LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Trash is Full. Empty Trash before moving more files/folders to Trash. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/trash-is-full-empty-trash-before-moving-more-files-folders-to-trash-4175619103/)

wdarledge 12-06-2017 07:52 PM

Trash is Full. Empty Trash before moving more files/folders to Trash.
 
Trash on KDE/Xwindows/Slackware 14.2/Linux 4.4.14 shows empty in Dolphin.

When I attempt to "move to Trash" a Folder in Root/root in Dolphin (who thought that stupid <edited> up).... I get:

Trash is Full. Empty Trash before moving more files/folders to Trash. (not an exact quote)....

This is the old Aggie trick, right?

Still, it makes me wonder if Dolphin shows Trash to be empty when IN FACT it is NOT~!

That would be total and unequivocally the biggest pile of <edited> I have ever seen and
probably would send me out to OfficeMax to buy a copy of Windows 10~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody know what the ":F:" is going on <edited>?
david

Darth Vader 12-06-2017 08:04 PM

Have fun with your brand new Windows 10.

I for one, last time I tried it, I surrendered after 2 days, when while I tried to copy to a stick a document on which I worked ELEVEN hours, it decided to reboot and reinstall the OS. Or maybe was some must be upgrade, who know?

Alternatively, you can learn to talk civil to the other forum users, while "you ask them for help" on an issue in an operating system which you got gratis.

Talking civil is the basis to convince a Good Samaritan to try to help you. ;)

PS. We are users in this Forum, too. Precisely not part of the Microsoft, Corp. Support Hot Line.

RadicalDreamer 12-06-2017 09:27 PM

Have you:
Code:

rm -r ./local/share/Trash
?

Richard Cranium 12-06-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdarledge (Post 5789855)
Trash on KDE/Xwindows/Slackware 14.2/Linux 4.4.14 shows empty in Dolphin.

When I attempt to "move to Trash" a Folder in Root/root in Dolphin (who thought that stupid shit up).... I get:

Trash is Full. Empty Trash before moving more files/folders to Trash. (not an exact quote)....

This is the old Aggie trick, right?

Still, it makes me wonder if Dolphin shows Trash to be empty when IN FACT it is NOT~!

That would be total and unequivocally the biggest pile of SHIT I have ever seen and
probably would send me out to OfficeMax to buy a copy of Windows 10~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody know what the ":F:" is going on with this floating TURD?
david

If you open up a terminal in your home directory and type the command
Code:

df -h .
...what do you see?

wdarledge 12-06-2017 10:46 PM

rabbit hunting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vader (Post 5789858)
Have fun with your brand new Windows 10.

I for one, last time I tried it, I surrendered after 2 days, when while I tried to copy to a stick a document on which I worked ELEVEN hours, it decided to reboot and reinstall the OS. Or maybe was some must be upgrade, who know?

Alternatively, you can learn to talk civil to the other forum users, while "you ask them for help" on an issue in an operating system which you got gratis.

Talking civil is the basis to convince a Good Samaritan to try to help you. ;)

PS. We are users in this Forum, too. Precisely not part of the Microsoft, Corp. Support Hot Line.


Sorry you had that issue. looks like we ALL have things w/computers that we don't Trust and that MAKE US MAD ....... your point is taken about "talking
to other forum users in an uncivil manner". i am not so sure I was being "uncivil" though. maybe that is just the way YOU took it. that is ON YOU~!

My goal in life is to be direct and unflinching.
<edited>

david

wdarledge 12-06-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium (Post 5789906)
If you open up a terminal in your home directory and type the command
Code:

df -h .
...what do you see?

hang on, i will get right back with you..

wdarledge 12-06-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium (Post 5789906)
If you open up a terminal in your home directory and type the command
Code:

df -h .
...what do you see?

bash-4.3# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 360G 14G 328G 5% /
devtmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0G 1004K 4.0G 1% /run
tmpfs 4.0G 268K 4.0G 1% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
bash-4.3#

wdarledge 12-06-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer (Post 5789899)
Have you:
Code:

rm -r ./local/share/Trash
?

hold .....

wdarledge 12-06-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdarledge (Post 5789918)
hold .....

dude...thought I recognized the name ..... good to hear from you,

no, in the rm -r ./local/share/Trash command i get squat, if I try to cd to that directory - it doesn't exist

/usr/local is there, and there is a /share in it but, i get whiffs of it in ls but in cd /share i get "/share: No such file or directory"

so, I'm a little lost unless this is what you were expecting to see .....

is that close?

RadicalDreamer 12-06-2017 11:21 PM

Lets update the database:
Code:

updatedb
Then lets find the places Trash could be.
Code:

locate Trash
It should list the places where things with the word "Trash" in them exist.

Richard Cranium 12-07-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdarledge (Post 5789916)
bash-4.3# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 360G 14G 328G 5% /
devtmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0G 1004K 4.0G 1% /run
tmpfs 4.0G 268K 4.0G 1% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
bash-4.3#

Thank you for not reading what I wrote and running some similar command in who knows what directory.

However, none of your partitions appear to be full so it doesn't matter that much.

What does (please run this command as I wrote it)
Code:

ls -al ~/.local/share | grep Trash
show? It might be that you can't write into your trash folder.

EDIT: Ah, @RadicalDreamer asked something similar and you no longer have a trash folder. Maybe you should create one and try again. Try running
Code:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/Trash
followed by
Code:

chmod u=rwx,g=,o= ~/.local/share/Trash
and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you might have to create a couple of subdirectories in there (~/.local/share/Trash/files and ~/.local/share/Trash/info) which should be accessible only by you (same permissions as the Trash directory).

RadicalDreamer 12-07-2017 12:28 AM

I should have put a disclaimer on the
Code:

rm -r ./local/share/Trash
The ./local means hidden directory local. It would be in your user's home directory at ~/

rm -r (remove recursively starting with the directory mentioned). This command permanently deletes stuff and should be handled with the utmost care.

gauchao 12-07-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

That would be total and unequivocally the biggest pile of SHIT I have ever seen and
probably would send me out to OfficeMax to buy a copy of Windows 10~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody know what the ":F:" is going on with this floating TURD?
Please, moderate your language. I have the answer to your problem, but I don't feel quite interested in helping someone who speaks so rudely in a friendly forum. Anyway, this will do the trick:

Quote:

rm -r ./local/share/Trash
Then you can go back to your nice MS-OS...

brianL 12-07-2017 04:58 AM

wdarledge, + all other Americans:
ASS = donkey
The word you want is ARSE.
Pisses me off when people misuse my language. :tisk:

RadicalDreamer 12-07-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianL (Post 5790019)
wdarledge, + all other Americans:
ASS = donkey
The word you want is ARSE.
Pisses me off when people misuse my language. :tisk:

How about Elmer Fudd it = AWSE


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.