LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #481
mats_b_tegner
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 929

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626

Second minor update for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 3.8 (2259.42):
https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/min...p-browser-3-8/
Quote:
The following improvements were made since the first 3.8 stable, minor update:
[Windows] Upgrades failing for some users (VB-79571)
[Chromium] Upgraded to 90.0.4430.214
 
Old 05-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #482
enine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Slackʍɐɹǝ
Posts: 1,369
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
Is there no build from source option, one has to just use a .deb converted? I have seen rumors that Vivaldi is not open source?
 
Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #483
mats_b_tegner
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 929

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by enine View Post
Is there no build from source option, one has to just use a .deb converted? I have seen rumors that Vivaldi is not open source?
Vivaldi is only partly open source as explained here:
https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-browser-open-source/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #484
j12i
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Distribution: Slackware64 current (15 beta)
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroX View Post
No matter which settings I choose, it keeps asking me where to download files. And this happens both in Linux and Windows 10 (for work...).
BroX do you still experience this? Do you use KDE? I have a similar problem on an Ubuntu derivate with XFCE Desktop.
 
Old 05-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #485
BroX
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware64-current, SlackwareARM-current
Posts: 809

Rep: Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12i View Post
BroX do you still experience this? Do you use KDE? I have a similar problem on an Ubuntu derivate with XFCE Desktop.
Yes, the option "Save files to default location without asking" still has no effect here. I am always presented with the last-used location. This is on Slackware-current with i3 window manager.
 
Old 06-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #486
kgha
Member
 
Registered: May 2018
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE
Posts: 443

Rep: Reputation: 329Reputation: 329Reputation: 329Reputation: 329
Vivaldi 4 released. Mail, calendar and rss feed added.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #487
GazL
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 5,923

Rep: Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899Reputation: 3899
How does the mail feature compare to old Opera M2?

One lesson the Opera abandonment taught me however is to not invest my workflow heavily in some proprietary solution that may be here today, gone tomorrow, so I'm wary of Vivaldi, but I do miss Opera12/m2.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #488
Skaendo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,367

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgha View Post
Vivaldi 4 released. Mail, calendar and rss feed added.
Great. Now how can I get rid of them. These things would be better served as addons or extensions. Right along with that game that they baked in. And language packs should be ripped out as well.

Last edited by Skaendo; 06-09-2021 at 08:59 AM.
 
Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #489
cwizardone
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib."
Posts: 6,597
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991Reputation: 3991
When you start Vivaldi-4 for the first time it gives you three options as to what you want to be included.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #490
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,911

Rep: Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
How does the mail feature compare to old Opera M2?

One lesson the Opera abandonment taught me however is to not invest my workflow heavily in some proprietary solution that may be here today, gone tomorrow, so I'm wary of Vivaldi, but I do miss Opera12/m2.
Been playing around with it (Mail) for the first time ; in other words, I didn't sign up to the beta program, until today, so first time seeing it, and not sure how far and how fast it has come on. Mail and calendars just a little rough around the edges, but promising, and mail is certainly reminiscent of Opera 12's mail client. Once it stabilises a bit more I will use it for sure, at least for my non-Fastmail accounts.

It shouldn't be too much of an investment of course if you access your mail by IMAP.

I used to swear by Opera 12 Mail, but these days I find Fastmail's webmail very close to the best desktop clients, especially with its single-key shortcuts. Only problem is that Fastmail have their servers in NY, so at least for those of us in the EU -- with one eye on our data, where it is stored and by whom it can be accessed -- it's less than optimal.

Last edited by Gerard Lally; 06-09-2021 at 10:03 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #491
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 2,164

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
Great. Now how can I get rid of them. These things would be better served as addons or extensions. Right along with that game that they baked in. And language packs should be ripped out as well.
There are three versions of the browser you can choose when you configure it: Essential, Classic and Fully-loaded. Only the latter has the mail and RSS etc.

That said, I do really like the Firefox 89 overhaul. As in, really like it. It's enough to make me consider moving. I'm testing it for a bit longer before I do.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #492
Skaendo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,367

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
There are three versions of the browser you can choose when you configure it: Essential, Classic and Fully-loaded. Only the latter has the mail and RSS etc.
This doesn't make it any "lighter". It seems to be going the way of Firefox, with added "features" (aka bloat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
That said, I do really like the Firefox 89 overhaul. As in, really like it. It's enough to make me consider moving. I'm testing it for a bit longer before I do.
I'm not a fan of Firefox so I haven't even looked at it lately. Looks like I'll be going back to Basilisk which is half the size and starts up twice as fast as both Firefox and now Vivaldi.

I did just check out Vivaldi 4, and I was not impressed. Quite disappointed actually.
 
Old 06-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #493
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,911

Rep: Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
Looks like I'll be going back to Basilisk which is half the size and starts up twice as fast as both Firefox and now Vivaldi.
Nice. Never heard of it. Bookmarked.

Quote:
I did just check out Vivaldi 4, and I was not impressed. Quite disappointed actually.
Vivaldi is a great browser, and the team are respectful of users. Startup speed here, with hundreds of tabs open, is perfectly normal -- a few seconds, and I open the browser only once a day.

Among the pluses for me with Vivaldi is its configurability, and its great keyboard shortcuts, including single-key shortcuts. Most importantly, the browser allows you to select vertical panels and vertical tab bars. It is staggering and incomprehensible to me that Firefox and Chrome still don't allow this, given that nearly all displays these days are widescreen. I was at my brother's computer yesterday and he had what must have been 50-100 browser tabs open in Chrome, all along the top, with neither tab title nor icon readable. At least with vertical panels on one side and vertical tabs on the other you can squeeze the actual browser content into a narrower space that makes reading on the web much easier. And you can immediately see your tab titles.

Another plus is Vivaldi's single-key shortcuts, which are slowly catching up with Opera 12's. In the early 2000s I showed a wheelchair-bound woman with severely impaired mobility how to browse the web on her laptop using Opera's single-key shortcuts, and she was absolutely thrilled to bits. She found the touchpad very difficult to use. It changed her life.

So the Vivaldi team are showing respect to ALL users, not just the able-bodied and the younger, mobile generation, who are probably the generation developing Chrome and Firefox, with a typically cavalier attitude to anybody who doesn't fall into their demographic.

(They're not alone, of course : Plasma, Gnome/Gtk and Android, among others, are anything but accessible to users with impaired mobility and/or sight, despite the claims and half-hearted efforts of their respective teams. Hint, if anyone is listening : accessibility is more than just making text bigger.)

For that reason alone I will be sticking with Vivaldi. It's called respect.

Last edited by Gerard Lally; 06-09-2021 at 06:31 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #494
Skaendo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,367

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Vivaldi is a great browser, and the team are respectful of users. Startup speed here, with hundreds of tabs open, is perfectly normal -- a few seconds, and I open the browser only once a day.

Among the pluses for me with Vivaldi is its configurability, and its great keyboard shortcuts, including single-key shortcuts. Most importantly, the browser allows you to select vertical panels and vertical tab bars. It is staggering and incomprehensible to me that Firefox and Chrome still don't allow this, given that nearly all displays these days are widescreen. I was at my brother's computer yesterday and he had what must have been 50-100 browser tabs open in Chrome, all along the top, with neither tab title nor icon readable. At least with vertical panels on one side and vertical tabs on the other you can squeeze the actual browser content into a narrower space that makes reading on the web much easier. And you can immediately see your tab titles.

Another plus is Vivaldi's single-key shortcuts, which are slowly catching up with Opera 12's. In the early 2000s I showed a wheelchair-bound woman with severely impaired mobility how to browse the web on her laptop using Opera's single-key shortcuts, and she was absolutely thrilled to bits. She found the touchpad very difficult to use. It changed her life.

So the Vivaldi team are showing respect to ALL users, not just the able-bodied and the younger, mobile generation, who are probably the generation developing Chrome and Firefox, with a typically cavalier attitude to anybody who doesn't fall into their demographic.

(They're not alone, of course : Plasma, Gnome/Gtk and Android, among others, are anything but accessible to users with impaired mobility and/or sight, despite the claims and half-hearted efforts of their respective teams. Hint, if anyone is listening : accessibility is more than just making text bigger.)

For that reason alone I will be sticking with Vivaldi. It's called respect.
Heh, your signature says a lot about how I feel about Vivaldi right now. And Vivaldi is a very nice browser, but "showing respect to ALL users" doesn't mean that I need all the extra "features". I would just once like to see someone do something that doesn't force all the "features" on ALL their users. Maybe a plugin system would be a better route for browser devs to take instead of including everything in the default.
 
Old 06-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #495
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,911

Rep: Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
Heh, your signature says a lot about how I feel about Vivaldi right now. And Vivaldi is a very nice browser, but "showing respect to ALL users" doesn't mean that I need all the extra "features". I would just once like to see someone do something that doesn't force all the "features" on ALL their users. Maybe a plugin system would be a better route for browser devs to take instead of including everything in the default.
I've just never experienced Vivaldi as a bloated browser, and I'm a tab junkie, with sometimes hundreds open. It's really responsive for me.

I'd prefer that they had their own engine, and that the browser interface was less "electron"-like, but the browser is really a breath of fresh air in a browser world that was very quickly becoming sterile and monopolistic.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Vivaldi Continues To Build Amazing Features With Vivaldi 1.11 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-12-2017 06:09 PM
LXer: Vivaldi Technologies Vivaldi Web Browser LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-28-2016 07:26 PM
LXer: KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-23-2013 02:21 AM
LXer: Vivaldi Tablet Finally (Almost) Finalized LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-30-2013 07:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration