LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #91
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 2,247
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Thanks, this clarifies a lot. So shortly you never manged something in Linux larger than desktop? Perhaps home network. I am of course hobbyist/user of Slackware. Except of short period of using Devuan which ended with hard drive failure - I run only Slackware. For personal use but time to time I touched more complex things. But at the end all distros are hobbyists supported. RHEL will be helpless without Fedora users - imagine amount of money RHEL will have to pay to professional testers. So at the end it is to convince users that they run "safe, secure, stable system". Which in fact reduce to pay or to learn.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #92
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,373

Rep: Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Those services are disabled by default. If they aren't running, you can't be hit by vulnerabilities with them. Just stick with the default services...

What I don't understand is your love affair with everything Darth Vader. You continually bring up his posts years after he was banned... and the posts you bring up are usually about concepts that are generally anti-Slackware (like suggesting the installer offer partial installs here).

Slackware has always included a lot of software that many people won't use. Trying to change that is trying to change what Slackware is. Darth wasn't successful and you won't be either.
BUT, the Slackware installer offers partial installs. And it always had, even if you believe that's anti-Slackware.

True, last time I used it was several months ago, but it still offered the ability to select the categories of packages to be installed.

I will not argue with you how anti-Slackware is to have yet another category for the network servers. If you say so, probably it is anti-Slackware. Like I said already, probably Apache2 and several FTP servers is a must have for any honorable Slacker, even on a HTPC box.

However, regarding Darth Vader and his anti-Slackware ideas, I remember that the main ones was the adoption of: LinuxPAM/Kerberos and elogind - in fact even his last river-thread was about elogind.

As strange as it looks, those anti-Slackware software are now part of future Slackware 15, even he was banned long time ago.

Here we can argue if he was successfully to change the Slackware, or he was a visionary who seen what we will need in no more than several years.

But, no matter how you look at this story and history, his main "demands" are already fulfilled today, by the grace of Gods.

Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 05-09-2021 at 04:01 PM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #93
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,436

Rep: Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
But, no matter how you look at this story and history, his main "demands" are already fulfilled today, by the grace of Gods.
The things you mentioned were implemented but his 'main '[demand]'" was for Slackware 15 to come with KDE 4 instead of Plasma 5. I remember him asking for PAM. I like Darth Vader but his crusade against Plasma 5 was disruptive. Hopefully, he is enjoying the new editions to Current.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #94
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,263

Rep: Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
BUT, the Slackware installer offers partial installs. And it always had, even if you believe that's anti-Slackware.
The installer doesn't "offer" partial installs. You can choose to do a partial install using the installer, but there is nothing offered saying "here's an install without server components".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
I will not argue with you how anti-Slackware is to have yet another category for the network servers. If you say so, probably it is anti-Slackware. Like I said already, probably Apache2 and several FTP servers is a must have for any honorable Slacker, even on a HTPC box.
How dense can you be? The reason for including apache, mariadb, ftp servers, php, on an htpc box is because there's no dependency resolution. This is why a full install is recommended and always has been recommended. However, there's nothing stopping me from uninstalling those components on my htpc except for laziness (that's the Slacker in me). I have the space, and the services aren't running, so space is the only resource it's taking at any point after installation.

Pat has long said to not think the package sets mean anything, including dependencies, so spinning off a "network servers" section would probably be anti-Slackware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
However, regarding Darth Vader and his anti-Slackware ideas, I remember that the main ones was the adoption of: LinuxPAM/Kerberos and elogind - in fact even his last river-thread was about elogind.
Oh boy, another reference to Darth... seriously, do you idolize him?

Requesting to include software is not anti-Slackware. Personally, I don't even think requesting systemd would be anti-Slackware. In fact, in several PAM threads, I stated I'd be fine with PAM (not that my opinion on it mattered). However, when Darth proposed changing the installer to support groups (and being totally brain dead not realizing that Pat would need to document dependencies to do this, even after having it pointed out many times throughout that thread), he was told on the first page by Pat (post #4, actually) that it wasn't going to happen. Then it continued on for 24 pages with him still trying to push it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
But, no matter how you look at this story and history, his main "demands" are already fulfilled today, by the grace of Gods.
I don't think his package groups will ever become a part of Slackware. And looking through the threads created by him, there's still a lot that he's requested that haven't been added to Slackware.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #95
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,936
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Oh boy, another reference to Darth... seriously, do you idolize him?
Have you ever seen Darth Vader and LuckyCyborg in the same room?


Last edited by rkelsen; 05-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #96
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,373

Rep: Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Have you ever seen Darth Vader and LuckyCyborg in the same room?

But the truth is that never been happened to be in the same room with Darth Vader. I do not know him personally.

If you wonder why "Lucky Cyborg" , it's just my nickname on real life.

Because of a illness from childhood, I have a partial facial paralysis, which means that I have no facial expressions, like smiling or looking angry to something or someone. Apparently, that's quite strange for someone who does not known me yet.

Combine that with the fact that I have a massive build with 1,95 meters height, so I got the nickname of "The Cyborg"

Later, I've married a beautiful lady born on the Asian part of Russian Federation, who looks even today like a Japanese doll. So, my friends started naming me "The Lucky Cyborg" joking around the unlikely combination of a beautiful girl marrying an expressionless guy.

There is no connection with Anakin Skywalker's story. Sorry to disappoint you!

Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 05-09-2021 at 09:33 PM.
 
8 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #97
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,624

Rep: Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492Reputation: 3492
Hello Lucky Cyborg. If your wife looks anything remotely like Lysander666's Desktop Wallpaper you should just change to "Lucky AF"
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:25 AM   #98
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 2,247
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
For me it sounds now like LuckyCyborg is SPecNAz or GRU soldier with post-war injury - with operative nickname - 'geologist'.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #99
chrisretusn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,923

Rep: Reputation: 802Reputation: 802Reputation: 802Reputation: 802Reputation: 802Reputation: 802Reputation: 802
I am not loosing any sleep over this.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #100
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,373

Rep: Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
For me it sounds now like LuckyCyborg is SPecNAz or GRU soldier with post-war injury - with operative nickname - 'geologist'.
For me sounds like that you seen too many action movies with big bad Russian guys.

I've never served on GRU (Military Intelligence) or Spetsnaz (Special Forces) of Army, Air Force, Navy or Police.

Proof? They will never post there, just like the MI6 guys or SAS guys.

Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 05-10-2021 at 07:43 AM.
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #101
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 2,247
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
Proof? They will never post there, just like the MI6 guys or SAS guys.
You must be joking. Hey who's from intel hands up.
 
Old 05-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #102
SCerovec
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cp6uja
Distribution: Slackware on x86 and arm
Posts: 1,965
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 645Reputation: 645Reputation: 645Reputation: 645Reputation: 645Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
You must be joking. Hey who's from intel hands up.
amd guy here where do i put my arm?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #103
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,936
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144
Vulneratbility - Slackware can be compromised - all versions affected

3 weeks later, and no apparent action on this "vulnerability."

Can someone please tell us what it was about?
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #104
luvr
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Boom - The Home Town of Tomorrowland, Belgium
Distribution: Slackware, Xubuntu
Posts: 348
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 140Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by marav View Post
"I've found something, but I cannot share it with you"

It made me think about this
It made me think of Fermat's Last Theorem: I have this theorem, and I can prove it, too, but the proof is too long to provide in this limited space.
 
Old 05-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #105
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,553

Rep: Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270
The short version is this: it's a supply chain issue.
Our opinion is that one has already lost the game if the issues presented in this report are valid.

I'll leave it to the original poster to publish the entire writeup - it's not mine to post.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gpg stalls key management, seahorse enigmail all affected galen Linux - Security 1 08-17-2019 03:00 PM
Slackware NOT affected: Memory corruption bug in systemd, no patches yet sombragris Slackware 61 03-16-2019 10:09 PM
Problem with copying files (not only Slackware affected) 3.1415... Slackware 37 06-22-2016 04:41 AM
What is glibc bug and who can get affected with it? BryanWalters Linux - Security 3 03-01-2016 10:41 PM
gcc versions compatibility with kernel versions.. mahesh_manthapuri SUSE / openSUSE 1 03-22-2006 12:28 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration