LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Which is your fav. terminal emulator under Slackware13+Xfce and why? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/which-is-your-fav-terminal-emulator-under-slackware13-xfce-and-why-755621/)

catkin 09-16-2009 10:04 AM

Which is your fav. terminal emulator under Slackware13+Xfce and why?
 
Hello :)

Terminal Emulator 0.4.0 is attractive with its tabbed windows and tight integration with Xfce ... but the command line options cannot be used to set colours or nominate a configuration profile. Maybe possible to work around by setting ${XDG_DATA_HOME} on launch and thus using multiple */Terminal/terminalrc files but ...

... before experimenting, would be nice to learn which terminal emulators are being chosen and why.

xterm? gnome-terminal? ...

Best

Charles

~sHyLoCk~ 09-16-2009 10:17 AM

I just use the xfce4's terminal in lxde and fluxbox. It's simple and lightweight.

onebuck 09-16-2009 10:32 AM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 3685152)
Hello :)

Terminal Emulator 0.4.0 is attractive with its tabbed windows and tight integration with Xfce ... but the command line options cannot be used to set colours or nominate a configuration profile. Maybe possible to work around by setting ${XDG_DATA_HOME} on launch and thus using multiple */Terminal/terminalrc files but ...

... before experimenting, would be nice to learn which terminal emulators are being chosen and why.

xterm? gnome-terminal? ...

Best

Charles

Why not just rely on the '.bashrc' & '.bash_profile' when entering a console?

GazL 09-16-2009 10:34 AM

I just use xterm because it doesn't try and do anything fancy and it's available everywhere.

catkin 09-16-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebuck (Post 3685207)
Why not just rely on the '.bashrc' & '.bash_profile' when entering a console?

Thanks onebuck :) Can they be used to set all the settings which are available via Terminal 0.4.0's Edit→Preferences? The most important one for me is Edit→Preferences→Colors, "Background color" because it is so useful to have an immediate and obvious indicator of whether a shell is a root shell or an ordinary user shell.

onebuck 09-16-2009 03:17 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 3685300)
Thanks onebuck :) Can they be used to set all the settings which are available via Terminal 0.4.0's Edit→Preferences? The most important one for me is Edit→Preferences→Colors, "Background color" because it is so useful to have an immediate and obvious indicator of whether a shell is a root shell or an ordinary user shell.

You could setup a .bashrc & .bash_profile for your user by;

Code:

sample .bash_profile;

~$ cat .bash_profile
# .bash_profile
#08-30-06 12:21
#
# Source .bashrc
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

Code:

sample .bashrc;
:~$ cat .bashrc

#.bashrc
#08-30-06 12:20

# Add bin to path

export PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:$HOME/bin"

#export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/bin"

# Dynamic resizing
shopt -s checkwinsize

# Custom prompt
#PS1='\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '

#08-29-06 11:40

if [ `id -un` = root ]; then
  PS1='\[\033[1;31m\]\h:\w\$\[\033[0m\] '
 else
  PS1='\[\033[1;32m\]\h:\w\$\[\033[0m\] '
fi

#
# Add color
eval `dircolors -b`

# User defined aliases
alias cls='clear'
alias clls='clear; ls'
alias ll='ls -l'
alias lsa='ls -A'
alias lsg='ls | grep'
alias lsp='ls -1 /var/log/packages/ > package-list'
alias na='nano'
alias web='links -g -download-dir ~/ www.google.com'

#08-29-06 11:50

#To clean up and cover your tracks once you log off
#Depending on your version of BASH, you might have to use
# the other form of this command
  trap "rm -f ~$LOGNAME/.bash_history" 0

#The older KSH-style form
#  trap 0 rm -f ~$LOGNAME/.bash_history

The .bashrc is very useful! The color for the prompt is used to indicate user or root. I like the black screen with green for user and red for root.

Karu 09-16-2009 03:41 PM

I use xterm. And tweak it's look in .Xdefaults

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~sHyLoCk~ (Post 3685176)
I just use the xfce4's terminal in lxde and fluxbox. It's simple and lightweight.

How can you say it is lightweight ? On my machine xterm takes 3MB, konsole 16MB and Terminal 25MB.

wadsworth 09-16-2009 03:59 PM

I mostly use rxvt. Same reasons - simple and speedy.
Code:

rxvt +sb -ls -bg black -fg green -title Slackware\ 64 -sl 512

piratesmack 09-16-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadsworth (Post 3685720)
I mostly use rxvt. Same reasons - simple and speedy.

^same

dive 09-16-2009 06:40 PM

rxvt-unicode

Nice and light. Perl support. Unicode. What more do you need?

sahko 09-16-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dive (Post 3686014)
rxvt-unicode

Me too. Xterm although it's a great terminal it seems too bloated for todays desktops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dive (Post 3686014)
Nice and light. Perl support. Unicode. What more do you need?

A deamon? Oh wait, rxvt-unicode has that too. :)
The only thing that rxvt-unicode is missing is proper 256 colour support, but upstream has strong feelings against that for some reason.

catkin 09-19-2009 06:22 AM

Thanks all for your replies :)

Sorry I was not clear about "colour" in the OP -- I meant background colour rather than text colour.

The "universally available" argument in favour of xterm, relevant as it must be in many cases, does not apply in my case -- I only use the one computer.

Have any of you rxvt (and derivatives) users tried Sakura and dropped it in favour of *rxvt*?

gapan 09-19-2009 06:24 AM

I just use a full screen xterm (Alt-F11) and run screen in it. I set the background to black and the fonts are white using the terminus font. I find anything fancier than that distracting.

sahko 09-19-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catkin (Post 3689524)
Have any of you rxvt (and derivatives) users tried Sakura and dropped it in favour of *rxvt*?

Not me. Sakura is a VTE based terminal. Tried one, tried em all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gapan (Post 3689527)
I just use a full screen xterm (Alt-F11) and run screen in it. I set the background to black and the fonts are white using the terminus font. I find anything fancier than that distracting.

Well, if you run xterm fullscreen there is no reason to even bother setting a backround. :P

gapan 09-19-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahko (Post 3689543)
Well, if you run xterm fullscreen there is no reason to even bother setting a backround. :P

I meant the xterm background color :P


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.