LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Slackware server -- container options? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-server-container-options-4175693184/)

Gerard Lally 04-05-2021 06:52 PM

Slackware server -- container options?
 
Interested to hear what people use to "jail" services on their Slackware servers.

About a decade ago I set up NetBSD as a lightweight Xen host (dom0) with multiple Xen Linux and NetBSD guests (domU) spun off for different services. DNS, web, mail, VPN, etc.

It was an interesting learning exercise, and I would be happy to set up my VPS server this way again if necessary.

Before doing that, however, I would like to hear what people use on Slackware. I'm familiar with KVM/Qemu, but not with Slackware as a host (or guest) for OpenVZ, LXC, Docker, and so on. I have no familiarity with these at all, although from the little I've read it seems there are lingering security concerns with Docker and Kubernetes that I certainly want to avoid.

I was surprised to see that OpenVZ is not listed at slackbuilds dot org. Is it not used these days? LXC seems to be an Ubuntu thing, which doesn't particularly appeal to me.

giomat 04-05-2021 11:52 PM

Regarding lxc, thats something that works with every Linux, and Slackware Is as good as any other distro to host lxc containers.
The ubuntu thing you mention is probably LXD, that is an interface made by canonical to manage lxc containers, but underneath it's just lxc.

walecha 04-06-2021 04:46 AM

This just one of the several hypervisor server running slackware64.
https://imgur.com/w5a81S3

bw42 04-06-2021 08:37 AM

My current server I'm using QEMU+KVM to run virtual machines.

My new server I'm working to build is moving to LXC.

I'm currently using LXC on my desktop to work on building packages.
It seems to work well, though I need to work on fine tuning the cgroups for resource sharing.

Gerard Lally 04-06-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giomat (Post 6237629)
Regarding lxc, thats something that works with every Linux, and Slackware Is as good as any other distro to host lxc containers.
The ubuntu thing you mention is probably LXD, that is an interface made by canonical to manage lxc containers, but underneath it's just lxc.

Thanks. For some reason I thought LXC was Canonical.

I see that Virtuozzo was involved in creating LXC. Does that mean they have given up on OpenVZ? There doesn't seem to be anything about running Slackware as an OpenVZ host.

Another question : how do people go about exporting storage to a LXC container? NFS?

If you have, for example, a container running Seafile or NextCloud, and want to export virtually all your storage to the container, do you allocate it specifically to the container or just run a NFS server on the host?

Sorry for the questions. It's all a bit new to me.

franzen 04-08-2021 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard Lally (Post 6237752)
If you have, for example, a container running Seafile or NextCloud, and want to export virtually all your storage to the container, do you allocate it specifically to the container or just run a NFS server on the host?

You may bind-mount a folder from you host in the container for example. For other options, you may see an lxc-container almost like a complete virtualization with it's own network/namespace where could mount something with sshfs or whatever.

Olek 04-08-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franzen (Post 6238455)
You may bind-mount a folder from you host in the container for example. For other options, you may see an lxc-container almost like a complete virtualization with it's own network/namespace where could mount something with sshfs or whatever.

There is Sharing Directories with the Host chapter in this howto:
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:mi..._with_the_host

Chuck56 04-08-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard Lally (Post 6237752)
... Another question : how do people go about exporting storage to a LXC container? NFS?

If you have, for example, a container running Seafile or NextCloud, and want to export virtually all your storage to the container, do you allocate it specifically to the container or just run a NFS server on the host?

I'm currently using LVM and assigning LVs to each LXC container. That way I can grow or shrink containers using LVM.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.