LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #391
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,959

Rep: Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655

All the items below are not exclusive to Slackware, but as far as I know, no other distro includes all of them at the same time (short of spinoffs/"based-on" distros). These are all off the top of my head. If I spent more time, I'm sure I could come up with a larger list or better define these points:
  • BSD-style init with support for SysV init
  • no dependency resolution with stock distro
  • no official 3rd-party repos (although, SBo is endorsed by Pat)
  • all decisions rest with a single person
  • completely built using easily tweaked shell scripts (SlackBuilds)
  • only pure 64bit and 32bit versions -- multilib only offered by 3rd-party
  • desire for vanilla packaging preferring to provide as upstream intends, without patches or tweaking (can't always happen)
  • package management completely handled by shell scripts
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #392
Lockywolf
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 198

Rep: Reputation: 44
Well, I'd want to make a sort of 'complete reference' of Slackware specifics.

That is a list of:
  • Binaries
  • Initscripts
  • Edited config files
  • Directories
  • Packages
  • Informal things
  • Everything I have forgotten

I wouldn't really include the installer, because installing Linux is completely non-standard.

I believe, that would largely be just commenting the aaa_base, etc and aaa_elflibs line by line, but perhaps not just that.

Last edited by Lockywolf; 05-01-2019 at 11:46 PM.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #393
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Can the admin please unsubscribe me from the list ? I still get mails from the admin list and I've not been involved for years.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #394
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,959

Rep: Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharishankar View Post
Can the admin please unsubscribe me from the list ? I still get mails from the admin list and I've not been involved for years.
I don't know if admins will see this or if they have the ability to unsubscribe you without going in the database manually to edit it (I don't think I've had that ability with forums I've managed in the past).

If you go to the top of the thread, there is a "Thread Tools" button, click that and a little menu will pop up where you can then select "Unsubscribe from this Thread".
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #395
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I don't know if admins will see this or if they have the ability to unsubscribe you without going in the database manually to edit it (I don't think I've had that ability with forums I've managed in the past).

If you go to the top of the thread, there is a "Thread Tools" button, click that and a little menu will pop up where you can then select "Unsubscribe from this Thread".

No no I addressed this to the admin of the mailing list of slackdocs admin. not LQ.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #396
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,959

Rep: Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharishankar View Post
No no I addressed this to the admin of the mailing list of slackdocs admin. not LQ.
Sorry, it didn't seem that obvious to me at the time.

To unsubscribe from SlackDocs email list, go to this page and put your email in the lowest field, which allows you to unsubscribe or edit your options.

Or you should be able to send an email to slackdocs-leave@lists.alienbase.nl (it does not need a subject or any text in the body).

If it is a slightly different mailing list (since you included "admin", it might be), just tweak the addresses above to match the list name.

Last edited by bassmadrigal; 05-13-2019 at 10:35 AM.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #397
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Sorry, it didn't seem that obvious to me at the time.

To unsubscribe from SlackDocs email list, go to this page and put your email in the lowest field, which allows you to unsubscribe or edit your options.

Or you should be able to send an email to slackdocs-leave@lists.alienbase.nl (it does not need a subject or any text in the body).

Thanks . The first link leads to an insecure connection message on Firefox. Will send a message to the mailing list manager. Is the second mail the link to the admin list? Because I think I already unsubscribed from the user group earlier.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #398
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,757

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharishankar View Post
The first link leads to an insecure connection message on Firefox
https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/add...our-slackware/
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #399
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Hmm... it appears that my mail ID is no longer on the mailing list database, since I requested the password (I've forgotten it) and I didn't get any e-mail in response.
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #400
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,959

Rep: Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655Reputation: 3655
If you were a part of the slackdocs-admin mailing list, that is different from the standard slackdocs mailing list.

You should be able to verify what email it uses by looking at the headers of one of the messages. Then just use that email to send an email to slackdocs-admin-leave@lists.alienbase.nl
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #401
vtel57
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: VPN Tunnel, USA
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 939

Rep: Reputation: 117Reputation: 117
vharishankar...

If you do not remember your login/password for the Admin list, you'll probably have to contact Alien Bob (Eric Hameleers) to request that he manually remove you from the list.

eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #402
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtel57 View Post
vharishankar...

If you do not remember your login/password for the Admin list, you'll probably have to contact Alien Bob (Eric Hameleers) to request that he manually remove you from the list.

eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Thanks. I managed to unsubscribe with the email link.
 
Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #403
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
If you were a part of the slackdocs-admin mailing list, that is different from the standard slackdocs mailing list.

You should be able to verify what email it uses by looking at the headers of one of the messages. Then just use that email to send an email to slackdocs-admin-leave@lists.alienbase.nl
I managed to find the page and unsubscribed. Thanks for your help.
 
  


Reply

Tags
documentation, slackware


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux Documentation Project ask for Help jdd Linux - News 0 09-15-2008 01:37 AM
beginners documentation project? ichrispa LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 01-13-2006 05:19 AM
The Windows Documentation Project CoolAJ86 General 3 08-29-2005 08:05 PM
The Fedora Documentation Project the shadows Fedora 0 03-21-2004 11:01 PM
Documentation project paradoxlight General 1 10-16-2003 10:24 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration