LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #76
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 2,164
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445Reputation: 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
It could be useful to express your thoughts clearer.
Anyway I'm starting to think your comments in this forum are no more useful nor helpful.

Even ialexand managed to do it. After 80 posts or so, true, but you have much more.
My comments currently aren't very useful, no. But it's nice to see Slackware 15.0 firmly on the way. And even though at the moment I only run Slackware on a couple of older machines, and though I have whinged a bit of late, I'm excited for the community.

Last edited by Lysander666; 04-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #77
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 2,217
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
People who should be reported are mods modding this forum. For statement "Stop whining" I was rewarded infraction points by Jeremy. Comparing to some post of ialexand mine was rather innocent. Seems kind of double standards here on LQ. Or maybe it is some fun for bored mods?

Last edited by igadoter; 04-14-2021 at 12:05 PM.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #78
ialexand
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFracture View Post
If this is critical and you feel it needs more discussion have you made a dedicated thread for it? If not why?

The 'requests' thread is gigantic, I'm pretty sure things get missed all the time..

Surely you must understand why it's grating when you come in here with a new user account complaining about how terrible everything is and only JUST NOW give an example of your grievances, which I am not unsympathetic towards..
There are more examples. I stated just one of them.

PV and people who are involved in the Slackware development read that thread. I repeated that post twice.

They just think that it's ok if you cannot boot into the system after creating root snapshot on encrypted LVM. It's about core system, not about plasma, right?

I'm sick of having -current, keeping local patches and slackbuilds for newer software. F..k this game!

Last edited by ialexand; 04-14-2021 at 01:02 PM.
 
Old 04-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #79
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,497

Rep: Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
Not a problem. I had two accounts. The oldest one I forgot (I'm too lazy to search for it), here is from another one. Just one example of how much f..k is given to critical bugs:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6141062
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6150198

Serious bug is still there. Who needs LVM snapshots on encrypted LUKS, right? Buggy plasma slowing down releases is more important than basic functionality.
Yes, valid report(s) both from July 2020, in the meantime though that thread generated 100 more pages. You can not accept that some reports fall through the cracks then I understand, but you can simply re-post them if they bother you. No need to create another account to start abrasive and offensive troll talk here. That is definitely not helping in getting bugs resolved.
Bogus threads and posts still need to be read by the developer group to understand what's happening and that's time lost on fixing real stuff.
And you can stop hiding your swear words from the mods, by now I really understand that your aim is to insult, not to assist.
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #80
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,436

Rep: Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
No, it's better to report it directly to nVidia.
Nope, KDE is who they need to report it. A second place to report would be nouveau. https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/Bugs.html
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #81
ialexand
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Yes, valid report(s) both from July 2020, in the meantime though that thread generated 100 more pages. You can not accept that some reports fall through the cracks then I understand, but you can simply re-post them if they bother you. No need to create another account to start abrasive and offensive troll talk here. That is definitely not helping in getting bugs resolved.
Bogus threads and posts still need to be read by the developer group to understand what's happening and that's time lost on fixing real stuff.
And you can stop hiding your swear words from the mods, by now I really understand that your aim is to insult, not to assist.
Dear AlienBob, if to look at the history of your posts, you are in the top 10 biggest insulting users of this forum.

P.S. please add bash-completion to your livecd and set default time zone to UTC.

Last edited by ialexand; 04-14-2021 at 02:46 PM.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #82
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,260

Rep: Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
Not a problem. I had two accounts. The oldest one I forgot (I'm too lazy to search for it), here is from another one. Just one example of how much f..k is given to critical bugs:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6141062
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6150198

Serious bug is still there. Who needs LVM snapshots on encrypted LUKS, right? Buggy plasma slowing down releases is more important than basic functionality.
I get that this bug is a big deal leading to your system not booting, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure it is super easy to fix as a user without even modifying mkinitrd. You simply add dm-snapshot to the -m option in your mkinitrd command or to your MODULE_LIST variable in /etc/mkinitrd.conf

Yes, it should probably be fixed, but what good is complaining about Plasma5 going to do to get this bug fixed? This is a simple edit of a text file and as Alien mentioned, it probably got missed. There's a lot of posts in that thread and it can be hard to stay on top of all of them. I've had fixes I've reported get missed as well. Then I just report them again after a month or two.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #83
ialexand
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I get that this bug is a big deal leading to your system not booting, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure it is super easy to fix as a user without even modifying mkinitrd. You simply add dm-snapshot to the -m option in your mkinitrd command or to your MODULE_LIST variable in /etc/mkinitrd.conf

Yes, it should probably be fixed, but what good is complaining about Plasma5 going to do to get this bug fixed? This is a simple edit of a text file and as Alien mentioned, it probably got missed. There's a lot of posts in that thread and it can be hard to stay on top of all of them. I've had fixes I've reported get missed as well. Then I just report them again after a month or two.
That's what I used to do. I was locally patching mkinitrd though.

The question: why is the distribution needed if you can do everything on your own?

It is a bad excuse that you could do a workaround on something.

Last edited by ialexand; 04-14-2021 at 02:59 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #84
ialexand
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I get that this bug is a big deal leading to your system not booting, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure it is super easy to fix as a user without even modifying mkinitrd. You simply add dm-snapshot to the -m option in your mkinitrd command or to your MODULE_LIST variable in /etc/mkinitrd.conf
Just imagine. You have a system with LUKS + LVM, initramfs is updated. You then create a snapshot and cannot boot. Do you really think it is ok? Oh, yes, workarounds... booting from livecd and fixing it. That's what regular user expects. Surprises.

Last edited by ialexand; 04-14-2021 at 03:09 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #85
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 477
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 301Reputation: 301Reputation: 301Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
That's what I used to do. I was locally patching mkinitrd though.

The question: why is the distribution needed if you can do everything on your own?

It is a bad excuse that you could do a workaround on something.
The irony here hasn't escaped me. The story I've read over and over is, Patrick made a ton of patches for a Linux distribution, and was ignored (more or less), and eventually forked that distro. Only, I don't recall anywhere, in any variation of the story, Pat going on a flame fest.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #86
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,670

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920Reputation: 2920
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
The irony here hasn't escaped me. The story I've read over and over is, Patrick made a ton of patches for a Linux distribution, and was ignored (more or less), and eventually forked that distro. Only, I don't recall anywhere, in any variation of the story, Pat going on a flame fest.
Indeed! I've had the pleasure of running Slackware since 2004(version 10.0). Like you it has been my experience that Mr. Volkerding is a class act. He has more important things to do than flame people. I'm very grateful for 15.0 Beta 1.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #87
ialexand
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
The irony here hasn't escaped me. The story I've read over and over is, Patrick made a ton of patches for a Linux distribution, and was ignored (more or less), and eventually forked that distro. Only, I don't recall anywhere, in any variation of the story, Pat going on a flame fest.
You compare too different time frames.
 
Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #88
sorinm
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: RO
Distribution: Slackware64-current/Debian 10
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 33
I don`t want to sound too emotional but Slackware was the seed of all my knowledge in Linux/Sysadmin/Networking. I was only 16 when I played with slackware 8 and used it as a router (P1 133 MHz) for my small neighborhood ISP. All of my knowledge derives from Slackware. I learned a lot from it. If you can work with Slackware, you can work with every distro and of course, BSD. So..yes. Thank you Patrick for giving me a start in my IT career.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #89
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,497

Rep: Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871Reputation: 7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
Dear AlienBob, if to look at the history of your posts, you are in the top 10 biggest insulting users of this forum.

P.S. please add bash-completion to your livecd and set default time zone to UTC.
This is not going to help getting a request fulfilled by me sorry. Hit the dog with a stick, then give him a sausage. You really need to work on your sales pitch. Not gonna work here. Move on.
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #90
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 477
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 301Reputation: 301Reputation: 301Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialexand View Post
You compare too different time frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=x86_64
a/mkinitrd-1.4.11-x86_64-22.txz: Rebuilt.
When / is on LVM, include the dm-snapshot module. Thanks to I.G.O.R.
Well your fix finally landed in current

Last edited by khronosschoty; 04-14-2021 at 04:03 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Firefox 3 beta 4 code freeze tonight, beta 5 release looks likely LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-28-2008 11:20 AM
LXer: This week at LWN: GPLv3 beta 2 and LGPLv3 beta 1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-05-2006 01:54 AM
LXer: Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate Builds Available, Final Beta 1 Set for Later This Week LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-13-2006 02:54 AM
Vista beta vs. "Linux beta" Furlinastis General 5 05-30-2006 09:02 AM
Beta testing Beta 8 -- Boot Loader screws up 1kyle SUSE / openSUSE 0 03-27-2006 03:36 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration