LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #61
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,271
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.l.'s pa View Post
No, not necessarily. Anyway, I certainly appreciate the work that goes into the Arch wiki -- it's been a great source of info for me
I think Arch wiki provides recipes and howto's not documentation.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #62
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 2,668

Rep: Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727
Common reason why some probably won't use Slackware: "Muh package management and muh dependency checking."
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #63
m.a.l.'s pa
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: albuquerque
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
I think Arch wiki provides recipes and howto's not documentation.
Oh, right, so that must be why at the top of the main page of the Arch wiki you find the following: "Welcome to the ArchWiki: your source for Arch Linux documentation on the web." Lol.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #64
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 5,729

Rep: Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchArael View Post
All of that can be done in Slackware. The goal of my post was to show that it requires more dedication and constant effort.
Yes. When you're starting out with Slackware it requires dedication and effort to read the documentation to set-up your Slackware system.
Once a Slackware-stable system is set-up I don't think it requires constant effort to maintain it. If you want to continue to grow in your understanding of Slackware that requires effort.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #65
ArchArael
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
Hm, so your question is in one line with: why did you stop using Mandrake, CRUX and other from your list.

judging on your experience almost every distribution is easy to tweak but for you. For others? I don't know. It is enough to look at forums dedicated to Ubuntu.
I don't understand what is your point. I didn't ask questions in this thread. What do you mean with my question is in line with why did you stop using Mandrake, CRUX and other from your list? If you are provoking then you are wasting your time, I don't care nor want to argue on forums. If we cannot have a civil exchange and learn from each other I will just ignore your posts.

I used those distributions for couple of months tops. Slackware has been my distro for years.

There is nothing difficult in tweaking a distro. Of course in Slackware is easier but that doesn't mean you cannot do it in others. All you need to do is read the documentation and ask questions to people who know more than you do.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #66
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,271
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.l.'s pa View Post
Oh, right, so that must be why at the top of the main page of the Arch wiki you find the following: "Welcome to the ArchWiki: your source for Arch Linux documentation on the web." Lol.
I am not responsible what actually people from Arch put on top of their web page. Just go and look for real documentation: say old X server has eleven books of documentation each of which is hundreds of pages. Read documentation for POSIX standards. I think that people from Arch they just address their recipes all together as documentation - but it is more or less cookbook.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #67
ArchArael
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Yes. When you're starting out with Slackware it requires dedication and effort to read the documentation to set-up your Slackware system.
Once a Slackware-stable system is set-up I don't think it requires constant effort to maintain it. If you want to continue to grow in your understanding of Slackware that requires effort.
It depends on what you define as effort. I think it takes effort to keep with updates of the additional packages. If your needs never change and you add only a couple of packages then of course you are right. There is nothing else to do.

Best case is when you don't need anything else besides the official repo. Then there is really no more effort to put in it. In this case I absolutely agree.

Last edited by ArchArael; 08-26-2018 at 11:44 AM.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #68
m.a.l.'s pa
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: albuquerque
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
I am not responsible what actually people from Arch put on top of their web page. Just go and look for real documentation: say old X server has eleven books of documentation each of which is hundreds of pages. Read documentation for POSIX standards. I think that people from Arch they just address their recipes all together as documentation - but it is more or less cookbook.
Okay, whatever, call it a cookbook if that makes you happy. In any case, I disagree with your comment that "More detailed documentation just causes even more confusion," but maybe that's how it seems to you. Maybe you don't get anything out of man pages, either, I don't know.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #69
Gordie
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Nolalu, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 520

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchArael View Post
It depends on what you define as effort. I think it takes effort to keep with updates of the additional packages. If your needs never change and you add only a couple of packages then of course you are right. There is nothing else to do.

Best case is when you don't need anything else besides the official repo. Then there is really no more effort to put in it. In this case I absolutely agree.
Yes, effort is required but it is not a show-stopper for me. I am not educated in computers and am 67 years old. My laptop has Slackware64 14.2 installed as well as about 280 programs. Most of these are from SBO but some are Alien Bob's including KDE Plasma 5. My system is up to date at all times without breaking a sweat
 
Old 08-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #70
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,271
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchArael View Post
I don't understand what is your point. I didn't ask questions in this thread. What do you mean with my question is in line with why did you stop using Mandrake, CRUX and other from your list?
You have just started the other thread never giving us explanation what is the reason. Now I think there is no reason. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like you are just jumping from distro to distro. So for me your thread seems to be provocative asking people for reasons in situation you yourself didn't have reason at all to stop using Slackware. You are just jumper. It's all your reason leaving distributions.

Quote:
If you are provoking then you are wasting your time, I don't care nor want to argue on forums. If we cannot have a civil exchange and learn from each other I will just ignore your posts.
Sorry if I disturbed you. Just put this on my poor knowledge of English. I am Polish it is not possible to me to realize all the context of I am saying.

Quote:
I used those distributions for couple of months tops. Slackware has been my distro for years.
I hope you will go back soon.
Quote:
There is nothing difficult in tweaking a distro. Of course in Slackware is easier but that doesn't mean you cannot do it in others. All you need to do is read the documentation and ask questions to people who know more than you do.
I don't think many people are thinking the same. Maybe now you are the one who "knows more" than others?
 
Old 08-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #71
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,271
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.l.'s pa View Post
Maybe you don't get anything out of man pages, either, I don't know.
Code
Code:
$ man bash | less
....
it reports 3375 lines.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #72
ArchArael
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
You have just started the other thread never giving us explanation what is the reason. Now I think there is no reason. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like you are just jumping from distro to distro. So for me your thread seems to be provocative asking people for reasons in situation you yourself didn't have reason at all to stop using Slackware. You are just jumper. It's all your reason leaving distributions.
I have stated my motivation in that thread. I think you missed my post, and my intention was not to provoke there nor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
I hope you will go back soon.
The only distros I used more that two months are Slackware, Arch and Ubuntu. I am already back so you don't need to hope.

English is not my mother language either but your hostility is clear here.

Now we better stay in topic.

Last edited by ArchArael; 08-26-2018 at 12:58 PM.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #73
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 8,831

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes folks, please stay on topic.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #74
ArchArael
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
Yes, effort is required but it is not a show-stopper for me. I am not educated in computers and am 67 years old. My laptop has Slackware64 14.2 installed as well as about 280 programs. Most of these are from SBO but some are Alien Bob's including KDE Plasma 5. My system is up to date at all times without breaking a sweat
You have all my respect for the dedication.
 
Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #75
glorsplitz
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Distribution: slackware!
Posts: 708

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
ArchArael, thanks for following up, alot of OP's become MIA with follow ups
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDE Desktop didn't start correctly jcastle Linux - Desktop 6 02-22-2017 02:04 PM
gnome didnīt start : Debian GNU/Linux7 (none) tty1 individum Linux - General 2 07-27-2014 09:15 PM
clamd service didn't start neverland Linux - Server 2 04-19-2010 01:51 AM
sound driver didn't load at start-up LinuxNewbie999 *BSD 2 04-11-2008 05:42 PM
Whats's this letter saying?MS is going to start using linux, or wish it didn't exist? colinstu General 2 11-04-2006 11:24 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration