SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Which file should I change it to updating the kernel with slackpkg and continue with previous versions? I remember that I can define the number of versions of kernels that would like to keep on the PC.
Sorry for asking but since I tried searching and so far I can not find the file. I remember seeing this tip here.
Location: Somewhere inside 9.9 million sq. km. Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1, 14.2
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to prevent an update to a newer kernel? If yes, then edit the file /etc/slackpkg/blacklist. From that file :
# Automated upgrade of kernel packages aren't a good idea (and you need to
# run "lilo" after upgrade). If you think the same, uncomment the lines
Are you sure it was in slackware and not Ubuntu or Debian. If I'm not mistaken both of them have the option to keep only so many kernel versions. In slackware you have to blacklist the kernels as already mentioned then download the new kernel packages manually and install using installpkg to install.
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 bit MLED with XFCE 4.12
I let slackpkg update the kernels for me. I tried switching to the generic kernel, but had issues re-installing the broadcom-sta drivers and decided it was best to just keep the huge kernel and let slackpkg update when an update came out.
Slackpkg is upgrading kernels just fine. I did it this weekend - the disadvantage is that slackpkg removes the old kernel automatically. So you will need to be sure that the new kernel works on the system. I just forgot to switch to 'init 1' before the upgrade so I had some problems with the modules and needed to fix that by hand.
I also used the opportunity to switch to generic, which worked flawlwssly.