LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
virtualbox Win7 guest won't start


OK. Last week I had a new graphics card installed so that I could use DirectX apps on Windows 7. I have booted Slackware with my monitor plugged into the new card's VGA output and it seems to be working correctly. I had a problem with vboxdrv missing, so I worked on resolving that, which I completed a few minutes ago. I had two guests, Win7, and Kali Linux. The Kali guest files disappeared (this happens somewhat frequently to me. I've no idea where they go.) My Win7 guest reports the following errors when I start it up:

Code:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-eth0' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

One of the kernel modules was not successfully loaded. Make sure that no kernel modules from an older version of VirtualBox exist. Then try to recompile and reload the kernel modules by executing '/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup' as root (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
In my pre-Linux days, I would have resolved something like this with a fresh install of Windows. I backed up my files regularly even back then, so this can be accomplished with minimal loss. Is there a way around it? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer in helping me to resolve this.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
xode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0; FC4; FC8; SUSE 10.3; SUSE 12.1; SUSE 13.2
Posts: 626
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 49
This is a wild guess on my part: it doesn't look like a Win7 problem at all, although there could also turn out to be a problem with Win7 once you get past this problem. It looks like the existing virtualbox kernel modules don't like your new graphics card and the fix could be as simple as the error message suggests, namely run '/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup' as root. That is the first thing I would try.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,296

Rep: Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschelsea View Post
OK. Last week I had a new graphics card installed so that I could use DirectX apps on Windows 7.
Before anyone starts falling down any rabbit holes here I take it you mean the newest card is so that a dual-booted Windows instance can make use of the DirectX features?
aside from that I agree with the above.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by xode View Post
This is a wild guess on my part: it doesn't look like a Win7 problem at all, although there could also turn out to be a problem with Win7 once you get past this problem. It looks like the existing virtualbox kernel modules don't like your new graphics card and the fix could be as simple as the error message suggests, namely run '/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup' as root. That is the first thing I would try.
How?
Code:
root@caitlyn:~# /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
-su: /sbin/rcvboxdrv: No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~#
 
Old 05-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
xode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0; FC4; FC8; SUSE 10.3; SUSE 12.1; SUSE 13.2
Posts: 626
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschelsea View Post
How?
Code:
root@caitlyn:~# /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
-su: /sbin/rcvboxdrv: No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~#
So rcvboxdrv is not in the sbin directory.

Possibly it might be in other executable directories: try:

Code:
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/local/bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/bin/rcvboxdrv*
...and see if it is listed there. Some of those executable directories might not exist on your system and there might be executable directories on your system I haven't referenced here. If rcvboxdrv's location still eludes you, you might want to open up a root file manager GUI window and do a search for rcvboxdrv from the root directory on down.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
upnort
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 955

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
On your Slackware host run lsmod | grep vbox. You should see something like this:

Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
vboxdrv               415647  4 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
vboxnetadp             19493  0
vboxnetflt             19359  0
vboxpci                16252  0
If you installed VirtualBox from slackbuilds.org, there is no file /sbin/rcvboxdrv. Instead there is /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv, but the script is Slackified to not support the setup option. Instead a separate build script is used to create the kernel module.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
xode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0; FC4; FC8; SUSE 10.3; SUSE 12.1; SUSE 13.2
Posts: 626
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
On your Slackware host run lsmod | grep vbox. You should see something like this:

Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
vboxdrv               415647  4 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
vboxnetadp             19493  0
vboxnetflt             19359  0
vboxpci                16252  0
If you installed VirtualBox from slackbuilds.org, there is no file /sbin/rcvboxdrv. Instead there is /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv, but the script is Slackified to not support the setup option. Instead a separate build script is used to create the kernel module.
What would be the full path and filename of that separate build script? I don't use slackware so I'm not versed in its details but maschelsea needs to run that kernel module build script and rebuild those kernel modules.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by xode View Post
So rcvboxdrv is not in the sbin directory.

Possibly it might be in other executable directories: try:

Code:
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/local/bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /bin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/bin/rcvboxdrv*
...and see if it is listed there. Some of those executable directories might not exist on your system and there might be executable directories on your system I haven't referenced here. If rcvboxdrv's location still eludes you, you might want to open up a root file manager GUI window and do a search for rcvboxdrv from the root directory on down.
Nope.
Code:
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/usr/sbin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/bin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /usr/local/bin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/usr/local/bin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /bin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/bin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/sbin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/opt/sbin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# ls -al /opt/bin/rcvboxdrv*
/bin/ls: cannot access '/opt/bin/rcvboxdrv*': No such file or directory
root@caitlyn:~# updatedb
root@caitlyn:~# locate rcvboxdrv*
root@caitlyn:~#
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by xode View Post
What would be the full path and filename of that separate build script? I don't use slackware so I'm not versed in its details but maschelsea needs to run that kernel module build script and rebuild those kernel modules.
Code:
root@caitlyn:~#  lsmod | grep vbox
vboxdrv               415562  0
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,080

Rep: Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744
rcvboxdrv is not part of the Slackware package for virtualbox, however, you should have an rc.vboxdrv in your /etc/rc.d/ directory. This is what's used to load the virtualbox modules. Normally, you'd make sure that is executable and then add an entry to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to start it on boot. Do you already have it executable? What happens if you try and run /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start as root?

As for the modules, they need to be built for every kernel. So, based on your last post, it seems you built it for a 4.9 kernel. If that is the kernel you're running, the modules should be in /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION/misc/. You can verify that using the following command:

Code:
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/
If you still run into issues, try using modprobe to load the vboxdrv module and note any error messages (if it doesn't load, check your dmesg for more information).
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
upnort
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE
Posts: 955

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
What would be the full path and filename of that separate build script?
https://www.slackbuilds.org/reposito...ualbox-kernel/
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Win7 booted. The line '/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start' worked great. I'm still thinking of the gentoo way of startup scripts residing in /etc/init.d. I modprobed vboxdrv manually. The Win7 guest started up with after I tried the rc.d version. Thank you to bassmadrigal for helping me.

Last edited by maschelsea; 05-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.
 
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,080

Rep: Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744Reputation: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschelsea View Post
Win7 booted. The line '/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start' worked great. I'm still thinking of the gentoo way of startup scripts residing in /etc/init.d. I modprobed vboxdrv manually. The Win7 guest started up with after I tried the rc.d version. Thank you to bassmadrigal for helping me.
Yeah, Slackware is a bit different than Gentoo. Be sure when getting stuff from SBo that you check out the README. In VirtualBox's case, there was also a README.Slackware that was referenced in the normal README with some additional instruction, including how to set up VirtualBox to start on boot.

But I'm glad you got it working
 
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
More issues with virtualbox-kernel. I found out from another thread that whenever the Slackware kernel is updated, I'll need to reinstall virtualbox-kernel. When I tried that just now, I got a strange error that I haven't seen before:
Code:
.
.
.
virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxnetflt/math/gcc/divdi3.c
virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxnetflt/math/gcc/umoddi3.c
virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxnetflt/math/gcc/moddi3.c
virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxnetflt/SUPDrvIDC.h
*** Building 'vboxdrv' module ***
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/SBo/virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxdrv'
Makefile:194: *** Error: KERN_DIR does not point to a directory.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/SBo/virtualbox-kernel-5.0.30/vboxdrv'
make: *** [Makefile:40: all] Error 2
What path should I take to resolve this error? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer to solve this...
 
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
maschelsea
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Slackware 64bit 14.2
Posts: 325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I still had my directory extracted from the virtualbox-kernel problem I had earlier. After I rebooted with the current newest kernel, I re-ran the slackbuild and now I'm back in Windows again.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VirtualBox won't start Ook Slackware 13 01-11-2018 01:08 AM
Running Out of Win7 VirtualBox Guest Disk Space tronayne Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 10 10-29-2015 10:05 AM
[SOLVED] if attacker compromises virtualbox guest win7 ... ////// Linux - Security 3 04-28-2015 08:32 AM
virtualbox won't run prog on ubutu guest mac host gav251 General 2 11-14-2013 07:16 AM
VirtualBox Slackware guest on Win7 host -- folder sharing R_Shackleford Slackware 3 07-15-2010 11:29 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration