LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Vivaldi seems to have finally won me over (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/vivaldi-seems-to-have-finally-won-me-over-4175643177/)

cwizardone 02-13-2019 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by montagdude (Post 5961621)
Is there any way to get Vivaldi to simply use the system theme? I generally like how it looks, but on the other hand it does kind of ruin the uniformity of everything else.

Yes, the default is rather garish. Click on the "Vivaldi Button" then, Tools, Settings, Appearance, "Use native Window."
Or you can go borderless and that gives you more "space."
For example,

montagdude 02-13-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5961646)
Yes, the default is rather garish. Click on the "Vivaldi Button" then, Tools, Settings, Appearance, "Use native Window."
Or you can go borderless and that gives you more "space."
For example,

The native window setting only gives you the window borders from your WM, it doesn't change the theme of the window itself. For a browser whose bread and butter is configurability, it's a shame it can't integrate with the rest of the desktop.

cwizardone 02-13-2019 04:21 PM

It can be done, I've done it, but don't remember the exact steps. Their nomenclature is a bit difference from other browsers.
Under "settngs" one will find, "appearance," "themes" and "start page." All three play a part in changing Vivaldi's "look and feel."
:)

montagdude 02-13-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5961657)
Under "settngs" one will find, "appearance," "themes" and "start page." All three play a part in changing the browser's "look and feel."
:)

Sure, but I don't see anything in any of those menus to do what I want. Anyway, hopefully ruario will chime in to confirm whether it's possible or not.

cwizardone 02-17-2019 11:39 AM

vivaldi-2.3.1440.48

is now available via SBo.

Gerard Lally 02-17-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5961646)
Yes, the default is rather garish. Click on the "Vivaldi Button" then, Tools, Settings, Appearance, "Use native Window."
Or you can go borderless and that gives you more "space."
For example,

Nice background!

Lysander666 02-17-2019 12:36 PM

Google have backtracked on its stance to disable adblockers. Vivaldi is safe!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google...d-ad-blockers/

Also I should mention that I have put Vivaldi on my converted Chromebook which runs Ubuntu, and the difference between Firefox and Vivaldi is amazing. FF is slow and clunky on this machine and Vivaldi is fast, streamlined and conservative. In my opinion it really is the best browser around at the moment. Firefox really has gone to the dogs of late.

cwizardone 02-17-2019 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard Lally (Post 5963254)
Nice background!

Unfortunately, i don't know the name of the artist, but i do know the area and captured a photo via the Internet..... OK, IIRC, the artist went or goes by the name of, Vjcobra.

Hmmmm.... not where it is suppose to be.... I'll post it as soon as I find it.
It is a photo of the same area the artist used in the painting, showing what it really looks like, which is not bad. :) That building on the right is a Norwegian or Swedish church. I was once in there almost 50 years ago for some social function... can't remember what... :) The camera used must have had an extreme wide angle lenses as things are much closer together than they look in the photograph.

OK, found it. The wide yellow lines on the street were added by the software and are not really there.

bassmadrigal 02-17-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard Lally (Post 5963254)
Nice background!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5963261)
Unfortunately, i don't know the name of the artist, but i do know the area and captured a photo via the Internet..... OK, IIRC, the artist went or goes by the name of, Vjcobra.

Hmmmm.... not where it is suppose to be.... I'll post it as soon as I find it.
It is a photo of the same area the artist used in the painting, showing what it really looks like, which is not bad. :) That building on the right is a Norwegian or Swedish church. I was once in there almost 50 years ago for some social function... can't remember what... :) The camera used must have had an extreme wide angle lenses as things are much closer together than they look in the photograph.

OK, found it. The wide yellow lines on the street were added by the software and are not really there.

I couldn't find info on the artist, but I did find a high quality version of the image.

https://wallpaperplay.com/walls/full/b/2/e/48922.jpg

cwizardone 02-17-2019 06:00 PM

Yes, that is the same image that came as part of a .zip package I downloaded 3 or 4 years ago.

I just found this,

https://www.flickr.com/people/96182241@N06/

I don't know if he is the original artist or not.

montagdude 02-22-2019 07:13 PM

I ended up switching back to Chromium because it integrates with my GTK+ theme. I'm still using Vivaldi at work because I don't really care about that there. ;)

Lysander666 02-22-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montagdude (Post 5965707)
I ended up switching back to Chromium because it integrates with my GTK+ theme. I'm still using Vivaldi at work because I don't really care about that there. ;)

Care to expand on that a bit more [i.e. how it integrates with your theme]? Vivaldi is the most customisable browser I have come across - it's almost too customisable.

montagdude 02-22-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5965708)
Care to expand on that a bit more [i.e. how it integrates with your theme]? Vivaldi is the most customisable browser I have come across - it's almost too customisable.

There were some posts discussing it on the last page and the beginning of this one. Vivaldi has a bunch of themes built-in, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to get it to simply use the GTK+ theme that all my other applications are using (even Qt apps, if the appropriate tools are installed). If you know of a way, I would like to hear it.

slalik 02-26-2019 10:18 AM

I noticed that my vivaldi shows h264 videos even without vivaldi-codecs-ffmpeg-extra. I don't understand how this can happen. Maybe vivaldi's libffmpeg uses hardware decoding?

Update:
I found the reason: vivaldi keeps the cache of libffmpeg.so:
Code:

~/.local/lib/vivaldi/libffmpeg.so.92393
('92393' is the FFmpeg version).

Lysander666 02-26-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slalik (Post 5967142)
I noticed that my vivaldi shows h264 videos even without vivaldi-codecs-ffmpeg-extra. I don't understand how this can happen. Maybe vivaldi's libffmpeg uses hardware decoding?

The latest scripts fetch and install Widevine. Maybe it's something to do with that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.