LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #16
abga
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 721

Rep: Reputation: 404Reputation: 404Reputation: 404Reputation: 404Reputation: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Face it, we persons here at LQ are geeks who love taking computers and operating systems apart and putting them back together.

We are not typical.
I was just suggesting Darth to switch from that corporate backed thingy to something more secure/simple/reliable, without being able to help him with his actual concerns. Sorry, I'm using Skype only when I'm forced to (corporate).

I'm just wondering how small the minority of those typical users is, that are still messaging on desktops computers these days...
https://signal.org/
"Fast, simple, secure.
Privacy that fits in your pocket.

Android
iPhone
Desktop
"

Last edited by abga; 09-23-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: ate two linking words, hungry again
 
Old 09-23-2018, 12:52 AM   #17
Gordie
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 428

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ng-4175638207/ Were any of these solutions of help?
There was only really one solution in that 5 page thread and it works after a fashion on both 14.2 and current.
I have it working but it is sorta crippled
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #18
john2x
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
So far I've been able to get away with using Skype on my Android device exclusively. Fortunately I don't need it for work, otherwise I'd be out of luck if I needed to do screen sharing on my laptop.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 03:39 AM   #19
Melke
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Graz, Austria
Distribution: Slackware Current
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 40
I'm still using Skype on Slackware... admittedly I am using flatpak for Skype.. but it works

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...search=flatpak

with this repo
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.skype.Client

Kr
Melke

Last edited by Melke; 09-23-2018 at 03:40 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #20
chris.willing
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Slackware,LFS
Posts: 489

Rep: Reputation: 284Reputation: 284Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melke View Post
I'm still using Skype on Slackware... admittedly I am using flatpak for Skype.. but it works

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...search=flatpak

with this repo
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.skype.Client

Kr
Melke
At the moment, the Skype version in the linked flatpak is 8.29.0.50 - same as in SBo at the moment and which works fine here too. However the problem as described in skypeforlinux-latest-update-not-working-417563820 is actually with version 8.30.0.50. It'll be interesting to see if the flatpak still works when it's upgraded to 8.30.0.50 and beyond.

chris
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 2,727

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231
BTW, the Skype 8.29.0.50 crashes (with segfault) after the update for GLIBC in -current. And any available previous version behaves the same.
Code:
[10720.907849] skypeforlinux[22734]: segfault at ab6fd0 ip 0000000000ab6fd0 sp 00007ffc8a1f1138 error 15 in skypeforlinux[200000+160b000]
[10720.907866] Code: f7 01 2f 26 86 30 1f 06 03 55 1d 23 04 18 30 16 80 14 4e 0b ef 1a a4 40 5b a5 17 69 87 30 ca 34 68 43 d0 41 ae f2 30 66 06 08 <2b> 06 01 05 05 07 01 01 04 5a 30 58 30 27 06 08 2b 06 01 05 05 07
That's on dmesg.

So, right now on -current does not work natively any Skype release.

Last edited by Darth Vader; 09-23-2018 at 08:35 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #22
bodqhrohro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Location: Ukraine
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux 10
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Doesn't https://web.skype.com satisfy you?
 
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
bodqhrohro
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Location: Ukraine
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux 10
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
BTW, the Skype 8.29.0.50 crashes (with segfault) after the update for GLIBC in -current. And any available previous version behaves the same.
Code:
[10720.907849] skypeforlinux[22734]: segfault at ab6fd0 ip 0000000000ab6fd0 sp 00007ffc8a1f1138 error 15 in skypeforlinux[200000+160b000]
[10720.907866] Code: f7 01 2f 26 86 30 1f 06 03 55 1d 23 04 18 30 16 80 14 4e 0b ef 1a a4 40 5b a5 17 69 87 30 ca 34 68 43 d0 41 ae f2 30 66 06 08 <2b> 06 01 05 05 07 01 01 04 5a 30 58 30 27 06 08 2b 06 01 05 05 07
That's on dmesg.

So, right now on -current does not work natively any Skype release.
What CPU do you have? The 8.x client is known to be built with some newer instructions support, like sse and ssse and probably some others. So it won't start on old CPUs that lack such instructions, regardless of OS/distro.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
Gordie
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 428

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Debian - Well you are happy at least. Skype works on Debian and Red Hat. This is a Slackware Forum and the thread concerns Skype not working on Slackware
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #25
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 2,727

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodqhrohro View Post
What CPU do you have? The 8.x client is known to be built with some newer instructions support, like sse and ssse and probably some others. So it won't start on old CPUs that lack such instructions, regardless of OS/distro.
Excuse me? Now an AMD Phenom x4 9650 at 2.3GHz is obsolete?

AND, the same Skype release worked fine before upgrading the GLIBC to 2.28 on Slackware-current.

Last edited by Darth Vader; 09-23-2018 at 09:00 AM.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
interndan
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: near Marion, Ill
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 64bit on Desktop Slackwarearm on Raspberry PI v1b
Posts: 343

Rep: Reputation: 29
Try reverting to an earlier GLIBC for a while. You are talking about -current. Sometimes things break on -current. That is why it isn't recommended for production machines.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #27
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 2,727

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by interndan View Post
Try reverting to an earlier GLIBC for a while. You are talking about -current. Sometimes things break on -current. That is why it isn't recommended for production machines.
Thank you, I considered that already.

AND, no dot worry, I do not use -current in production machine.

Unless we consider a production machine my test-machine with solely purpose is me to play with Plasma5...

Like I say in thread's title, I am worried about what will happen on the next-to-be Slackware 15.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 170

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

Like I say in thread's title, I am worried about what will happen on the next-to-be Slackware 15.
Something will likely be figured out. There are many clever people here.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 2,727

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
Something will likely be figured out. There are many clever people here.
Everyone knows already what should be done to avoid those kinds of problems.

BUT that thing will not be done, because of a bunch of guys loves to play fundamentalists.

Last edited by Darth Vader; 09-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.
 
Old 09-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #30
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 369
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Everyone knows already what should be done to avoid those kinds of problems.

BUT that thing will not be done, because of a bunch of guys loves to play fundamentalists.
What should be done (?), please spell it out! I'm sitting here imagining that you are saying that, "everyone knows we should adopt systemd", and other things like that.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unkown cause for systemd failure state - systemd-logind cannot start org.freedesktop.systemd1 after server reboot mario.p Linux - Server 5 07-30-2018 03:11 AM
[SOLVED] will slackware drop newer KDE versions or go systemd rob.rice Slackware 73 04-23-2017 02:03 PM
[SOLVED] How to compile latest sources using older gcc glibc versions and run them? nirvaanr Linux - Software 4 06-08-2016 10:32 AM
[SOLVED] removing previous older kernels "vmlinuz" when updates get newer versions james2b Linux - Newbie 7 09-12-2011 05:13 AM
how to use older versions of glibc turls Programming 4 07-07-2004 04:40 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration