LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Xfce starts too fast


The fast start is great but I'm experiencing a peculiar nuisance.

I have Thunderbird in my autostart directory. Since forever I boot into runlevel 3. When I launch Xfce through startx, Thunderbird starts but the fonts are all quite tiny.

Sometimes conky starts and then disappears. Still running, just not visible.

I can close T-Bird and restart and all fonts are normal. Likewise with killing an restarting conky.

"Launch GNOME services on startup" did not help.

Hardware is a i5-6400 Quad Core and onboard HD Graphics 530.

Any direct solution or work-around?

Thanks.

Edit: The font issue with T-Bird is not repeatable. Usually T-Bird opens with tiny fonts but not always. Logging out and back in does not always resolve the problem either. I am testing Xfce at home before testing at work, so resolving this issue would be nice.

Last edited by upnort; 08-24-2019 at 03:53 PM.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
kgs
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 4
Instead of adding Thunderbird and Conky to the autostart directory, add a script that calls them after a delay. Create the file "delayed_start_programs.sh" and add to it the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 5
thunderbird &
conky &
Then do "chmod +x delayed_start_programs.sh" to make it executable. Add that to the autostart directory. I have no idea if this will work, but it should.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Then do "chmod +x delayed_start_programs.sh" to make it executable. Add that to the autostart directory. I have no idea if this will work, but it should.
Probably would, but I was hoping for a direct approach within Xfce.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,078

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
afce4 yes KGS , OP just create your script, then in xfce autostart setup in the menu open that and add it in there, using the add tab -- then follow the prompts to add it in.

I keep my scripts in a local bin then if running xfce that is how I use them to autostart.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
OP just create your script
Yeah, I know, but that is a clunky work-around for a problem that should not exist.

I might have found a solution. I'll wait a few days before announcing success. I noticed an xsession log entry complaining that ~/.cache/session/xfce4-session-$HOSTNAME:0 could not be found. On logout I run a cleanup script. That script was removing the ~/.cache/sessions directory. I never used sessions although I see their benefit. I commented out the line in the script that removed that directory. Now when Thunderbird opens I see normal font sizes. Fingers crossed.

I also rebuilt my profile. Perhaps that was related too.

Last edited by upnort; 08-24-2019 at 08:08 PM.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,078

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
Yeah, I know, but that is a clunky work-around for a problem that should not exist.

I might have found a solution. I'll wait a few days before announcing success. I noticed an xsession log entry complaining that ~/.cache/session/xfce4-session-$HOSTNAME:0 could not be found. On logout I run a cleanup script. That script was removing the ~/.cache/sessions directory. I never used sessions although I see their benefit. I commented out the line in the script that removed that directory. Now when Thunderbird opens I see normal font sizes. Fingers crossed....
how are you starting this? startx and .xinitrc, you can do what you need in there then call for startxfce4
give that a try.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
how are you starting this?
Refer to the original post.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #8
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,416

Rep: Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352
upnort, I'm not being flippant but if you don't like the script idea, and would prefer an Xfce solution...then don't autostart thunderbird, just click on it once Xfce loads.

With that said, click on thunderbird in your session and startup (all settings), then edit the entry and after thunderbird (in command section) put -p 10 (this should cause it to pause loading for 10 seconds), adjust that to how long you wish/like. I do that with orage.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/xfce-how...program/6961/3

Last edited by ChuangTzu; 08-24-2019 at 08:29 PM.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
upnort, I'm not being flippant but if you don't like the script idea, and would prefer an Xfce solution...then don't autostart thunderbird, just click on it once Xfce loads.
I agree there are available work-arounds. And yes, you're being flippant.
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,416

Rep: Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
I agree there are available work-arounds. And yes, you're being flippant.
editing the autostart command works, for 10 second delay add
Code:
-p 10
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
editing the autostart command works, for 10 second delay add
Do you mean for conky? Coincidentally I have been using that option for a few years.

That all started some years ago. I built a demo system. I never could figure out why conky would not display correctly on starting X. Conky would appear just fine and then boink -- disappear. Still running, just disappear.

Eventually I found the pause parameter. On a whim I tried that. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an older system. If I remember correctly I needed 20 seconds on that system to avoid the conky poltergeist.

In my office I have an i5-640. I still use the pause option, at 5 seconds. Now that I am seeing Xfce start much faster than MATE I might bump that to 7 or 8.

I restarted Xfce probably two dozen times this afternoon and evening before quitting. I was unable to replicate the tiny font issue with Thunderbird or the conky disappearance. I don't know which of the aformentioned two approaches are responsible, or possibly both.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,416

Rep: Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352Reputation: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
Do you mean for conky? Coincidentally I have been using that option for a few years.

That all started some years ago. I built a demo system. I never could figure out why conky would not display correctly on starting X. Conky would appear just fine and then boink -- disappear. Still running, just disappear.

Eventually I found the pause parameter. On a whim I tried that. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an older system. If I remember correctly I needed 20 seconds on that system to avoid the conky poltergeist.

In my office I have an i5-640. I still use the pause option, at 5 seconds. Now that I am seeing Xfce start much faster than MATE I might bump that to 7 or 8.

I restarted Xfce probably two dozen times this afternoon and evening before quitting. I was unable to replicate the tiny font issue with Thunderbird or the conky disappearance. I don't know which of the aformentioned two approaches are responsible, or possibly both.
Its fixed now? and yes you can use that for anything auto-starting on Xfce, just space them out a second or two each. I'm not one for things starting in parallel, because it can turn to mush very quickly and sorting out dry ingredients from wet when baking is much easier before mixing.
 
Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Its fixed now?
Maybe.

Since both building the Xfce profile from scratch and not deleting ~/.cache/sessions I have been unable to replicate the T-Bird tiny fonts issue or the conky disappearance. I haven't had time to explore further for the actual root cause. I'm not tagging the thread solved until I can explore.

Quote:
I'm not one for things starting in parallel
Me neither, which is one reason I avoid systemd on the home systems. I can't avoid at work, but those servers have limited and focused purposes and rarely is systemd any trouble.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Although not conclusive, I ran a one-shot test of deleting ~/.cache/sessions and then starting Xfce. Thunderbird again launched with tiny fonts. I had to temporarily enable Automatically save session on logout. After Xfce saved a session file, I disabled the option and T-Bird behaves. Only a one-time test. I did not test for repeatability.
 
Old 09-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
upnort
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 1,111

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The Thunderbird small font issue returned. My solution right now is not autostart the damned thing. I hate bullsh_t problems like this that should never exist in the first place.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: My Nerd Life: Too Loud, Too Funny, Too Smart, Too Fat LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-24-2014 05:21 AM
System Time increasing too too fast!!!! sheikhsa Red Hat 5 02-20-2007 07:47 AM
Mozilla always starts when X starts zadox Linux - Desktop 2 09-03-2006 11:56 AM
Mozilla starts automatically when X starts zadox Linux - Desktop 2 09-03-2006 11:55 AM
Two Fluxbox Versions - Root starts newest,User starts oldest fortezza Linux - Software 1 05-21-2006 01:17 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration