Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.


  Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Distribution: Slackware 13.37, 14.2
Posts: 365

Rep: Reputation: 79
Question Wait for Slackware 13.1

I have been waiting for Slackware 13.1 to come out and am wondering how long that might be ???

I have been running Slackware since I got a CD out of the back of the Linux Unleashed book (1994). I currently run 2.4.31, having been through most of the intermediate versions. I still have programs that I have not got working from the last upgrade and do not look forward to another 3 months of upgading. I fixed one nagging problem only last week (jed on X-window, Home End keys did not work).

This is used for business and upgrade time is downtime.

I write programs constantly and the current setup works for that, but some of the new downloads are having so many problems.
Tried to compile Boost libs last night, got 140 failures.

My question is:
How is 13.0 working ?? Buggy, needs improvement, wait for 13.1, few problems, or no problems ??
Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Westray, Orkney
Distribution: Linux Mint 17.1
Posts: 1,424

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
I'm not a programmer, but I run Slackware current, and I have not had any problem that is a show stopper. I would suggest that if you use a computer for business you will have more than one. Good practice would suggest that you set up a machine and run it concurrent with your existing system to ensure that all of your needs are met to a satisfactory standard. Then and only then should you upgrade.

OH! and welcome to linuxquestions Slackware forum.


Last edited by samac; 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
For my uses , which are different from yours, 13 was fine. I really like current. I haven't had anything that I consider problematic in either although there were a couple of nuisances with 13 that cleared up with current. Everything except a few KDE apps seem to work just fine. Konqueror occasionally crashes if I'm doing much more than browsing my folders with it. Thats about my only complaint.

Last edited by damgar; 01-29-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
LQ Guru
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Just wanted to mention too, in case it's relevant here: Boost is included with 13.0 + where IIRC, it was not included with prior versions (certainly not Slack 11, though I'm not certain about 12.x)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 4,719
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219Reputation: 2219
I see KDE 4.3.5 has just been released so I'm hoping we get an update for that in current before it goes into the release candidate freeze. My gut also tells me that Pat will probably want to avoid the .33.y kernels as they'll be too new an untested (especially with all that kernel mode settings stuff in it), so I suspect he'll go with the latest 32.y kernel for the next release.

If I was to guess, I'd say we'll see a release candidate within 1-2 months, and a release 1-2 months after that, but I don't know any more than you do. "It'll be ready when it's ready" as we say in slackware circles.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Registered: Mar 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 264

Rep: Reputation: 68
Same as always "When it's ready."
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
LQ Guru
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,087

Rep: Reputation: 338Reputation: 338Reputation: 338Reputation: 338
I just installed Slackware 13 today
nice screenshots

stole hag-exit-fluxbox and my config from debian setup


As usual, I first did slackpkg upgrade-all
as it was a slack 13.0 cd
then sbopkg
then src2pkg and deb2tgz

then jwm as wm from source, Slim also as dm, and fbpanel and lxpanel,etc
I also added e17 too, very nice

I havent had a glitch!
very stable
boots in less than 30sec

and autologin as root or user with Slim!!

If I could make it into a livecd I would
I'm gonna try live scripts and we'll see...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Norway
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 446

Rep: Reputation: 59
No one knows when the next release is. But if it's a production system, and it isn't working properly now, you need to fix it. I would probably try to install slackware 13.0 right away on a different harddrive so you could easily go back to your old system if it isn't working like you want it to.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: slackware, OpenBSD, OSX
Posts: 206

Rep: Reputation: 20
Originally Posted by selfprogrammed View Post
My question is:
How is 13.0 working ?? Buggy, needs improvement, wait for 13.1, few problems, or no problems ??
I'm running current on this IBM R51 laptop and it is absolutely flawless...a big improvement over 13.0. Get alienBob's iso creation script and make yourself up a batch of disks and get on with it. If current is this slick, 13.1 is going to be a very nice upgrade for those waiting for it.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should I? kernel 2.4 or 2.6? or wait for Slackware 11?? towsonu2003 Slackware 15 09-21-2005 11:36 PM
Slackware 9.1; 10 or wait for 10.1 fedivh Slackware 36 08-08-2004 12:21 AM
9.2 or better wait for 10? tijs Mandriva 4 02-07-2004 12:11 PM
Can't wait!!! nny0000 Programming 2 01-17-2004 04:18 AM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration