LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #946
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55020 View Post
Just FYI folks, I tried building 4.19 for i686 in an up-to-date -current VM multiple times, but it died (repeatably) with the old gcc favourite: "internal compiler error: Segmentation fault". So there won't be a 32-bit 4.19 dusk kernel for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
Maybe it can be reversed????

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...5f394c5f167a0a
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #947
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,901

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How did you get to the conclusion that is the problematic commit? Maybe I am missing something obvious, but to me it looks like it removes support for old gcc versions which shouldn't affect current?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #948
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
How did you get to the conclusion that is the problematic commit? Maybe I am missing something obvious, but to me it looks like it removes support for old gcc versions which shouldn't affect current?
And I quote!!! Reverse the affect by adding it back since it didn't compile on the Newer or whatever version. Some are just too smart for their own good!!!

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 10-22-2018 at 06:31 PM.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #949
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,777

Rep: Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
And I quote!!! Reverse the affect by adding it back since it didn't compile on the Newer or whatever version. Some are just too smart for their own good!!!
At the risk of also being too smart for my own good, why would a commit removing support for gcc version < 4.6 have any bearing on Slackware -current?
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #950
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
At the risk of also being too smart for my own good, why would a commit removing support for gcc version < 4.6 have any bearing on Slackware -current?
Because NOT everyone is on current but should still be able to benefit.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #951
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,777

Rep: Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Because NOT everyone is on current but should still be able to benefit.
What are you even talking about? The subject was Linux 4.19 failing to build on -current 32 bit.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #952
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
What are you even talking about? The subject was Linux 4.19 failing to build on -current 32 bit.
Because I use his builds and I'm not on current. What don't you understand, if it not building on current or whatever, lets find a solution. Reverting is a possibility.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 10-22-2018 at 06:51 PM.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #953
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,777

Rep: Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363
Alright, well whatever you're talking about, it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by montagdude; 10-22-2018 at 06:59 PM.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #954
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Alright, well whatever you're talking about, it makes no sense to me. Carry on.
So, stop trying to respond to every post to get likes and count up.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #955
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,777

Rep: Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
So, stop trying to respond to every post to get likes and count up.
I responded to your post to try to get you to clarify what you meant, since the commit you referenced obviously has nothing to do with the issue that was being discussed. You then made it abundantly clear that you have no idea what you are talking about, so I tried to exit the conversation without making a big deal about that. But now that you've decided to act like a jerk instead of actually explaining yourself, there you have it. Bye.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #956
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
I responded to your post to try to get you to clarify what you meant, since the commit you referenced obviously has nothing to do with the issue that was being discussed. You then made it abundantly clear that you have no idea what you are talking about, so I tried to exit the conversation without making a big deal about that. But now that you've decided to act like a jerk instead of actually explaining yourself, there you have it. Bye.
And yet you took a half-hour to come up with a rebuttal. You need a life, I hope you get one. Don't focus on me because I'm not a threat, but I can easily become one.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 10-22-2018 at 07:43 PM.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #957
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,777

Rep: Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
And yet you took a half-hour to come up with a rebuttal. You need a life, I hope you get one.
ROFL. I have no life because I'm not on the forums constantly. That makes about an much sense as anything else you've posted today. Enjoy being the only person on my ignore list.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #958
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 992

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
ROFL. I have no life because I'm not on the forums constantly. That makes about an much sense as anything else you've posted today. Enjoy being the only person on my ignore list.
I have never quoted or contacted you personally, so I won't lose any sleep tonight. Lol, You can use your tactics on something or someone who cares about getting banned. I'll continue making it with or without LQ. I have done it majority of my life. You might need them because of your insecurities, but I don't....My wife and kids will be just fine and so will I.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 10-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.
 
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #959
cwizardone
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib."
Posts: 5,773

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107Reputation: 3107
Guys!
Please, leave your personal problems at home.
Thank you.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #960
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,901

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Because I use his builds and I'm not on current. What don't you understand, if it not building on current or whatever, lets find a solution. Reverting is a possibility.
I'm just curious, what are you using? Slackware 14.2 has gcc-5.3.0, Slackware 14.1 has gcc-4.8.2 and Slackware 14.0 has gcc-4.7.1 so I think it would not matter for any supported Slackware release? I'm also not sure this issue would present itself with any of the older gcc versions shipped in Slackware releases, have you tried building the kernel yourself?

As for finding a solution, I think the best method would be to git bisect the kernel and find the commit that caused the issue, but that also seems very tedious...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux.conf.au: Latest Linux kernel release due early March DragonSlayer48DX Linux - News 0 01-18-2010 10:43 PM
No video on latest kernel release Tralce Linux - Kernel 3 11-30-2006 07:48 AM
What is the latest Redhat release TILEMANN Linux - Software 5 11-20-2006 10:48 PM
LXer: News: OpenVZ To Release Support, Patches for Latest Kernel LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-01-2006 10:54 PM
latest debian release? doralsoral Linux - Software 5 12-25-2004 12:40 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration