LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Post What NVIDIA driver should I install?


Code:
bash-4.3# lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
	Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=64
	I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff
	Memory behind bridge: fdc00000-fdcfffff
	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: fdb00000-fdbfffff

00:14.5 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller [1002:4399] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller [1458:5004]
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
	Memory at fe028000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
	Kernel modules: ohci_pci

--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1c81] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:372d]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
	Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at de000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at ef00 [size=128]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [250] Latency Tolerance Reporting
bash-4.3# glxinfo | grep OpenGL
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  37
  Current serial number in output stream:  38
And I installed nvidia-kernel and nvidia-drivers from slackbuilds. So I am just going to ask, how do I FIND OUT THE EXACT graphics card I have on slackware 14.2 with no prior information on it and what drivers do I install?
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,438

Rep: Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591
i am guessing that this is a laptop
( from the vga output )

what is the make and model of this laptop
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,192

Rep: Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853Reputation: 1853
Quote:
NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1c81]
PCI 10de NVIDIA Corporation 1c81 GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] according to this
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS
Posts: 5,823

Rep: Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325Reputation: 1325
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackwarefanboy View Post
So I am just going to ask, how do I FIND OUT THE EXACT graphics card I have
Your lspci gave us:

Code:
NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1c81]
The 10de is the vendor id and the 1c81 is the device id. From

https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/10DE

I can see that it is a "GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]"

Evo2.

P.S See also https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-dated-793966/

Last edited by evo2; 06-11-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: P.S.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Okay So I created “/etc/modprobe.d/” directory containing the text

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
and named it appropriately; for instance, “disable_nouveau.conf” I then Installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.26.run while not in xmode. I got the sh file from their website. I DO HAVE A 1050 but it is a custom built desktop I bought from ebay a while back. I also tried creating a file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf with the following content:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Nvidia Corporation"
BoardName ""
EndSection

AFTER rebooting because it didn't allow me to do so for some reason... I received a "
WARNING: Unable to determine the path to install the libgvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config adn the libvnd development libraries installed or specify a path with --glvnd egl-config-path" and Idk what that means and I also chose NOT to run the NVIDIA-xconfig util during the installation. I am going to reboot again and see if dota2 works.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
When I run steam this occurs in the terminal:

Code:
bash-4.3$ steam
Couldn't find dpkg, please update steamdeps for your distribution.
    Actually, don't worry - this is Slackware!

Running Steam on slackware 14.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
registry.cpp (250) : Assertion Failed: on disk registry has changed and is marked dirty - we're about to lose data.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1.0)
crash_20190612190000_2.dmp[2783]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
/tmp/dumps/crash_20190612190000_2.dmp
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1556574584)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
crash_20190612190000_2.dmp[2783]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
crash_20190612190000_2.dmp[2783]: response: CrashID=bp-96767560-d4e8-4f14-a07b-fe3482190612
crash_20190612190000_2.dmp[2783]: file ''/tmp/dumps/crash_20190612190000_2.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-96767560-d4e8-4f14-a07b-fe3482190612''
my /etc/modprobe.d may have been altered while I was installing nvidia by the installer because I think I let them figuring it couldn't hurt. It now contains:
"README
disable_nouveau.conf
.disable_nouveau.conf
" which I am assuming isn't okay for some reason.

so now it appears what ever I did and its connection to openGL is causing steam to crash.

Last edited by Slackwarefanboy; 06-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,716
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 478Reputation: 478Reputation: 478Reputation: 478Reputation: 478
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...0/#post5999449
Code:
git clone https://github.com/Drakeo/nvidia-update.git
cd nvidia-update 
su  -c "sh nvidia-update.SlackBuild"
su  -c "upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new /tmp/nvidia-update-0.2-noarch-1.txz"
then reboot be happy
 
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...0/#post5999449
Code:
git clone https://github.com/Drakeo/nvidia-update.git
cd nvidia-update 
su  -c "sh nvidia-update.SlackBuild"
su  -c "upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new /tmp/nvidia-update-0.2-noarch-1.txz"
then reboot be happy
Hmmm do you mind elaborating on what happened exactly?
 
Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #9
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well it may have done something but it didn't seem to fix my steam issue:
Code:
bash-4.3$ steam
Couldn't find dpkg, please update steamdeps for your distribution.
    Actually, don't worry - this is Slackware!

Running Steam on slackware 14.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1556574584)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
 
Old 06-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #10
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Slackware 14.2, Slackware{32,64}-current
Posts: 891
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 367Reputation: 367Reputation: 367Reputation: 367
Slackwarefanboy,
  1. You need to know what hardware is installed in your box (look inside!). [vendor:device] codes are easy to search for.
  2. You need to be able to READ the "Supported Products" tab on nvidia.com.
  3. You need to READ the installation instructions for GPU driver installation.
  4. You need to check LQ for your question; this has all been discussed before.
  5. You can't install the SBo versions AND the nvidia install script. Pick one.
  6. If you screw up (and you did), you need to remove everything and reinstall mesa and xorg-server
  7. The SBo scripts create the 10-nvidia.conf for you. As will the NVIDIA*.run script though with a different file name.
  8. The only thing you need in modeprobe.d is from extra/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1.txz
  9. “/etc/modprobe.d/” directory already exists in a standard Slackware install. Why did you create it?
  10. swrast is part of X.org needs properly fuctioning drivers. See what is missing with
    Code:
    ldd /usr/bin/glxgears

I do not recommend Drakeo's script.

Last edited by kingbeowulf; 06-13-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbeowulf View Post
Slackwarefanboy,
  1. You need to know what hardware is installed in your box (look inside!). [vendor:device] codes are easy to search for.
  2. You need to be able to READ the "Supported Products" tab on nvidia.com.
  3. You need to READ the installation instructions for GPU driver installation.
  4. You need to check LQ for your question; this has all been discussed before.
  5. You can't install the SBo versions AND the nvidia install script. Pick one.
  6. If you screw up (and you did), you need to remove everything and reinstall mesa and xorg-server
  7. The SBo scripts create the 10-nvidia.conf for you. As will the NVIDIA*.run script though with a different file name.
  8. The only thing you need in modeprobe.d is from extra/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1.txz
  9. /etc/modprobe.d/ directory already exists in a standard Slackware install. Why did you create it?
  10. swrast is part of X.org needs properly fuctioning drivers. See what is missing with
    Code:
    ldd /usr/bin/glxgears

I do not recommend Drakeo's script.
Yea you're right, I forgot I Installed both drivers. Will run clean install and redo.
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbeowulf View Post
Slackwarefanboy,
  1. You need to know what hardware is installed in your box (look inside!). [vendor:device] codes are easy to search for.
  2. You need to be able to READ the "Supported Products" tab on nvidia.com.
  3. You need to READ the installation instructions for GPU driver installation.
  4. You need to check LQ for your question; this has all been discussed before.
  5. You can't install the SBo versions AND the nvidia install script. Pick one.
  6. If you screw up (and you did), you need to remove everything and reinstall mesa and xorg-server
  7. The SBo scripts create the 10-nvidia.conf for you. As will the NVIDIA*.run script though with a different file name.
  8. The only thing you need in modeprobe.d is from extra/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist/xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1.txz
  9. /etc/modprobe.d/ directory already exists in a standard Slackware install. Why did you create it?
  10. swrast is part of X.org needs properly fuctioning drivers. See what is missing with
    Code:
    ldd /usr/bin/glxgears

I do not recommend Drakeo's script.
Okay so I did a full reinstall of the os, made it multilib and am now trying to install the nvidia-kernel slackbuild but I get this error message:

Code:
bash-4.3# KERNEL=4.4.14 ./nvidia-kernel.SlackBuild
Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.14..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.4.14'

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
compile the kernel:

gcc version 5.3.0 (GCC) 

does not match the compiler used here:

cc (GCC) 5.5.0
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.


It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".
However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel/Kbuild:182: recipe for target 'cc_version_check' failed
make[2]: *** [cc_version_check] Error 1
Makefile:1385: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.4.14'
Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
bash-4.3#
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackwarefanboy View Post
Okay so I did a full reinstall of the os, made it multilib and am now trying to install the nvidia-kernel slackbuild but I get this error message:

Code:
bash-4.3# KERNEL=4.4.14 ./nvidia-kernel.SlackBuild
Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.14..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.4.14'

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
compile the kernel:

gcc version 5.3.0 (GCC) 

does not match the compiler used here:

cc (GCC) 5.5.0
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.


It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".
However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel/Kbuild:182: recipe for target 'cc_version_check' failed
make[2]: *** [cc_version_check] Error 1
Makefile:1385: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/SBo/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14/kernel] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.4.14'
Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
bash-4.3#
I also installed xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1.txz and libvdpau-va-gl-0.4.2-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz

My hardware registers as a VGA plugged into a NVIDIA device 1c81. My kernel is:
Code:
bash-4.3# uname -a
Linux slackbox 4.4.14 #2 SMP Fri Jun 24 13:38:27 CDT 2016 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
So now there is issues between the kernel which is written in C and the cc compiler I believe and of course they'll all tie into the driver. This is a pretty "raw" error.
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,638

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Make sure you are running a fully updated Slackware 14.2 install, I think you are running the original 14.2 kernel while you have updated other packages like gcc.
 
Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Slackwarefanboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2019
Location: Garden State
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 110

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
Make sure you are running a fully updated Slackware 14.2 install, I think you are running the original 14.2 kernel while you have updated other packages like gcc.
Indeed, which option should I choose below?
Code:
bash-4.3# slackpkg upgrade glibc-solibs

Checking local integrity... DONE
You have a broken /var/log/packages - with two versions of the same package.
The list of packages duplicated in your machine are shown below, but don't
worry about this list - when you select your action, slackpkg will show a
better list:

xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.12-x86_64-1
xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1

You can (B)lacklist, (R)emove, or (I)gnore these packages.
Select your action (B/R/I):
I mean what does "a better list" exactly mean, do these two packages contain the same source code?

Well I ran:
Code:
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg clean-system
choosing to replace the files prompted towards me.

I now receive:

Code:
bash-4.3# ./nvidia-kernel.SlackBuild
Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.14..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.4.14/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
bash-4.3# KERNEL=4.4.14 ./nvidia-kernel.SlackBuild
Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.14
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 430.14..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.4.14/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
and I chose to remove the files concerning: slackpkg upgrade glibc-solibs

Last edited by Slackwarefanboy; 06-13-2019 at 02:43 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
nvidia driver, slackware 14.2


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia-driver SBo The symbolic link '/usr/lib/libGL.so.1' does not point to 'tmp/SBo/package-nvidia-driver/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1' Gerardo Zamudio Slackware 5 07-30-2017 10:44 PM
Should I install NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M driver on Ubuntu 11.10? jack_green Ubuntu 10 01-23-2012 06:38 PM
[help]Could not install nvidia driver : ./nvidia-installer: No such file or directory anchunlei Debian 4 04-18-2008 05:30 AM
Nvidia Problem: can't install nvidia driver for FC6 Chuong Linux - Software 7 10-30-2006 04:43 AM
nvidia fx5600 loads vesa driver instead of nvidia driver saburo62 Linux - Hardware 3 05-04-2004 03:59 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration