LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #1786
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 1,216

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWitCheese View Post
fluxodyssey
What font is that in your conky theme?
 
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #1787
RoyaleWitCheese
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Location: Acadia,New Brunswick, Canada
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
the font is......

Radio Space
 
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #1788
allend
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 3,293

Rep: Reputation: 803Reputation: 803Reputation: 803Reputation: 803Reputation: 803Reputation: 803Reputation: 803
Patching xorg-server for mouse bounding in scale/panning

My netbook has a maximum native resolution of 1024x600 but it is useful to be able to use xrandr with the scale and panning options. The scale option can be used to match the LVDS display to the external VGA display (eg projector usage) or just for getting a pseudo higher resolution display. The panning option is useful when accessing higher resolution displays on remote computers.
The version of xorg-server in Slackware 14.0 has a problem with the mouse being bound to the native resolution. There is a patch by Chris Bagwell available that addresses this. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39949
I downloaded the patch into the x11/patch/xorg-server/ directory in the x11 source tree and added a line to x11/patch/xorg-server.patch
Code:
cat $CWD/patch/xorg-server/0001-Account-for-panning-scaling-when-bounding-RR-cursor.patch | patch -p1 --verbose  || { touch ${SLACK_X_BUILD_DIR}/${PKGNAME}.failed ; continue ; }
Then I rebuilt the xorg-server packages with 'x11.SlackBuild xserver'. (Far quicker to rebuild four packages than all of x11!)
Now I can have a pseudo higher resolution display where the mouse can access all areas with 'xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.28x1.28'. As the attached screenshot shows, it is a somewhat fuzzy, but is still quite usable.
Panning also works with 'xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --ouput LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --panning 1280x1024'
Attached Images
File Type: png snapshot_scaled.png (88.6 KB, 161 views)
 
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #1789
xslc
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: korea
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetii View Post
Just little modified kde desktop...

http://www.pohrani.com/f/1l/RY/RmqGrQQ/snapshot4.png
nice wallpaper .. can you uplouad for me . ty
 
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #1790
securitybreach
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: In front of my computers, USA
Distribution: Archlinux 64
Posts: 100

Rep: Reputation: 16
Wrong post, sorry :-)
 
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #1791
SqdnGuns
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Fountain Valley, CA / Thailand
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 981

Rep: Reputation: 88
Talking

Just completed a fresh install, got a new OCZ Nocti mSATA 30GB SSD for $35 USD and decided to use it for my root partition. I have a Thinkpad T520 that came with an Intel 160GB SSD which I am using for my /home and /crap partition. I had a spare 16GB Kingston Micro SD card laying around so I figured I would use that for my swap and /tmp, seems to be working just fine this way!!

The only thing that I did not install was KDE, never been a big fan of KDE. I am using Openbox which is blazing fast on these SSD's. It appears that I have everything running the way I want now, in fact this is the most satisfied I have been running Slackware. Everything on this laptop is running perfectly!!

The one thing I have not been able to take care of is the "block" character at the end of my Conky, tried everything and it won't go away.

Here are a few screenshots.

Clean Desktop:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_01.png

Using obshutdown for Openbox:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_02.png

And a cluttered desktop:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_03.png
 
Old 11-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #1792
emgee_1
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 38

Rep: Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqdnGuns View Post
Just completed a fresh install, got a new OCZ Nocti mSATA 30GB SSD for $35 USD and decided to use it for my root partition. I have a Thinkpad T520 that came with an Intel 160GB SSD which I am using for my /home and /crap partition. I had a spare 16GB Kingston Micro SD card laying around so I figured I would use that for my swap and /tmp, seems to be working just fine this way!!

The only thing that I did not install was KDE, never been a big fan of KDE. I am using Openbox which is blazing fast on these SSD's. It appears that I have everything running the way I want now, in fact this is the most satisfied I have been running Slackware. Everything on this laptop is running perfectly!!

The one thing I have not been able to take care of is the "block" character at the end of my Conky, tried everything and it won't go away.

Here are a few screenshots.

Clean Desktop:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_01.png

Using obshutdown for Openbox:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_02.png

And a cluttered desktop:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/20121122_03.png
Very very nice openbox desktop. Can you post your openbox menu? Is the top panel PyPanel?

Will look into your obshutdown, which looks great.

Marcel

Last edited by emgee_1; 11-22-2012 at 07:22 AM.
 
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #1793
diwljina
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqdnGuns View Post
Nice application. Where did you find Slackware package? I don't see slackuild script on slackbuilds.org.

Very nice desktop, BTW.
 
Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #1794
SqdnGuns
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Fountain Valley, CA / Thailand
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 981

Rep: Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee_1 View Post
Very very nice openbox desktop. Can you post your openbox menu? Is the top panel PyPanel?

Will look into your obshutdown, which looks great.

Marcel
Thanks!

Here is the menu: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1574277/menu.xml

The top panel is tint2.

---------- Post added Nov 22nd, 2012 at 11:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwljina View Post
Nice application. Where did you find Slackware package? I don't see slackuild script on slackbuilds.org.

Very nice desktop, BTW.
I built a package with src2pkg.
 
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #1795
D1ver
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 527
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqdnGuns View Post
Thanks!
I built a package with src2pkg.
Awesome looking desktop and thanks for letting me know about obshutdown! I've just built it myself, seems to work great.


This is slightly off-topic, but is there a way to have src2pkg use a directory as it's build source? Rather than checking out the git repo, creating a tarball and then pointing src2pkg at the tarball?
 
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #1796
SqdnGuns
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Fountain Valley, CA / Thailand
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 981

Rep: Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ver View Post
Awesome looking desktop and thanks for letting me know about obshutdown! I've just built it myself, seems to work great.


This is slightly off-topic, but is there a way to have src2pkg use a directory as it's build source? Rather than checking out the git repo, creating a tarball and then pointing src2pkg at the tarball?
I happened to stumble upon obshutdown, nice little tool.

When I use src2pkg, I download the source package and drop it into a directory called src, example would be /crap/src

I then just run src2pkg, example; src2pkg /crap/src/source_to_build.tar.gz

Easy enough.
 
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #1797
domagoj
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I just got back to slackware after using arch for some years and I am falling for it again )
just i3wm with lots of cli apps and infinality patch
http://i.imgur.com/E6uAz.jpg
 
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #1798
qweasd
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 432

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by domagoj View Post
I just got back to slackware after using arch for some years and I am falling for it again )
just i3wm with lots of cli apps and infinality patch
http://i.imgur.com/E6uAz.jpg
Sweet wallpaper, care to share?
 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #1799
D1ver
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 527
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqdnGuns View Post
I happened to stumble upon obshutdown, nice little tool.

When I use src2pkg, I download the source package and drop it into a directory called src, example would be /crap/src

I then just run src2pkg, example; src2pkg /crap/src/source_to_build.tar.gz

Easy enough.
Ah sorry I mean building from a directory rather than a source package.
Eg:
Code:
git clone git://github.com/whatever
src2pkg -foo ./whatever
At the moment I have to go
Code:
git clone git://github.com/whatever
tar -czvf whatever.tgz
src2pkg  ./whatever.tgz
Which is a bit silly..
 
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #1800
domagoj
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sure here is the wallpaper!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/09ttyv8of6...eredmosaic.jpg

Last edited by domagoj; 11-24-2012 at 06:57 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
background, cwm, dwm, framebuffer, gui, i3, ion3, kde, monitor, screenshot, tmux, wallpaper, xfce4, xterm


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Desktop on Slackware? darkhatter Slackware 3 10-10-2006 12:26 PM
Slackware 10.0 with NO Desktop NiPP Linux - Newbie 2 01-02-2006 10:43 AM
3d desktop on Slackware k1ll3r_x Linux - Software 1 09-20-2005 10:47 PM
Desktop Slackware s0no Slackware 5 12-04-2004 11:20 AM
I can't get my desktop in Slackware 10 DraGoNsLaYeR Linux - Newbie 1 06-27-2004 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration