LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
bvandonselaar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: Christmas Island
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Slackware current "error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.61"


Hi all,

I upgraded my Slackware64-current today and a couple of Qt applications won't launch anymore.
The error is
Code:
qbittorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.61: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
LibreOffice
Qdirstat
Qt designer, assistent, linquist etc.

also won't launch anymore. So did the newest current update broke something with Qt?
 
Old 10-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 1,884

Rep: Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079Reputation: 6079
Warned about in the ChangeLog. After an update to icu4c many out-of-tree packages will break until recompiled.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
bvandonselaar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: Christmas Island
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
Warned about in the ChangeLog. After an update to icu4c many out-of-tree packages will break until recompiled.
Thank you, i should have read it better. My fault!
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,485

Rep: Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223Reputation: 4223
Last I checked, Alien Bob's Lua package was another one. Took me forever to realize why MPV wasn't working until I realized that Lua was broken.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #5
tomtomjkw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 33
Yeah, that also affects Teamviewer, GUI does not start.
 
Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
chrisVV
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 391

Rep: Reputation: 204Reputation: 204Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjkw View Post
Yeah, that also affects Teamviewer, GUI does not start.
icu4c is a good library to have this problem with, because it allows programs to link against more than one version of the library. This is because by default it mangles its symbols with a major/minor version number, so avoiding symbol clashes between old and new versions. See http://userguide.icu-project.org/des...-Level-Library under the heading "Linking against multiple versions of ICU4C" if you are interested. (Most libraries do not allow programs to link against multiple versions of the library at the same time.)

So what you need to do is keep copies of libicudata.so.61, libicui18n.so.61, libicuio.so.61, libicutest.so.61, libicutu.so.61 and libicuuc.so.61 from icu4c-61.1-i586-2.txz or icu4c-61.1-x86_64-2.txz (discard the rest), and put them in a icu4c-compat package which contains the shared libraries for all the versions of icu4c that you have things linking against. That has worked for me: although I don't use KDE/plasma I do have gnucash installed which links against both my own webkit package and slackware's boost package, which in turn link against icu4c-61 and icu4c-63 respectively.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
tomtomjkw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 33
Thx, will try it. Now I'm halfway into recompiling qt5 with no guarantee of success; definitely not my preferred afternoon activity.
 
Old 10-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Chuck56
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 608

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisVV View Post
icu4c is a good library to have this problem with, because it allows programs to link against more than one version of the library. This is because by default it mangles its symbols with a major/minor version number, so avoiding symbol clashes between old and new versions. See http://userguide.icu-project.org/des...-Level-Library under the heading "Linking against multiple versions of ICU4C" if you are interested. (Most libraries do not allow programs to link against multiple versions of the library at the same time.)

So what you need to do is keep copies of libicudata.so.61, libicui18n.so.61, libicuio.so.61, libicutest.so.61, libicutu.so.61 and libicuuc.so.61 from icu4c-61.1-i586-2.txz or icu4c-61.1-x86_64-2.txz (discard the rest), and put them in a icu4c-compat package which contains the shared libraries for all the versions of icu4c that you have things linking against. That has worked for me: although I don't use KDE/plasma I do have gnucash installed which links against both my own webkit package and slackware's boost package, which in turn link against icu4c-61 and icu4c-63 respectively.
Thanks chrissVV! Learn something new every day!

I wanted to use alienbob's VLC package today for some video work and your guidance/reminder worked for me. I put together an x86_64 icu4c-compat package for those who might want to go this route until they get their packages rebuilt.

https://www.go4it2day.com/downloads/...-1_chuck56.tgz

md5sum: 232d91498b2ba37071fbed6e4d8e8da7

Enjoy!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
chrisVV
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 391

Rep: Reputation: 204Reputation: 204Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjkw View Post
Thx, will try it. Now I'm halfway into recompiling qt5 with no guarantee of success; definitely not my preferred afternoon activity.
By the way, if you want old versions of things this is a good resource: http://slackmirror.cbpf.br/pub/slack...nt/slackware64 (and the equivalent for slackware-current).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
USUARIONUEVO
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,372

Rep: Reputation: 425Reputation: 425Reputation: 425Reputation: 425Reputation: 425
Correct way , is donwload de *.slackbuild script and compile again your broken packages.

if the broken package are from alienb0b , as example "qbittorrent" , ...then..

-->>>>> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...torrent/build/

Or wait for new package.

Mantaining "old" versions of libs/packages are not the correct way.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] git busted in latest updates to Slackware current "error while loading shared libraries" khronosschoty Slackware 2 03-24-2018 09:52 PM
[SOLVED] roxterm: "error while loading shared libraries: libvte.so.9" after update ag33k Slackware - ARM 4 05-15-2017 04:54 AM
[SOLVED] At run time get: "Error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1:" firani Linux - Newbie 1 06-14-2010 01:05 PM
[SOLVED] XFburn, Slackware 13 64bit, "error while loading shared libraries: libburn.so.4" fearfactory Linux - Software 1 05-16-2010 08:30 PM
Did something get installed wrong? "error while loading shared libraries" Romanus81 Slackware 4 03-28-2008 11:11 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration