LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #76
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,936
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144Reputation: 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by crts View Post
A properly configured firewall will mitigate the issue. Do not leave any unnecessary ports open.
Right, so is it an actual vulnerability, or is it a basic misunderstanding of the way the software works?

Can someone from the team chime in here please?
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #77
allend
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 5,631

Rep: Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199Reputation: 2199
I think they already have.

We now have a potential remote exploit that is mitigated by the typical home user modem/router that refuses all incoming connections by default or by the firewall that any competent sysadmin would put in place.

Contact has been made on this report, yet the only action in the ChangeLog in the subsequent three days is business as usual. If this was serious, I would have expected some report of compromised systems in the almost five years since the 14.2 release that so many find frustrating.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #78
marav
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 345

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
I think they already have.

We now have a potential remote exploit that is mitigated by the typical home user modem/router that refuses all incoming connections by default or by the firewall that any competent sysadmin would put in place.

Contact has been made on this report, yet the only action in the ChangeLog in the subsequent three days is business as usual. If this was serious, I would have expected some report of compromised systems in the almost five years since the 14.2 release that so many find frustrating.
disappointing
 
Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #79
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370

Rep: Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Right, so is it an actual vulnerability, or is it a basic misunderstanding of the way the software works?
Probably is something along with what Darth Vader said countless years ago: it's a very bad idea everybody to install tons of HTTP, FTP, GODKNOWSP servers by default, because of that Holly Full Install.

If I remember right, he evangelized for moving anything meaning network server on a separate category named "SRV" and which category to be unselected by default even on full install by installer.

But looks like any respectable Slacker can't live without having on his/hers/its HTPC at least INETD, Apache2 and two FTP servers...

Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 05-09-2021 at 11:18 AM.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #80
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370

Rep: Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
I think they already have.

We now have a potential remote exploit that is mitigated by the typical home user modem/router that refuses all incoming connections by default or by the firewall that any competent sysadmin would put in place.

Contact has been made on this report, yet the only action in the ChangeLog in the subsequent three days is business as usual. If this was serious, I would have expected some report of compromised systems in the almost five years since the 14.2 release that so many find frustrating.
I am not a competent sysadmin, in fact I am just an amateur playing with Slackware on his garage. I use it for nothing serious.

I should stop using Slackware because I am incompetent of using it?

Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 05-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #81
marav
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 345

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
I am just an amateur playing with Slackware on his garage.
That's exactly my definition of a competent sysadmin
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #82
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,553

Rep: Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270Reputation: 1270
This report would best be categorized as a "supply chain" issue and we are trying to figure out what (if any) actual impact it might have and what (if anything) we can (assuming we should) do about it.
 
9 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #83
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,489
Blog Entries: 16

Rep: Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252Reputation: 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
I am not a competent sysadmin, in fact I am just an amateur playing with Slackware on his garage. I use it for nothing serious.

I should stop using Slackware because I am incompetent of using it?
No, you're the
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
typical home user with a modem/router that refuses all incoming connections by default
.

Last edited by hazel; 05-09-2021 at 12:16 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #84
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370

Rep: Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137
Thank you, Mrs. Hazel!

Keen logic as usual...
 
Old 05-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #85
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 2,238
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
I am not a competent sysadmin, in fact I am just an amateur playing with Slackware on his garage. I use it for nothing serious.
Yet you feel to be very competent when giving advice. But I see this unfair: you are using Slackware for "nothing serious" yet still trying to have influence on its development. Maybe it is time to start to give advice - to Windows? RHEL - don't know what is your distro for your serious tasks. So I guess time to make decision - to be serious or not. Imagine your suggestion will be accepted - like passing to desktop release of firefox - but it does not influence you - cause no matter - your serious computer is somewhere. This looks poor - say accept suggestions of someone using Slackware for fun - in conclusion it looks like Slackware is for fun only. Say "have fun" (only). Now you are seriously pushing XWayland, pipewire - for fun (only)?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #86
drgibbon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 1,051

Rep: Reputation: 731Reputation: 731Reputation: 731Reputation: 731Reputation: 731Reputation: 731Reputation: 731
Hmm, this is all a bit too vague for me. I have some ports open on both my router and my local Slackware machine firewall (because I use them), so what exactly is the current recommendation, to close all open Internet-facing ports?

Last edited by drgibbon; 05-09-2021 at 12:34 PM.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #87
karlmag
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 108

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgibbon View Post
Hmm, this is all a bit too vague for me. I have some ports open on both my router and my local Slackware machine firewall (because I use them), so what exactly is the current recommendation, to close all open Internet-facing ports?

What I read from rworkman's last post here; Yet no need to worry too much.

Had it been something straight-up obvious and easily perpetrated I would presume it had been dealt with already.
Or at least some advice would have been shared.

FWIW, I don't worry about this... Just do the usual due-dilligence one always should.


Thanks
--
KarlMag
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #88
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 9,921

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
This report would best be categorized as a "supply chain" issue and we are trying to figure out what (if any) actual impact it might have and what (if anything) we can (assuming we should) do about it.
Having received the report I felt I had not enough knowledge to properly assess it, so I am glad you do that for all of us, thanks. I told the OP that whatever you and Patrick decide I'd follow suite.
 
Old 05-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #89
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,263

Rep: Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
Probably is something along with what Darth Vader said countless years ago: it's a very bad idea everybody to install tons of HTTP, FTP, GODKNOWSP servers by default, because of that Holly Full Install.

If I remember right, he evangelized for moving anything meaning network server on a separate category named "SRV" and which category to be unselected by default even on full install by installer.

But looks like any respectable Slacker can't live without having on his/hers/its HTPC at least INETD, Apache2 and two FTP servers...
Those services are disabled by default. If they aren't running, you can't be hit by vulnerabilities with them. Just stick with the default services...

What I don't understand is your love affair with everything Darth Vader. You continually bring up his posts years after he was banned... and the posts you bring up are usually about concepts that are generally anti-Slackware (like suggesting the installer offer partial installs here).

Slackware has always included a lot of software that many people won't use. Trying to change that is trying to change what Slackware is. Darth wasn't successful and you won't be either.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #90
LuckyCyborg
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,370

Rep: Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
Yet you feel to be very competent when giving advice. But I see this unfair: you are using Slackware for "nothing serious" yet still trying to have influence on its development. Maybe it is time to start to give advice - to Windows? RHEL - don't know what is your distro for your serious tasks. So I guess time to make decision - to be serious or not. Imagine your suggestion will be accepted - like passing to desktop release of firefox - but it does not influence you - cause no matter - your serious computer is somewhere. This looks poor - say accept suggestions of someone using Slackware for fun - in conclusion it looks like Slackware is for fun only. Say "have fun" (only). Now you are seriously pushing XWayland, pipewire - for fun (only)?
First of all, neither Wayland, XWayland or even PipeWire was adopted by Slackware because I advocated them. If you look for someone who requested them to be added on Slackware, probably he's Mr. Hameleers.

What I advocated is exclusively based on my own experiments, where I observed that a different branch of XWayland works better, and that PipeWire does many jobs on Wayland/Plasma5, hence I tried to find the best way to run its daemons.

In other hand, I have no financial interests on making Slackware to have a better Wayland, XWayland, Wayland/Plasma5 or a better sound system based on PipeWire. So, you can say that everything I did, and I will do, is just a hobby.

Some people tunes cars as hobby, and just like them, mine hobby is just to make the Wayland support better on Slackware, which is one of the operating systems which I use. I use currently several other.

BUT, I earn my moneys from something entirely different of software: I am geologist - again, I ensure you that I will earn ZERO money if Slackware will have a better Wayland.

If you are curious about my "serious computer", it's a laptop given by the Company where I work, it runs Windows 10 and tons of Windows software which has no equivalent on open-source. It's not mine, and for any issue with it, a "competent sysadmin" of our Company should do his/her job.

Nope, even for my "serious computer" I am not a "competent sysadmin" - there's someone payed to do this job.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gpg stalls key management, seahorse enigmail all affected galen Linux - Security 1 08-17-2019 03:00 PM
Slackware NOT affected: Memory corruption bug in systemd, no patches yet sombragris Slackware 61 03-16-2019 10:09 PM
Problem with copying files (not only Slackware affected) 3.1415... Slackware 37 06-22-2016 04:41 AM
What is glibc bug and who can get affected with it? BryanWalters Linux - Security 3 03-01-2016 10:41 PM
gcc versions compatibility with kernel versions.. mahesh_manthapuri SUSE / openSUSE 1 03-22-2006 12:28 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration