LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
bartgymnast
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Distribution: slack 7.1 till latest and -current, LFS
Posts: 335

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
slackware-14 xorg-1.12.4 bug


Hi All,

and Important bug that I would like to see resolved is the following. (it can crash applications in gtk+ window managers)

Please see attached file for fix.

Author: Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>
Date: Fri Sep 7 18:30:23 2012 +0100

Touch: Fix duplicate TouchBegin selection with virtual devices

Given the following scenario:
1) client A selects for TouchBegin on window W for device D
2) client B selects for TouchBegin on window W for XIAllDevices
3) client C selects for TouchBegin on window W with device E

Step 3 will fail with BadImplementation, because attempting to look up
XIAllDevices or XIAllMasterDevices with dixLookupDevices doesn't work.
This should succeed (or, if it was selecting for device D, fail with
BadAccess as it would be a duplicate selection).

Fix this by performing the appropriate lookup for virtual devices.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xiselectev.txt (1.4 KB, 31 views)
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,707

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The fix is called "upgrade to Slackware 14.1 when that is released".
Slackware patches which are released for the stable releases are only for critical security bugs, not for application crashes.

Eric
 
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
saxa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 18
I would like to see you say the same when this would affect Krita or any other KDE app.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,707

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxa View Post
I would like to see you say the same when this would affect Krita or any other KDE app.
I do not maintain and release Slackware - I only maintain and release stuff I like to have on top of Slackware. If you are hinting at my KDE update packages for Slackware 14, I release those because I use those packages. Please check the official Slackware 14 tree - do you see an updated KDE there? NO! Because the official Slackware tree only receives security updates.
I really do not know what the point of your remark was.

Eric
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
saxa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 18
Dear Eric, I know perfectly who you are and what you do for slackware, and I'm thankful to you for all your work. But saying that something that makes applications crash is not something important, and force somebody to wait with the crashing application that some
"vaporware" will be released is an absurd. Vaporware I call it because nobody can know when this release will happen except the owner of the work. One day it will be here. But you know if you use your computers for something like a business you for sure wont be upgrading something all the time.

the point of my remark is that some kind of bug which is not an security issue makes crash a lot of applications in gnome. And
therefore would be really nice to have this fixed in some way. Bart was reporting this as we all who use gnome would be very thankful to see this in slackware fixed, since you are not the maintainer but are stating something that you have not power to change also your
arguing here is pointless.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
saxa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 18
PS: I'm building one of the gnome DE and using it and is not included in slackware.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Philip Lacroix
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Distribution: Slackware{,-current}
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxa View Post
saying that something that makes applications crash is not something important, and force somebody to wait with the crashing application that some "vaporware" will be released is an absurd. Vaporware I call it because nobody can know when this release will happen except the owner of the work.
I started using Slackware with release 13.37, so I'm not a long time slacker. However, it is fairly clear to me that a distribution maintained by one man with the help of few core team developers has to be very careful when deciding which software is going to be included, and which will not. The OP is referring to some "gtk+ window managers" and according to your remark we're talking about Gnome:

Quote:
the point of my remark is that some kind of bug which is not an security issue makes crash a lot of applications in gnome. And therefore would be really nice to have this fixed in some way. Bart was reporting this as we all who use gnome would be very thankful to see this in slackware fixed
Gnome is not included in the official Slackware release, therefore it's not officially supported -- for mere practical and very transparent reasons: there's no "vapor" here, I think. When I install software that is not included, I know that if something screws up I can't expect official patches and support: I cannot come along and say, "Please fix this". Besides, if you want a business and production workstation I guess you'd better not rely on third-party packages, unless you know what you're doing and how to fix things yourself if they brake.

By the way, gtk+ based Xfce is running fine here with Xorg 1.12.4, and no application is crashing.

Philip

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 06-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,707

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxa View Post
Vaporware I call it because nobody can know when this release will happen except the owner of the work. One day it will be here. But you know if you use your computers for something like a business you for sure wont be upgrading something all the time.
Why are you using Slackware at all? It is the old Dropline Gnome hate speak all over again, just with someone else's voice than Dagmar.

Quote:
the point of my remark is that some kind of bug which is not an security issue makes crash a lot of applications in gnome. And
therefore would be really nice to have this fixed in some way. Bart was reporting this as we all who use gnome would be very thankful to see this in slackware fixed, since you are not the maintainer but are stating something that you have not power to change also your
arguing here is pointless.
I do not know if you realize it, but in the set of packages I release as "KDE 4.10.4 for Slackware 14" there's actually 12 packages which have been rebuilt or upgraded with regard to the originals in Slackware 14. There is no rule that no Slackware package must be changed, and I see no reason why your project could not just patch the X.Org package which makes your GNOME crash and add it to your release?

Eric
 
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 890

Rep: Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948
There's also no rule that a Slackware package can't be patched in a stable release for a non-security reason. In fact, there a a few examples of this in the 14.0 patches, such as the updated make package. However, in this case it is important to read the entire thread (since only the patch itself was included in the OP):

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/033588.html

In particular, Peter Hutterer says that this patch introduces "definitely wrong behaviour". It may fix the issues that GNOME is experiencing, but again, it seems that these are due less to a bug in X than from incorrect use of a protocol. The patch was called dangerous by someone else, in that it may introduce a race condition where whether things work or not depends on the order in which requests reach the server.

I've looked at what was shipped, and what is shipped in -current. The code in question was in the server shipped with 14.0, so it can't be considered a regression introduced by the server upgrade in /patches. The patch is not applied to the server that's in -current, in spite of having been on the mailing list quite a long time before that. The code in the 1.14.1 server in /testing seems to be quite different, so perhaps the issue is fixed there, but if so the solution was not this patch.

Anyway, patching this isn't out of the question, but it's not easy to say whether this fix would be entirely safe. It could cause side effects elsewhere. Are the issues also happening in -current? If so, it's possible that the patch could be ported to -current with a little work (it doesn't apply cleanly), and then if it tests out there with no noticeable problems it could be considered as a patch for stable Slackware 14.0.

Last edited by volkerdi; 06-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
bartgymnast
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Distribution: slack 7.1 till latest and -current, LFS
Posts: 335

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Hi pat,

It will take me some time to test this on against -current.
but will inform you if the bug is also there.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
bartgymnast
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Distribution: slack 7.1 till latest and -current, LFS
Posts: 335

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Why are you using Slackware at all? It is the old Dropline Gnome hate speak all over again, just with someone else's voice than Dagmar.


I do not know if you realize it, but in the set of packages I release as "KDE 4.10.4 for Slackware 14" there's actually 12 packages which have been rebuilt or upgraded with regard to the originals in Slackware 14. There is no rule that no Slackware package must be changed, and I see no reason why your project could not just patch the X.Org package which makes your GNOME crash and add it to your release?

Eric
eric, we are currently patching the xorg package, and it fixes the problem.
However, we are trying to minimalize the amount of slackware original packages to be replaced.
for the xorg server, it is a problem that can occur with not just gnome. its a problem with all gtk+ DE's
Therefor I made this bug report.

I am now building our gnome against -current (which we dont do/release normal)
if it is indeed fixed already in -current than I understand that it will not be fixed in 14.0

and offcourse everyone is free to build whatever they want on top of slackware.
I guess that if you do a KDE update and something breaks, and you see a problem with a stock slackware package, that you also submit a bug report.

If that bug gets fixed in slackware than it helps also others
 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
BrZ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 516

Rep: Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartgymnast View Post
Hi pat,

It will take me some time to test this on against -current.
but will inform you if the bug is also there.
Hi bart, take easy with xorg. I think that soon we'll have another round of updates based on this announce.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
saxa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Why are you using Slackware at all? It is the old Dropline Gnome hate speak all over again, just with someone else's voice than Dagmar.
Definetly I`m using slackware because i like it, and because i`m used to it. There is no Dropline GNOME hate speak at all, do not worry. Dropline GNOME has up to today released always a well done gnome desktop. So one of the reasons to claim about this is because you (the slackware dev team) has never much cared about gnome, not
Dropline GNOME , but gnome. My talk about the patch was exclusively because of your phrase "Slackware patches which are released for the stable releases are only for critical security bugs, not for application crashes." which I found completely wrong, which now you alone stating that is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I do not know if you realize it, but in the set of packages I release as "KDE 4.10.4 for Slackware 14" there's actually 12 packages which have been rebuilt or upgraded with regard to the originals in Slackware 14. There is no rule that no Slackware package must be changed, and I see no reason why your project could not just patch the X.Org package which makes your GNOME crash and add it to your release?

Eric
Definetly we will ship an xorg-server patched to fix this.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
saxa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 18
Also if you see the OP is not asking to patch the xorg, but its advising that there is a bug which makes some (quite a lot) applications in gnome crash, and therefore my vision is that of course before going to include it , if ever, its needed good checking.

And yes, this seems to affect only 1.12.x series of xorg-server.

Last edited by saxa; 06-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
 
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
bartgymnast
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Distribution: slack 7.1 till latest and -current, LFS
Posts: 335

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Hi pat.

It seems that this bug is fixed in -current.
However, I did however found some missing things on the Mesa package.
I needed to recompile Mesa with the following options added:

--with-gallium-drivers=nouveau,r300,r600,svga \
--enable-xa \

I needed this to get hardware acceleration/3d support for my vmware.
in Mesa 8.0.x the --enable-xa was standard enabled, but in 9.x it is standard disabled.

Also please note that the patch I included for xorg-server for 14.0 is a little different than what was posted on the mailing list.
The changes on the mailing list did not solve the issue and an additional fix needed to be supplied. (the patch I included)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] [Xorg-1.7.5 in Slackware64 -current] still no workie.. Xorg bug? GrapefruiTgirl Slackware 94 07-28-2010 08:23 AM
[SOLVED] xorg.conf configuration bug dracuss Debian 2 10-23-2009 05:00 AM
Is bug in xorg 1:7.3+18 or kdetv 0.8.9-1 rbees Linux - Software 0 01-22-2009 05:08 PM
Sid Users - Beware of Xorg 7.3 (xserver-xorg-input-evdev) bug rickh Debian 4 10-24-2007 03:30 AM
Bug in Xorg 6.9 ? umgambit Mandriva 5 12-16-2005 07:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration