LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


View Poll Results: What is Slackware's most enduring virtue?
SlackBuilds / The ability to compile from source 24 33.80%
BSD-style init system 27 38.03%
It just works! 49 69.01%
Text-based installer 13 18.31%
Other (comment in posts below) 10 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #76
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 352

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_powerslacker View Post
Curious that you should make that particular comparison.
I have my reasons, mostly because ships were designed by architects and engineers. Even if they sink one can still pull them out and make them float again.
The thing about battlecruisers in particular is a solid frame, they only ever get patches to outer shell and extensions, never the skeleton.
It just makes sense to compare engineered things, unlike the recent trend where 'the cook' makes food which one can consume, but can't 'uncook' or recycle.
Because of that nonsense, users are flooded with unhealthy or poisonous software which disintegrates over time, while 'the cook' is blindly trusted and praised.
It's very common, but unfair comparison, especially to real cooks who are responsible people.
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #77
gwcadwell
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I came to Slackware to teach myself. I wanted to learn "Linux", not how to use this distro's tools compared to anothers. I wanted to learn how the OS truly worked. So I installed Slackware. And then broke it. Reinstalled, and broke it again. This is how I learned, and am still learning to this day. By not giving me the easy path to take Slackware made it so I learned how to do things the hard way. Many of the graphical tools change from version to version, but the old familiar terminal is still there. It seems simple but basic knowledge of commands helps more than you could ever image. I recently took over as Network Admin for a network of all Apple computers and I have never been happier than when I saw the "Send Unix Command" option in Apple Remote Desktop. I was able to use skills I learned from my hobby at work.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #78
montagdude
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 613

Rep: Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427
I already posted here but just voted now. I voted "SlackBuilds / ability to compile from source" and "It just works." Honestly, #1 is available in pretty much every distro as far as I know, but Slackware makes it easier and more accessible than most. I should have also voted for Other: simple package management system. IMO, that should be one of the named choices.

Other than that, I don't care much about either way about the installer (as long as it works) or the init system.

Last edited by montagdude; 09-01-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Remove some stuff
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #79
mymarkers
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: SuSE 9.1, Debian 3.1
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1
Because I got sick of all the "easy" point-and-click install wizards that booted me to a nice pretty desktop where nothing actually worked and I couldn't fix it.

Okay, so that's an oversimplified exaggeration that's a bit unfair to other distributions. I got into Linux a little over ten years ago when it was finally time to move on from classic MacOS. I bought a Dell PC and dual booted that with SuSE Linux. SuSE was okay, but I never could use it for much more than browsing the web and sending emails. A year or two later, Ubuntu was all the rage. I gave Ubuntu a try; superficially it worked great but I think it lasted less than 24 hours before I nuked it. At this point, I'd gotten everything I wanted to work in at least one distribution but never at the same time. I was also running low on blank CD's. So I started looking for single disc installs. I picked Vector Linux out of a list of small distributions and gave it a try. I worked my way through the install that I don't recall being much different than a Slackware install. The system rebooted. Almost everything worked right away. I could listen to music, play DVD's, mount network shares, compile from source and more. For the handful of things that didn't work right away, I found a quick and easy solution that actually worked. Eventually, I figured since Vector is based on Slackware then I may as well just try Slackware itself. And thanks to the installer not automatically partitioning for me, I could install Slackware without jeopardizing my personal files, Vector, or Windows. Eventually, I stopped using the others altogether until the computer died.

I switched to a Mac because I still didn't want Windows, I like at least having the option of a mainstream OS, and I'd come to appreciate the Unix under the hood. I've been using that one for several years now. Now, I'm looking to dedicate my Mac full-time to a music studio and convert a cheap old PC to the home office. Windows 10 is unusable, so some kind of *nix has to go on there. I've tried a sample of distributions, but this time I didn't even bother with the easy distributions. FreeBSD went great until I couldn't get X to work. When I started reading their (excellent) instructions, I realized even in the best case scenario that's way more hands-on work than I want to do. So I gave TrueOS a try last night. The point-and-click installs seemed great. Then it didn't boot at all. Now the Slackware disc is in the drive and the only thing holding it back is the perfect late summer weather for the upcoming weekend.

I never set out to be one of those people who claims to use Slackware because it's easier than the other distributions. But based on other responses, I'm not the only one who has stumbled to that conclusion. I give credit to the people who can get the "user friendly" and "just works" distributions to do what they want because they must have more patience and skill than me.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #80
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 393

Rep: Reputation: 85
What is with the obsession? Slackware is a good Distro. OK..... We get it!!!!
Windows is a good OS. OK..... We get it!!!!
Macs are alright as well. When you got people who can't see the forest for the trees, then they end up lost with the fanboy and girls stuff.

If Slackware suits you OK, whoopty doo!!!!
If Macs suits you OK, whoopty doo!!!!
If Windows suits you OK, whoopty doo!!!!
If BSD suits you OK, whoopty doo!!!!
If ReactOS suits you OK, whoopty doo!!!!

Having redundant topics about how great slackware is and how nothing compares to it, is like saying you can't get nothing accomplish without. When a flat head screwdriver doesn't work, improvise (butter-knife). I find a tool that does, whether it be Slack, Mac or Windows. There is nothing Slackware can do that any other distro or OS can't. Its NOT GOD......

And yes, I kept one copy on my laptop for research purposes.

P.S

I guess anyone who drives an automatic wants to be spoon-fed, because a stick shift makes the car better. What has this world come to? Someone don't use a command or terminal then their lazy? I can't wait til all you sheep are eaten by the wolves.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 09-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.
 
Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #81
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,818
Blog Entries: 27

Rep: Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113
Member response

Hi,

Personally I do not see the use of Slackware as a obsession nor speaking about Slackware is a problem. No one is forcing you to read the thread.

If you happen to read LQ Rules then you should remember a few like;
Quote:
  • Do not post if you do not have anything constructive to say in the post.
  • When posting in an existing thread, ensure that what you're posting is on-topic and relevant to the thread. If the content of your post will interfere with the current discussion, you should start a new thread
Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #82
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 393

Rep: Reputation: 85
And no one is forcing you to respond, but you did. So what's your point? Because you're a mod and you feel you have the power?
 
Old 09-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #83
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,818
Blog Entries: 27

Rep: Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113Reputation: 2113
Member response

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
And no one is forcing you to respond, but you did. So what's your point? Because you're a mod and you feel you have the power?
Yes, I am a moderator and a LQ member. Your negative response did not follow the LQ Rules

As a member I will respond to negative feedback. My being a mod had nothing to do with my response other than as a responsible LQ member to point out your violation(s) of the rules. If you take my posting as a power move then your misinterpretations are noted.

As responsible LQ member I responded to your non-constructive post to this thread!

Let us get the thread back on topic!
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #84
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 393

Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,


Yes, I am a moderator and a LQ member. Your negative response did not follow the LQ Rules

As a member I will respond to negative feedback. My being a mod had nothing to do with my response other than as a responsible LQ member to point out your violation(s) of the rules. If you take my posting as a power move then your misinterpretations are noted.

As responsible LQ member I responded to your non-constructive post to this thread!

Let us get the thread back on topic!
And yet... there are many that go off topic and you chose to stalk my post. If you were good at being a mod then there would be no nonsense in any topics. So what's your logic or angle? You're not ready for me so fallback. Stop cherry picking. Hopefully you don't live life the same way you mod because that would equal failure.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 09-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.
 
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #85
ivandi
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Québec, Canada
Distribution: SlackMATE on top of Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 376

Rep: Reputation: 471Reputation: 471Reputation: 471Reputation: 471Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
What is with the obsession? Slackware is a good Distro. OK..... We get it!!!!
.....
Having redundant topics about how great slackware is and how nothing compares to it, is like saying you can't get nothing accomplish without.
Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups

Quote:
Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Revised

Janja Lalich, Ph.D. & Michael D. Langone, Ph.D.

Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members, former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may have been manipulated, exploited, even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may be helpful in assessing a particular group or relationship.

Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine if there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a cult scale or a definitive checklist to determine if a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.
  • The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.
  • ‪Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
  • ‪Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
  • ‪The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).
  • The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).
  • ‪The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
  • ‪The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).
  • ‪The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).
  • ‪The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.
  • ‪Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.
  • ‪The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
  • ‪The group is preoccupied with making money.
  • Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.
  • ‪Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.
  • ‪The most loyal members (the true believers) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
Bare in mind that this forum is not Slackware. Most of the loudmouths here are just a bunch of wannabe geeks and refugees from Windows who think that using the "not for newbies" distribution makes them special.

After removing the bloat and the outdated stuff from Slackware, you can still find an up to date tool chain, xorg and a good enough package manager. So you can build something usable upon it. It saves you a lot of time compared to LFS/BLFS.


Cheers
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #86
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 393

Rep: Reputation: 85
It's good to see not everyone is bias, one track minded, and D.... Riders.
I have respect for you even though you haven't held my hand and catered to me, because God knows
I'm a grown man and never accomplish anything on my own. I have been spoonfed all my life. I need help turning on my computer at times, even my smart tv. I thought it was smart enough to turn itself on. I guess if I don't do it I can't watch Hulu or Netflix because I'm lazy...... The brainwashed sheeps. LoL

And this is why I'm in a very good situation Financial, Mentally and physically. I can tell you this, I didn't get where I'm at in life doing things the hardway or following. I was born a leader and will die one. I will dictate how my life will revolve, not linux or Mac or windows etc....
Don't need to be a mod to manipulate the mind when I can do it physically or verbally. That is my forte. Been doing it for decades, why stop now?

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 09-01-2017 at 10:09 PM.
 
Old 09-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #87
1337_powerslacker
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 517
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
The reason I started this thread was because almost everyone who runs Slackware is justifiably proud of this distro, and would like to share their story about how they got there. Almost everyone who has posted thus far has interpreted my question in the way I intended.

If you have interpreted it in a different fashion, then I can only say that the question was not intended for boasters. I do not believe that merely telling one's story makes one out to be better than anyone else; rather, it's a place for sharing. That is all that was ever intended.

Just my

Happy Slacking, everyone!

P.S. Thanks for sharing your stories. It has been most fascinating to see the unique journeys people have taken to arrive at Slackware.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:21 AM   #88
fido_dogstoyevsky
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 128
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_powerslacker View Post
...If you have interpreted it in a different fashion, then I can only say that the question was not intended for boasters...
How can anyone boast about "I booted from a DVD, selected a few options and then everything just worked"?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #89
1337_powerslacker
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 517
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido_dogstoyevsky View Post
How can anyone boast about "I booted from a DVD, selected a few options and then everything just worked"?
Not I. I just like my computer to work all day, every day. Nothing complicated about that.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #90
SCerovec
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cp6uja
Distribution: Slackware on x86 and arm
Posts: 1,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Lightbulb

I risk here posting to an member who is perhaps "in the cooler" already, but the issue is 100% on topic so there goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
...[snip]
There is nothing Slackware can do that any other distro or OS can't. Its NOT GOD......
[snip]...
but there is:
Code:
10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 > 11.0 > 11.1 > 11.2 > 12.0 > 12.1 > 12.2 > 13.0 > 13.1 > 13.37 > 14.0 > 14.1 > 14.2
  1     2      3      4      5      6      7      8      9      10     11     12     13     14     15
fifteen times in a row upgrade the system, to new release, without fail - provied RTFM the provided HOWTO-upgrade.txt

Any other distro has to top that yet (been there, don't try persuade me - I know better).

And i don't count no rolling release distros - they break too often for my taste (and too sudden) and rely on local backup too much for my liking.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration