LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Vivaldi seems to have finally won me over (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/vivaldi-seems-to-have-finally-won-me-over-4175643177/)

Lysander666 11-27-2018 07:26 AM

Vivaldi seems to have finally won me over
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have spoken here before about my love of Opera and how I used it from 2004-2017 before leaving it for Chromium. Now, I know they are not the same thing, but there are similarities in the staff base between Opera and Vivaldi, as far as I'm aware.

I always felt that Vivaldi as a browser was great but not 'quite there'. However, this latest version, 2.1.1337.51, seems to have tipped things over the line. The main thing is not only the functionality, which is great, but the appearance. Vivaldi gives the user so many options and so much control, but the new 'Window Background Image' option is a masterstroke - well done to whoever thought of that. The browser now looks beautiful.

I think this comes at a good time since I didn't like what had happened to Chromium after version 69: I was still using 68 and refusing to update. This now gives me a reason to move over and, to an extent, back.

So thank you ruario, and thanks to the Vivaldi team. You're doing a sterling job.

JWJones 11-27-2018 08:38 AM

Thanks for your assessment, I'll have to give it another shot.

mlangdn 11-27-2018 10:12 AM

So far, so good. I have to enlarge the font next.

Set to minimum of 16. My older eyes can see this easier. Or, I need to buy a bigger monitor.... :)

Gerard Lally 11-27-2018 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5930570)
I have spoken here before about my love of Opera and how I used it from 2004-2017 before leaving it for Chromium. Now, I know they are not the same thing, but there are similarities in the staff base between Opera and Vivaldi, as far as I'm aware.

I always felt that Vivaldi as a browser was great but not 'quite there'. However, this latest version, 2.1.1337.51, seems to have tipped things over the line. The main thing is not only the functionality, which is great, but the appearance. Vivaldi gives the user so many options and so much control, but the new 'Window Background Image' option is a masterstroke - well done to whoever thought of that. The browser now looks beautiful.

I think this comes at a good time since I didn't like what had happened to Chromium after version 69: I was still using 68 and refusing to update. This now gives me a reason to move over and, to an extent, back.

So thank you ruario, and thanks to the Vivaldi team. You're doing a sterling job.

I'm delighted with it. Panel on the left, tabs on the right. Maximum vertical screen estate, and the only layout that makes sense on a widescreen, 1920x1200 monitor. When will LibreOffice, Gnome, Firefox, Chrome and friends catch up? Accessibility shortcuts second to none, and many other features unique to the old Opera slowly making their way back.

vonbiber 11-28-2018 01:01 AM

vivaldi has become my main web browser now (version used: 2.1.1337.36_1).
However, there are still some issues such as quite often not being able
to play some videos (youtube, etc.).
In those cases I use ungoogled-chromium, which never fail.

ruario 11-28-2018 02:12 AM

Thanks Lysander666 and Gerard. I passed on your messages to the team!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonbiber (Post 5930942)
However, there are still some issues such as quite often not being able to play some videos

Those videos almost certainly are MP4 files using H.264 and AAC. Try this page and see which videos play. Not being able to bundle support for H.264/AAC is not a technical issue, it is purely a patent/licensing issue.

That said, you can fix this for yourself:

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/htm...edia-on-linux/

P.S. The URL to this help page is printed on terminal if you start Vivaldi (stable) without proprietary media support, or in snapshot versions the command to fetch a suitable file is given directly.

ruario 11-28-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonbiber (Post 5930942)
In those cases I use ungoogled-chromium, which never fail.

The binaries you use are most likely built with proprietary media support built in, which may or may not be legally sound depending on where they are distributed from and/or if the person or organisation distributing them is covered by the relevant patent laws surrounding H.264 and AAC. If they are covered by these laws, you probably want confirmation that they paid for the correct (and in the case of AAC in particularly, very expensive) licenses. But IANAL and I am not really familiar with ungoogled-chromium, so you would need to do your own investigation to be sure.

On a different note I had a look at their download site. If you are using one of their hosted binaries, pay attention to this warning:

Quote:

These binaries are provided by anyone who are willing to build and submit them [...] authenticity cannot be guaranteed. [emphasis mine]
IMHO that is quite scary because you have no idea if they have been altered. In the case of using binaries from a company like Slackware, Vivaldi or even individuals like AlienBOB it works because over time these organisations and people have built up a level of trust in their respective communities but taking a binary that could have been built by "anyone" sounds very high risk to me. Make sure you know who the person is and furthermore make sure you feel confident that you trust them.

elcore 11-28-2018 05:44 AM

Tried it recently, liked it because it can load dependencies from /opt/vivaldi/lib/ (for example I can put libgtk-3.so.0 there without having to install it system-wide)
Interface is ok, probably better than chrome IMO. I'd use it full-time if only it could support userchrome.css and usercontent.css (which chromium can't do).

ruario 11-28-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcore (Post 5931016)
Interface is ok, probably better than chrome IMO. I'd use it full-time if only it could support userchrome.css and usercontent.css (which chromium can't do).

Well it is not really supported (for now) but plenty of users do customise the UI

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/1062...customisations

elcore 11-28-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruario (Post 5931022)
Well it is not really supported (for now) but plenty of users do customise the UI

Yes I know about UI skins, but usercontent.css is something else. It's about painting websites, not UI. Skinning web content.
Sad story really, because chromium use to support it long time ago, and then chrome devs disabled it for "security" of users who were apparently "infected" by simple css file.
So yeah, if I want to paint a website according to my spec, I get "protected'" from my own css file now, and can't do it anymore in chromium engine.
Palemoon can load content stylesheets, I think new firefox can too but I haven't checked for a long time.

cwizardone 11-28-2018 10:19 AM

Perhaps, someone can ease my paranoia and explain how Vivaldi remembers what links I've visited on a page AFTER I've DELETED everything (the history, cookies, cleared the cache, etc.) but the save passwords ?

Lysander666 11-28-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5931138)
Perhaps, someone can ease my paranoia and explain how Vivaldi remembers what links I've visited on a page AFTER I've DELETED everything (the history, cookies, cleared the cache, etc.) but the save passwords ?

Looks like ruario attempted to answer this, but cwizard, you pointed out that his answer did not cover all your use cases.

Maybe someone [and/or ruario] could look into it and elaborate on this issue a little more.

cwizardone 11-28-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5931141)
Looks like ruario attempted to answer this, but cwizard, you pointed out that his answer did not cover all your use cases.

Maybe someone [and/or ruario] could look into it and elaborate on this issue a little more.

I guess I wasn't clear when I wrote the post to which he replied, but when I clear cache, cookies, etc., I also always clear the history. Just part of the "whole" process. So, when I wrote that, clearing the history had already been done. I always clear everything, but the saved passwords. I pointed the out in my reply three posts later.
I notice in Vivaldi there is NOT an option for clearing "site preferences." Would that have something to do with it?
If it is remembering links the user has clicked on, it is storing browsing history somewhere and not deleting it when instructed to do so.

Lysander666 11-28-2018 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be good if the browser gave the option to have different styles/colours of icon for the panel [there is already this option for the menu bar: you have the 'burger', the red Vivaldi icon or a mono one]. However, you can only have a red one for the panel.

For now, if you want a different style/colour icon for the panel, you have to create one manually. The normal icon is in /opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi/resources and is called icon_16.png, so you'd have to replace that and give your new icon the same name.

ruario 11-29-2018 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5931155)
I guess I wasn't clear when I wrote the post to which he replied, but when I clear cache, cookies, etc., I also always clear the history. Just part of the "whole" process. So, when I wrote that, clearing the history had already been done. I always clear everything, but the saved passwords. I pointed the out in my reply three posts later.
I notice in Vivaldi there is NOT an option for clearing "site preferences." Would that have something to do with it?
If it is remembering links the user has clicked on, it is storing browsing history somewhere and not deleting it when instructed to do so.

I simply cannot reproduce that at all, neither can my colleagues. You are selecting “For all time”, right? Also on what site(s) are you doing this? And have you compared with Chromium?

This is how I am clearing data (see attached image)

cwizardone 11-29-2018 11:23 AM

What is exactly how I have it set up.
The problem is most noticeable on distrowatch.com due to the numerous links on that page, but I see it on other sites, Amazon.com comes to mind.

Hooks123 11-29-2018 05:14 PM

Where can i get the newest version? sbopkg has the 2.0.1309.37 which i installed and like very much.

Lysander666 11-29-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooks123 (Post 5931650)
Where can i get the newest version? sbopkg has the 2.0.1309.37 which i installed and like very much.

Voilà.

Hooks123 11-29-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5931652)

Thanks a bunch.

PROBLEMCHYLD 11-29-2018 07:49 PM

Does it phone home and all that data collecting crap?!!!

Lysander666 11-30-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD (Post 5931679)
Does it phone home and all that data collecting crap?!!!

There are various responses to this, but the short answer is - no, it does not collect data. It does contact Google, but only to:

a] update certain certificates
b] update Widevine
c] update the safe browsing blacklist [this can be turned off].

This question has been asked a number of times, as you can imagine.

From one of the devs:

Quote:

No, we do not share any data with Google knowingly (except for search and search suggestions). We use the Chromium code base and there are some "call home" for various things there, but we believe we have plugged all those holes. If we missed something, it would be a bug.
Slightly longer answer from the Vivaldi team:

Quote:

There is no "spyware" involved here.

The two main reasons for Vivaldi to access Google servers automatically are:

Downloading and updating necessary components, the two major ones are the Certificate component and the Widevine video decoder. The certificate component performs extra checks on certificates, including revocation. The list of components is available on this internal page vivaldi://components

Downloading and updating the Safe Browsing blacklist. This is a so-called Bloom filter. This system works by calculating a very big number (hash) for the URL and parts of it. Then a few digits (32 bits) of these numbers are used to check in the local filter database. If the entry corresponding to the smaller number indicates that the URL may be blacklisted, Vivaldi uses more digits from the candidate number to request more information from the online Safe Browsing database, if still a possible blacklist, more data, using more digits of the number, are requested, until the server sends a list of URLs that are blacklisted. If one of the URLs is a match, then the page is block. At no time does Vivaldi send the URL to the server. The use of calculated hashes means that two almost identical URLs have wildly different hashes, but two wildly different URLs can have the same calculated hash (especially if one is using just a few digits). It is also almost impossible to reverse the calculation to get the original URL. These two points mean that it is not really possible for Google (or anyone) seeing the hash to tell which URL the user visited (in the case of the URL list, one might reasonably assume it was one of those, but it is still not a sure thing).

In neither case does Vivaldi send any cookies to the servers; only the IP address is, as always, known to the servers.

With respect to the connections to mtalk.google.com, this server is Google's Push Notifications server aka (Google Cloud Messaging, GCM). One of its uses is updates for a user's Sync data, which we are have disabled, since our Sync system uses a different system for such notification. Another use of this service is "Push Notifications" aka "Notification" from web sites. Whenever the user accepts Notifications from a website, persistent actions for receiving and handling these notifications are registered in Vivaldi, and among these actions is the establishment of a persistent connection to the GCM server, to listen for the notifications, and these connections are re-established immediately when Vivaldi starts. IOW, the connections to mtalk.google.com were initiated and configured by the user. Relevant URLs for this is chrome://settings/content/notifications , chrome://settings/siteData and vivaldi://gcm-internals
Even longer answer:

Read the privacy policy. Here's an excerpt:


Quote:

When you install Vivaldi browser (“Vivaldi”), each installation profile is assigned a unique user ID that is stored on your computer. Vivaldi will send a message using HTTPS directly to our servers located in Iceland every 24 hours containing this ID, version, cpu architecture, screen resolution and time since last message. We anonymize the IP address of Vivaldi users by removing the last octet of the IP address from your Vivaldi client then we store the resolved approximate location after using a local geoip lookup. The purpose of this collection is to determine the total number of active users and their geographical distribution.

...

Your browsing history such as visited URLs, typed search keywords and downloaded content are stored in your client profile and only accessible by your own action. Vivaldi AS has no access to this data. Your history cannot be shared unless it is by your own action.

When you turn on Search suggestions in your Settings (Settings > Search), Vivaldi will send a request to the chosen search engine with the typed keyword in order to display search results. Privacy policies for individual supported search engines can be found here.

Vivaldi integrates the Safe browsing API from Google, which checks the site you are visiting against a master list of known suspected phishing and malware sites. This feature can be turned off in the Privacy settings (Settings > Privacy > Privacy).

Many websites use cookies to identify repeat visitors and store information about their site visitors. Vivaldi stores cookies based on the user’s privacy settings (Setting > Privacy > Cookies) but how the cookie is used is determined by the website you are visiting and types of cookies. Therefore it is important that you understand the privacy policy of the websites you are visiting. You can view, manage and remove all stored cookies in your privacy settings.
This is the only way I'm getting to Iceland any time soon, unfortunately.

elcore 11-30-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD (Post 5931679)
Does it phone home...

ACL/Whitelist (more effective than safebrowsing nanny list)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD (Post 5931679)
... and all that data collecting crap?!!!

It's maintaining a standard sqlite database (could just mount RAM where it expects a profile, and clear on reboot)

ruario 11-30-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 5931576)
What is exactly how I have it set up.
The problem is most noticeable on distrowatch.com due to the numerous links on that page, but I see it on other sites, Amazon.com comes to mind.

Here is a video from a clean install in a VM, with distrowatch. It works fine for me.

Do you have any extensions installed or something else that might be messing this up for you?

ruario 11-30-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5931784)
[…]the short answer is - no, it does not collect data. It does contact Google, but only to:


b] update Widevine

I just want to clarify this. On Linux in the current stable version we do not fetch Widevine automatically using the Chromium components update mechanism. This is something that only happens on Windows and Mac. However as of the recent Linux snapshots we have started auto-fetching Widevine, but it still isn't using the Chromium components update mechanism. Instead it is done in a shell script (that I wrote), which is called by the post install scripts of the deb and rpm. It is only called on installation or upgrade (or uninstall to clear the file). The Vivaldi repack script I make (and the SlackBuild on SBo) are not currently running this script or doing any equivalent, so nobody here gets automatic Widevine.

P.S. If you want to see what the widevine update steps involve, download the latest vivaldi snapshot build (.deb or .rpm) unpack it and take a look at “/opt/vivaldi-snapshot/update-widevine”.

EDIT: Short summary, “https://dl.google.com/widevine-cdm/$WIDEVINE_VERSION-linux-$WIDEVINE_ARCH.zip” is fetched ( “$WIDEVINE_VERSION” and “$WIDEVINE_ARCH” are hardcoded in the script itself) and unpacked locally. A sha256sum (also hardcoded in the script) is then used to confirm that the lib inside is the exact version we expect and if so, it is moved into a location where we can find it (“/var/opt/vivaldi-snapshot”). The pre-uninstall scripts of the .deb and .rpm packages will remove this file (if present) just before the package manger removes all the files that were installed normally (thus leaving the system clean on uninstall).

ruario 11-30-2018 08:12 AM

I should also add that if you do run the snapshot version of Vivaldi, you could actually call the bundled update script yourself to fetch and install Widevine for you:

Code:

su -c '/opt/vivaldi-snapshot/update-widevine --system'
Or to remove it

Code:

su -c '/opt/vivaldi-snapshot/update-widevine --system --undo'
P.S. Root access is only needed because it places the lib in “/var/opt/vivaldi-snapshot”.

ruario 11-30-2018 08:20 AM

As a side note, here is a story on how I announced the automatic widevine fetching and how I did not test it properly! :p

slalik 11-30-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcore (Post 5931016)
I'd use it full-time if only it could support userchrome.css and usercontent.css (which chromium can't do).

The SBo script allows to customize the user interface using the
/opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi/style/custom.css file if built with CUSTOM_CSS=yes.
For web pages I use the Stylus extension.

elcore 11-30-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slalik (Post 5931862)
/opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi/style/custom.css

Thanks, I will look into that custom.css seems equivalent of userchrome.css

Quote:

Originally Posted by slalik (Post 5931862)
For web pages I use the Stylus

This extension is too heavy, I see on github what it is, a fork of extension (stylish) that was already fat years ago.
I don't think it's gotten any smaller. What I'd prefer is just few lines of css, not a huge package manager thing with hundreds of features.

slalik 11-30-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcore (Post 5931889)
This extension is too heavy, I see on github what it is, a fork of extension (stylish) that was already fat years ago.
I don't think it's gotten any smaller. What I'd prefer is just few lines of css, not a huge package manager thing with hundreds of features.

There are other extensions, for example User JavaScript and CSS.

enorbet 11-30-2018 01:03 PM

Thank you Lysander666 for an interesting thread. It seems quite a few people have at least some concerns with where a number of mainstream browsers are going and Vivaldi may qualify as a great substitute. However before I install yet another web browser I'd like to ask you why you left Opera for Chromium and when? What was the last version of Opera you used? I'm asking this because I recently installed Opera 57.1 and was pretty much "knocked out" with it's balance of Features and Simple Quality, especially in handling multimedia. Basically I'd like to hear a comparison of current Opera and current Vivaldi. I may just go ahead and do that myself but it would be nice to hear from someone with more background experience with Opera.

elcore 11-30-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slalik (Post 5931935)
There are other extensions

You're right, there's a list of these things, which explains a lot.
Liked this one for example (it's MIT)
I'll look into that, and a few others, but I'd still prefer browser feature rather than extension.

Lysander666 11-30-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enorbet (Post 5931938)
Thank you Lysander666 for an interesting thread. It seems quite a few people have at least some concerns with where a number of mainstream browsers are going and Vivaldi may qualify as a great substitute. However before I install yet another web browser I'd like to ask you why you left Opera for Chromium and when? What was the last version of Opera you used? I'm asking this because I recently installed Opera 57.1 and was pretty much "knocked out" with it's balance of Features and Simple Quality, especially in handling multimedia. Basically I'd like to hear a comparison of current Opera and current Vivaldi. I may just go ahead and do that myself but it would be nice to hear from someone with more background experience with Opera.

Really in order to go into why I personally moved on one has to go back a bit. I can't remember what the first version of Opera I used was, but it would have been something like 7.4 or 7.5, around mid 2004. As you can imagine it was a very different browser then and used a different engine. ruario would surely be a better Opera-historian than I, but I think it was around version 13 that a lot of big changes happened: Opera changed engine and started following Google, which led to an exodus of developers. This is partly why Vivaldi was created - to be like Opera was around version 12. Another reason why it was so special was that Opera was a hotbed of innovation back in the day [or an "innovation factory" as one friend put it]: they came up with some great ideas which other browsers adopted - the most important being browser tabs, which was an Opera implementation.

I think I left Opera at version 45, when they started integrating Facebook and Whatsapp into the sidebar. That was really it for me. Another reason was that I was having problems with video and audio playback on some sites via Linux, and Chromium solved all these instantly for me. For instance, for the life of me I couldn't get audio playback with Opera in Bandcamp and it drove me mad to have to switch browsers for it. I wanted to do everything in one browser without moving over, and Chromium allowed me to do that.

I can't really compare Opera 57 with Vivaldi since it's been over a year since I used Opera, and I can't really remember now what it was like to use. All I can say is that media playback is great in Vivaldi, customisation is second to none and the browser looks fantastic. It's also good to use a browser which still has old Opera at its heart. If I were you I would try it out. There are fewer privacy concerns too - as far as I'm aware, Opera is now owned by a Chinese company [again, someone else could confirm] which is why a lot of people half-jokingly refer to Opera as "Chinese botnet" - apparently it phones home a lot to China and sends data over there.

I can't verify the Chinese connection though, I haven't looked into it, so please take it with a pinch of salt. But one thing is for sure - Opera now is very different to what it once was, probably in a similar way to how Nokia now is nothing like Nokia used to be - in terms of ownership, functionality and ethics.

More info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ra_web_browser

cwizardone 11-30-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5931956)
...... - to be like Opera was around version 12. Another reason why it was so special was that Opera was a hotbed of innovation back in the day [or an "innovation factory" as one friend put it]: they came up with some great ideas which other browsers adopted - the most important being browser tabs, which was an Opera implementation...........

Here you go, a little Opera history, as of ten years ago.

http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blo...d-opportunity/

I loved Opera up to and including 12.16, which I still install and use from time to time.

enorbet 11-30-2018 04:37 PM

DAMMIT! lol... now I have to try Vivaldi :D

Gerard Lally 11-30-2018 04:58 PM

Compared to the other browsers of the day, Opera (up to version 12.16) was brilliant. I even paid something like 29 euro for the ad-free version. (Version 4 or thereabouts?) Small extras like the right-click menus that made it a pleasure to browse. And the accessibility features, like one-key shortcuts, were second to none. About 15 years ago I introduced it to a customer with very restricted mobility, and she was over the moon. Browsing the internet became so much more pleasurable for her. Then along came Chrome and Firefox, with their dumbed-down interface and accessibility-as-an-afterthought.

Eventually Opera succumbed, and replaced its Presto engine with Google's - not sure if it was Chromium or Blink, but it was so limited it came as a complete shock to those of us who had been using Opera for at least a decade. It was impossible to take on the might of Google and Mozilla, and most people never knew the difference between the Google browser and the Google search engine anyway. Why would they care about Opera? Yes, Vivaldi has also had to incorporate the Chromium engine, and there's no going back to the past, but it is clear that the Vivaldi team respects users, and strives to give them a browser that allows THEM to decide what kind of interface they want, unlike Google and Mozilla, who impose their interface on users whether they like it or not. And no, extensions of varying quality, extensions which might not be around tomorrow, do not compensate for their lack of browser customisation.

In a nutshell what I resent most about Chrome and Firefox is the insulting way Google and Mozilla decide on our behalf what is good for us. The Vivaldi team, on the other hand, are taking user input on board. To me that is 90% of the appeal, and the main reason I unreservedly applaud them, and use their browser.

upnort 11-30-2018 06:27 PM

I was using Opera in my NT4 days along with Netscape. Tabs were so ingenious. With tabs I soon left Netscape behind. One great feature of Opera was the link context menu that supported BOTH "Open Link in New Tab" and "Open Link in Background Tab." I love this feature because I never can predict if I want to read now as part of the thinking process of the current tab or read later.

With Firefox I always had to use add-ons to provide that simple feature. Sadly the Quantum version does not yet have a functional API to support context menu modifications. And I still don't use the Quantum version on my systems.

So my simple question: does Vivaldi support these same two simple link context menu options? Methinks "probably" based on this page screenshot.

One hopeful sign about the browser is the web site does not use overlays. Perhaps the developers have half a clue about design. :D

P.S. Don't tell me to middle-click. Ain't gonna happen. ;)

Quote:

It does contact Google, but only to:
Well, poo. I read the replies but my response still remains the same: I am not knowingly connecting to Google. :(

Quote:

We anonymize the IP address of Vivaldi users by removing the last octet of the IP address
That still provides geographical data against those not using a VPN. :(

Quote:

I resent most about Chrome and Firefox is the insulting way Google and Mozilla decide on our behalf what is good for us
Like their insulting I’ll be careful, I promise! dialog. ;)

That all said I should place Vivaldi on my short list of potential Firefox replacements. :)

1337_powerslacker 11-30-2018 08:31 PM

On the recommendation of the OP, I used the SlackBuild for vivaldi and tested it out. OMG, what a difference to Firefox!

For a long time, I've had issues with Firefox hogging ungodly amounts of RAM in a very short period of time, and becoming sluggish/unresponsive. With Vivaldi, however, everything is much faster, and silky-smooth. The features are something that only people who like browsing the web their way would put into it.

I'm going to use Vivaldi as my daily web browser for awhile, see how it performs on a day-to-day basis. Things are looking promising, however. ;)

BroX 12-02-2018 04:02 PM

Thanks Lysander666 and Ruario!

Finally a good Firefox alternative. Lastpass integration, Tidal support and tabs on the side without plugin; Vivaldi will be my daily browser!

Cheers, Leon.

enorbet 12-04-2018 01:31 AM

Update - It's in and I like it!

elcore 12-04-2018 01:45 AM

Got rid of it after few days of testing. Interface's cool, didn't like the engine.

Lysander666 12-04-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enorbet (Post 5933040)
Update - It's in and I like it!

Has it moved beyond 1337.51? The main page still says it's that one.

https://vivaldi.com/blog/

BroX 12-04-2018 06:01 AM

How does one set Vivaldi as default browser? The option in Vivaldi's settings does not seem to work for me.

Lysander666 12-04-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroX (Post 5933112)
How does one set Vivaldi as default browser? The option in Vivaldi's settings does not seem to work for me.

Is it possible that it's somehow being overridden by your DE? Which do you use?

EDIT: I don't know if this helps at all:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/3115...doesn-t-work/8

Failing that, go all out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...w=1920&bih=979

ehartman 12-04-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5933108)
Has it moved beyond 1337.51? The main page still says it's that one.
https://vivaldi.com/blog/

From the same page:
Quote:

Minor update (2) for Vivaldi 2.1

november 22, 2018

Today we release a minor update to 2.1 to address “CVE-2018-17479: Use-after-free in GPU”.
so yes (there's been an update) and no (it is still the same stable version).
I do not know if the update has been included in the sources when you download them now.

Lysander666 12-04-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehartman (Post 5933132)
From the same page:

so yes (there's been an update) and no (it is still the same stable version).
I do not know if the update has been included in the sources when you download them now.

Looks like ruario's scripts notifies you if there's nothing new to download:

Code:

root@psychopig-xxxiv:/home/lysander/Scripts# ./vivaldi-latest.sh
Vivaldi stable (2.1.1337.51) is already installed; exiting


enorbet 12-04-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5933108)
Has it moved beyond 1337.51? The main page still says it's that one.

https://vivaldi.com/blog/

I didn't check to see if Ruario's script specified "latest" or a specific version. I just wanted a glimpse at first so what I have, and like so far, is vivaldi-stable-2.1.1337.51-x86_64-1ro

BroX 12-04-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 5933113)
Is it possible that it's somehow being overridden by your DE? Which do you use?

EDIT: I don't know if this helps at all:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/3115...doesn-t-work/8

Failing that, go all out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...w=1920&bih=979

I am using i3 as a window manager, no DE. In firefox clicking the 'set as default...' always worked, but not so in Vivaldi. But the following (from your Vivaldi forum link) did the trick:
Code:

xdg-settings set default-web-browser vivaldi.desktop
Cheers, Leon.

solarfields 12-05-2018 03:15 AM

I installed Vivaldi on my laptop. It has an amazing interface, however I somehow dislike the behaviour of the address and search fields. Will play with the settings a bit more...

Lysander666 12-05-2018 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarfields (Post 5933443)
I installed Vivaldi on my laptop. It has an amazing interface, however I somehow dislike the behaviour of the address and search fields. Will play with the settings a bit more...

Out of interest, what do you mean when you say behaviour? The one thing that I find a little odd is the progress bar when loading a page. Chromium has a dial that spins when it's trying to connect and when it's loading [I think in Chromium, the dial spins anticlockwise when it's trying to connect and clockwise when it's loading]. When Vivaldi is trying to connect the progress bar just hangs and everything is at a standstill. It would be great if the progress bar pulsed rather than did nothing before the page loads.

solarfields 12-05-2018 05:58 AM

when i start typing in the address field, it would display some really weird suggestions, like something i have bookmarked long time ago, but have not visited recently.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.