LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #241
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,240

Rep: Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932Reputation: 4932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
Not having time? Sorry, but that's nothing more than an excuse if you ask me. If you don't have time, you make time.
So, do you have time to make your own car, house, clothes? How about your motherboard, hard drives or monitor? Why don't you make time so you can do those?

Truth is, we don't have time to do everything, which is why we have a society where we do what we can, but we also have to rely on others. There's an interesting video where someone took the time to literally make his own sandwich. It cost him $1500 and took six months. How to Make a $1500 Sandwich in Only 6 Months The fact is, someone took the time to develop and build the initial Linux kernel. Someone took the time to develop the GNU utilities. Someone took the time to learn how to put these all together and form distributions. We don't all have the time to code this from scratch, or to package it all up. Telling people to learn how a slackbuild works is trivial. Telling someone to replace half of their core packages with PAM enabled packages and then tell them to keep up with all the security updates (and in your opinion, they should be willing to make packages available so others can use slackpkg+ to install them because they don't have to make time to do it themselves) is a major undertaking, and I think you can guess how many people have actually attempted it.

Are you seeing your hypocrisy?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #242
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,901

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you don't have time then install a distro that doesn't expect you to take responsibility for your own os, like ubuntu. It has pam!
 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #243
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 9,431

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
I administrate my own systems, 1 server and 1 laptop, and I have my own packages I use on my system that are different from the defaults used by Slackware. What I publish on SlackWorks is a derivative of my work I make public. As far as users I have four.
So you have absolutely no idea of the needs and constraints of people who administrate hundreds of servers and users. Thanks for confirming my assumption.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 10-13-2015 at 10:46 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #244
saulgoode
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 288

Rep: Reputation: 155Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Telling someone to replace half of their core packages with PAM enabled packages and then tell them to keep up with all the security updates (and in your opinion, they should be willing to make packages available so others can use slackpkg+ to install them because they don't have to make time to do it themselves) is a major undertaking, and I think you can guess how many people have actually attempted it.
Ooh, I shouldn't want to tell someone that (especially if that someone is Patrick Volkerding).
 
Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #245
ReaperX7
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
So, do you have time to make your own car, house, clothes? How about your motherboard, hard drives or monitor? Why don't you make time so you can do those?

Truth is, we don't have time to do everything, which is why we have a society where we do what we can, but we also have to rely on others. There's an interesting video where someone took the time to literally make his own sandwich. It cost him $1500 and took six months. How to Make a $1500 Sandwich in Only 6 Months The fact is, someone took the time to develop and build the initial Linux kernel. Someone took the time to develop the GNU utilities. Someone took the time to learn how to put these all together and form distributions. We don't all have the time to code this from scratch, or to package it all up. Telling people to learn how a slackbuild works is trivial. Telling someone to replace half of their core packages with PAM enabled packages and then tell them to keep up with all the security updates (and in your opinion, they should be willing to make packages available so others can use slackpkg+ to install them because they don't have to make time to do it themselves) is a major undertaking, and I think you can guess how many people have actually attempted it.

Are you seeing your hypocrisy?
No, I see an empty argument trying to compare apples to lettuce. Of course you can't make everything, and what kind of nitwit would believe that? However, when it comes to learning and education, you have to make time and develop your skill set, or you don't. There's no excuse for lack of education and learning. Hypocrisy? Please...

Last edited by ReaperX7; 10-14-2015 at 12:32 AM.
 
Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #246
a4z
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,727

Rep: Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
If you don't have time then install a distro that doesn't expect you to take responsibility for your own os, like ubuntu. It has pam!
in certain environments you have to do this, thanks to the lack of PAM in Slackware, and it's a pity.
But you have explained already that you have no clue what kind of environments that are and that you never had to deal with this situation.
so if you do not run Slackware in an environment that needs central authentication, than please stop sharing you expert knowledge, you just produce a painful impression by telling others what they should do.
 
Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 AM   #247
a4z
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,727

Rep: Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
No, I see an empty argument trying to compare apples to lettuce. Of course you can't make everything, and what kind of nitwit would believe that? However, when it comes to learning and education, you have to make time and develop your skill set, or you don't. There's no excuse for lack of education and learning. Hypocrisy? Please...
so why do you not follow your own advice and learn something. deal with a environment that's a bit more than your mini home setup, and show use how you deal with network, users and apps that need central authentication, so that we can see you talk from something practical.
A , you do not do this with Slackware at the moment, hmmmmmm
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #248
ReaperX7
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4z View Post
in certain environments you have to do this, thanks to the lack of PAM in Slackware, and it's a pity.
But you have explained already that you have no clue what kind of environments that are and that you never had to deal with this situation.
so if you do not run Slackware in an environment that needs central authentication, than please stop sharing you expert knowledge, you just produce a painful impression by telling others what they should do.
PAM is not going to make Slackware a corporate level operating system by itself. Slackware still doesn't have SELinux and various hardening and other security patches required for a corporate environment. There is no pity here to be had.
 
Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #249
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: CentOS, OpenSUSE
Posts: 3,441

Rep: Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
If you don't have time then install a distro that doesn't expect you to take responsibility for your own os, like ubuntu. It has pam!
Here's for "taking responsibility for my own OS". I'm running a business based 100 % on Slackware. My own third-party package repository for servers and desktops currently counts more than 600 packages. I've written hundreds of pages of Slackware-specific documentation. And I'm maintaining a couple hundred machines (LAN servers, public servers, desktop clients, workstations) for clients here in South France.

So please stop the "PAM proponent = lazy n00b" nonsense.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #250
ReaperX7
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
It's not simply:

PAM proponent = lazy n00bz

It's actually:

PAM proponent thinking PAM is magic package to cure all ailments without looking at lack of security patches and hardening, but refuses to do work thinking others will do it for them if they cry long enough about it = lazy n00bz

I've been watching you work Kiki and honestly it's commendable. It's developers like you who found the time to learn, refused to be lazy, and gave back to the community that do things the right way. If only more people...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #251
chris.willing
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Slackware,LFS
Posts: 635

Rep: Reputation: 399Reputation: 399Reputation: 399Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
If you don't have time then install a distro that doesn't expect you to take responsibility for your own os, like ubuntu. It has pam!
This is a sad statement at a couple of levels, in particular the suggestion that people who aren't satisfied with the way things are should get out i.e. suggestions for improvement not welcome here. What if I wanted to include zathura as a pdf reader; would you dismiss the suggestion and recommend I install another distro that already has it?

chris
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #252
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: CentOS, OpenSUSE
Posts: 3,441

Rep: Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
PAM is not going to make Slackware a corporate level operating system by itself. Slackware still doesn't have SELinux and various hardening and other security patches required for a corporate environment. There is no pity here to be had.
Looks like Caitlyn Martin hacked ReaperX7's account.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:49 AM   #253
a4z
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,727

Rep: Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
It's actually:

PAM proponent thinking PAM is magic package to cure all ailments without looking at lack of security patches and hardening, but refuses to do work thinking others will do it for them if they cry long enough about it = lazy n00bz
those who would need PAM are talking about central authentication, not more, not less, to solve one thing, only you made a bridge between PAM and the rest you are talking about.
 
Old 10-14-2015, 04:00 AM   #254
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,083

Rep: Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879Reputation: 6879
Really, why don't you just stop feeding the trolls. This thread should be given its on soap series on FOX.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #255
ReaperX7
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Naw we'd all end up on Megyn Kelly's show... God forbid.

Wait a tick... Who the hell is Caitlyn Martin???

Last edited by ReaperX7; 10-14-2015 at 05:38 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAM and Slackware 10.2 darkarcon2015 Slackware 15 10-20-2007 02:32 PM
PAM Available For Slackware 10.0 eric.r.turner Slackware 14 09-22-2006 12:08 PM
PAM for my Slackware rmg Linux - Newbie 3 04-06-2006 01:10 PM
does slackware 10 support PAM? joroxx Slackware - Installation 2 11-16-2004 12:06 AM
pam mount in slackware 10 qwijibow Linux - Software 1 08-06-2004 08:37 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration