? Hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfang View Post
My question now, is it safe to ignore these errors by slackpkg, and remove the armv5 kernel completely from slackpkg. The install steps only suggested to remove the armv7 kernel (as b+ doesn't support armv7) Assuming i should only need to install/upgrade the kernel via the rpi-update tool? Whilst blacklisting kernel packages in slackpkg?

Also, i would prefer if i could use the slackware kernel, how could i get this installed/running again without these errors?

Thanks. I am weary of rebooting the device until i am certain i will not get any boot problems relating to this.
When people start to understand what SARPi is, what it's for, and what it entails, I might be interested in answering posts such as these. However, people referring to "SARPi" when they should really be saying "Slackware ARM" is totally disrespectful to Slackware ARM, and the massive amounts of time, effort, and financial cost that Mozes spends on maintaining it.

Slackware ARM rocks. SARPi doesn't rock.

Please don't confuse yourself, and others, by not understanding what SARPi actually is.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
Penthux, I just tried to help the Slack fellow, since nobody else did for almost a day on a rather simple issue. I don't really care who's who here, glad to meet/learn about the people, but I was referring to his original post and tried to keep things factual and technical (even provided the Slackware ARM official link in which he can see how to manually extract the kernel&stuff from the Raspbian image):
If you are going to reply on any topic make sure you do it accurately and concisely. If you're going to reply on SARPi related topics, I'd rather you didn't until you know what you're talking about.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 701

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfang View Post
My question now, is it safe to ignore these errors by slackpkg, and remove the armv5 kernel completely from slackpkg. The install steps only suggested to remove the armv7 kernel (as b+ doesn't support armv7) Assuming i should only need to install/upgrade the kernel via the rpi-update tool? Whilst blacklisting kernel packages in slackpkg?
The Slackware ARM kernels don't support the Raspberry Pi. You ought to blacklist the kernel packages in slackpkg.

You can safely removepkg the kernels:

Code:
cd /var/log/packages
removepkg kernel-modules-armv{5,7}*armv*-arm*
removepkg kernel_armv{5,7}*arm-*
The output installation you included was complaining for two reasons:
1. /boot doesn't permit symlinks (presumably because it's FAT or something else that doesn't support symlinks)
2. Because your system isn't configured with the Kernel command line parameter needed for Slackware to determine the running Kernel package name (which it shouldn't because the RPi is not a supported system).
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
abga
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
@drmozes
Wouldn't it be nice to add some words on the official Slackware ARM Raspberry Pi documentation page and explain the limitations for the Raspberry Pi support? You could update the header with this Slackware ARM official point of view (your words + my hint + obviously, as an educated native English speaker you can use your wording/reformulate):
Code:
The Raspberry Pi is supported outside of the official Slackware ARM tree by the Slackware community. The Slackware ARM kernels don't support the Raspberry Pi. You ought to blacklist the kernel packages in slackpkg. Please follow the instructions in the "Manual installation method" section below in order to get the official and updated kernel for Raspberry Pi.
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:ha...rm:raspberrypi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
If you are going to reply on any topic make sure you do it accurately and concisely. If you're going to reply on SARPi related topics, I'd rather you didn't until you know what you're talking about.
Again, I was, short and concise, nothing more, nothing less. I might have missed to add the word kernel in "Since you're using sarpi", but that was mentioned in the second sentence, as the target for the rpi-update, finally it's self explanatory as it's also the topic of this very thread. Isn't it?
Quote:
Since you're using sarpi (I never used it, e.g. my knowledge is limited), you should try their update tool for the kernel/firmware stuff:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=rpiupdate
I sincerely envy you for the time you have to argue about the sarpi project and since regarding it as a Slackware ARM endorsed community project is so "disrespectful", I'm wondering why you're not considering to ditch it. But you don't want that, instead why not focus your convincing efforts and add some explanations about the Slackware ARM kernel and the slackpg kernel blacklisting requirements here:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=goodwork
- and here:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=rpiupdate
"You don't have to use rpi-update, there's always the manual method. The choice is entirely yours."
- this could also be extended with an additional/explanatory sentence, concise as you like to call it
 
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 701

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
@drmozes
Wouldn't it be nice to add some words on the official Slackware ARM Raspberry Pi documentation page and explain the limitations for the Raspberry Pi support?
I can't go around writing supplemental instructions for every project. Community projects should maintain their own documentation.

Having a community project referenced from the official tree is purely a convenience for the user. I think that the existing wording is quite clear in everywhere where community projects are referenced.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
The output installation you included was complaining for two reasons:
1. /boot doesn't permit symlinks (presumably because it's FAT or something else that doesn't support symlinks)
It is a FAT32 /boot partition for the RPis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
I sincerely envy you for the time you have to argue about the sarpi project and since regarding it as a Slackware ARM endorsed community project is so "disrespectful", I'm wondering why you're not considering to ditch it. But you don't want that, instead why not focus your convincing efforts and add some explanations about the Slackware ARM kernel and the slackpg kernel blacklisting requirements here:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=goodwork
- and here:
http://sarpi.co.uk/index.php?p=rpiupdate
"You don't have to use rpi-update, there's always the manual method. The choice is entirely yours."
- this could also be extended with an additional/explanatory sentence, concise as you like to call it
Why not focus your convincing efforts towards doing it yourself by applying for a position on the SARPi Project? I hear there's plenty of seats available. Contact Exaga if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
I can't go around writing supplemental instructions for every project. Community projects should maintain their own documentation.
Plus there's nothing to stop people writing their own documentation when/where it doesn't already exist. On Slackware Docs for example.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfang View Post
Also, i would prefer if i could use the slackware kernel, how could i get this installed/running again without these errors?
You don't want a Slackware ARM built kernel, you want a kernel that has been built specifically for your ARM device. In your case, you can download one from the SARPi downloads page, or you can run rpi-update, to achieve this.

The '+' suffix on your kernel version means you have installed a kernel using rpi-update.
 
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
abga
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
Why not focus your convincing efforts towards doing it yourself by applying for a position on the SARPi Project? I hear there's plenty of seats available. Contact Exaga if you're interested.
My last reply on this, not necessarily because of your invitation but because, believe you me, I do (still trying hard) care about the Slackware ARM project and happy to help with my limited amount of time and limited on Raspberry Pi only experience, whenever the case.
I have no convincing efforts, and you should be more creative in your replies, but got perplexed that you, the manager of the sarpi Project, first criticized me for trying to help the OP, that came here confused after using the sarpi installation, and then criticizing the OP for not using your preferred wordings, nevertheless not helping the OP on topic until your last post.
Personally, I do not understand the need for the sarpi project and that's why I don't use anything from there, nor am I interested to get involved in. Additionally, I might have some other standards than deliberately confusing users with intentional omissions:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...5/#post5803468
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...6/#post5752512
On the quality standards, I'd like to point out that during my university studies I followed an optional Pedagogy course, just out of curiosity, and I remember having a teacher that acted like a broken pick-up, constantly repeating that any formulation of definitions/instructions should be necessary and sufficient, over and over again... I shared this just hoping that it is also educative for you.
In the open source community you have the privilege to choose who you are collaborating with, and I'm happy and open for everyone, however, some do have a temper issue and I take this privilege/liberty to tolerate them but not really to collaborate.

Finally, since drmozes is the Slackware ARM official maintainer, the ultimate authority and the pylon I rely my Slackware ARM trust on, I suggested some amendments to the official Slackware ARM Raspberry Pi page, in the form of a copy/paste, he disconsidered that and we're all happy now.

/unsubscribed
 
Old 02-25-2018, 02:13 AM   #14
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 232

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
I do not understand the need for the sarpi project and that's why I don't use anything from there, nor am I interested to get involved in.
OK abga, it's very simple. When you post something that is misleading, or inaccurate, you're going to get people (like me) who will correct you. Obviously, others are going to read your posts and take onboard what's written and if that's erroneous, or not factual, then it only leads to further confusion and misunderstanding down the line. Referring to rpi-update as 'their tool' is inaccurate and misleading because the SARPi Project doesn't support or encourage the use of this tool.

If demanding and expecting accuracy is a crime (from myself as well as others) then I am guilty as charged. If correcting inaccuracy is a crime then I am guilty as charged.

One reason why there's an untold number of Slackware ARM users saying (and believing) they've "installed SARPi" or are "running SARPi" is due to misinformation. This terminology is factually incorrect and practically impossible.
 
Old 02-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
glorsplitz
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Distribution: slackware!
Posts: 632

Rep: Reputation: 123Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
Slackware ARM rocks. SARPi doesn't rock.
Why is that? Exaga is riding drmozes coat tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
Please don't confuse yourself, and others, by not understanding what SARPi actually is.
What is your interpretation of what SARPi is?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Errors in Upgrading to Fedora 22 from 21 lAAPPYc Linux - Newbie 1 02-27-2016 09:30 PM
Errors upgrading Ubuntu server 12.04 Bob Fletcher Linux - Server 4 02-12-2013 07:26 AM
errors when upgrading from ehad to 2006.0 jabka Mandriva 0 10-18-2005 03:57 AM
Errors after upgrading glib simonalex Linux - Software 2 08-14-2004 01:42 PM
iptables errors since upgrading to RH 8.0 pdibona Linux - Networking 2 02-17-2003 08:53 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration