LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #121
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,610

Rep: Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860
Talking


Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Hey Rob,

XFce 4.6.1 is rock-steady for me on Slackware 13.1; I'm using Fluxbox on my oldest Slackware box. XFce has enough functionality that it may be worth a look for you.

hitest
Thanks Hitest. I must say that I am highly impressed by XFCE 4.6.1 so far. I'm currently stress testing it, and it's doing very well. There are many more positives than negatives. I love the simplicity of not having to run sound servers, etc.

One thing I haven't figured out yet: Is there a way to 'copy' items from the menu onto the desktop?

Cheers,

Rob
 
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #122
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 6,356

Rep: Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
One thing I haven't figured out yet: Is there a way to 'copy' items from the menu onto the desktop?
Hi Rob,

You can create a launcher item on your desktop for any application, for example, shisen-sho. Take your mouse and right-click anywhere on the XFce desktop, click on create launcher, type in the pathway, etc. to the application /usr/bin/kshisen.
 
Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #123
slackbat
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14.2_64_multilib - freebsd - devuan
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
ALSA is also driving me over the edge. The problem is either this version of ALSA, udev, or some combination.
I have had to create an extra file alsa-base - that alsa complains or warns that it will not be available in the next release of alsa in bootup messages - in /etc/modprobe.d. That seems to have fixed the alsa problem.

The cups and epson printer problem was to do with their being a bug in ghostscript-8.71 that has bitten other people with other printers. Fixed this by downgrading ghostscript to 8.70 from slackware 13.

Now I have just got to figure out how to get rid of the occasional artifact on the screen and all will be fine - I hope.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #124
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbat View Post
I have had to create an extra file alsa-base - that alsa complains or warns that it will not be available in the next release of alsa in bootup messages - in /etc/modprobe.d. That seems to have fixed the alsa problem.

The cups and epson printer problem was to do with their being a bug in ghostscript-8.71 that has bitten other people with other printers. Fixed this by downgrading ghostscript to 8.70 from slackware 13.

Now I have just got to figure out how to get rid of the occasional artifact on the screen and all will be fine - I hope.
I've been using sound.conf in /etc/modprobe.d for awhile instead of alsa-base.conf without incident until upgrading to Slackware64 13.1. Based on your suggestion, I created a symbolic link from sound.conf to alsa-base.conf. I'll have to watch things closely as this system is acting downright flaky.

Furthermore, I receive these errors when attempting to use my Hauppauge IR remote with 2.6.34 kernel when the remote used to work just fine prior to upgrading to 13.1. The remote is coupled to an old WinTV USB2 adapter which uses the em28xx driver. I can't even use the remote with MythTV because of it.

i2c IR (i2c IR (EM2820 Winfast : unknown key for scancode blah blah blah

The ir_kbd_i2c driver is recognizing the key press, but can't determine the key ... Too exhausted at this point.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 06-01-2010 at 05:04 AM.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #125
arubin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Middx UK
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 (multilib)
Posts: 1,239

Rep: Reputation: 59
I think I will probably sticking with 13.0. I am using it with kde 4.3.1 which is better than the kde it came with. I have installed 13.1 on another partition and for me, personally, having tried 13.1 I cannot see any reason to switch to it. 13.0 is working very well for me. I have found some rather odd behaviour in kde under 13.1 and no compelling reason to upgrade.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #126
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 6,356

Rep: Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbat View Post
I have had to create an extra file alsa-base - that alsa complains or warns that it will not be available in the next release of alsa in bootup messages - in /etc/modprobe.d. That seems to have fixed the alsa problem.
Yeah, when I went into /etc/modprobe.d I saw that there was a sound file, but, not a sound.conf file. I saved the sound file as sound.conf then re-ran alsaconf, saved my settings and that annoying start-up alsa warning is gone.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #127
slackbat
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14.2_64_multilib - freebsd - devuan
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Yeah, when I went into /etc/modprobe.d I saw that there was a sound file, but, not a sound.conf file. I saved the sound file as sound.conf then re-ran alsaconf, saved my settings and that annoying start-up alsa warning is gone.

Yes I got a chance to read the message properly. Its any file that does not end in .conf in /etc/modprobe.d will be ignored in future versions.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #128
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Rep: Reputation: 28
The PWC driver apparently hangs and causes my motion detection system (motion.sf.net) driven by motion to cause a kernel oops. Since zoneminder and wxcam also hang when attempting to use the pwc driver, I suspect the root cause is the pwc driver itself. Hopefully, 2.6.34.1 will cure this problem....

INFO: task motion:2729 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
motion D 000000010012bf20 0 2729 1 0x00000000
ffff88003d5d7d78 0000000000000086 0000000000000000 ffffffff00000000
0000000000013880 0000000000013880 ffff88003d5d7fd8 ffff88003d5d7fd8
ffff8800416f70a0 0000000000013880 ffff88003d5d7fd8 0000000000013880
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff8148c79f>] __mutex_lock_slowpath+0xef/0x180
[<ffffffff8148c68b>] mutex_lock+0x2b/0x50
[<ffffffffa0663849>] pwc_video_ioctl+0x59/0xb0 [pwc]
[<ffffffffa02b918d>] v4l2_ioctl+0x3d/0x40 [videodev]
[<ffffffff81114f3f>] vfs_ioctl+0x9f/0xd0
[<ffffffff8111551a>] do_vfs_ioctl+0x8a/0x5b0
[<ffffffff81105652>] ? vfs_write+0x132/0x1a0
[<ffffffff81115ac1>] sys_ioctl+0x81/0xa0
[<ffffffff810028f2>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

Last edited by tpreitzel; 06-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #129
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,134

Rep: Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994Reputation: 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
The PWC driver apparently hangs and causes my motion detection system (motion.sf.net) driven by motion to cause a kernel oops. Since zoneminder and wxcam also hang when attempting to use the pwc driver, I suspect the root cause is the pwc driver itself. Hopefully, 2.6.34.1 will cure this problem....
Talking about your issues with a custom 2.6.34 kernel is not really a "Slackware 13.1 - first impression" anymore. Perhaps you should open a new thread for the discussion about the pwc driver crashes. Surely more people will run into that.

Welcome back from the bw64 camp :-)

Eric
 
Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #130
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Talking about your issues with a custom 2.6.34 kernel is not really a "Slackware 13.1 - first impression" anymore. Perhaps you should open a new thread for the discussion about the pwc driver crashes. Surely more people will run into that.

Welcome back from the bw64 camp :-)

Eric
Actually, Eric, I have the same issues with the stock kernel of 13.1 as I originally indicated earlier in this thread. I'm still using BW64 alongside Slackware64 as I identify the problems of SW64 13.1, but I'll explicitly rerun lilo on the stock kernel before posting further observations in this thread.

Thanks for the unconditional and hearty welcome.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #131
slkrover
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: Current-64
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: 16
First impression. Beautiful. Just what I wanted.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #132
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,610

Rep: Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
You can create a launcher item on your desktop for any application, for example, shisen-sho. Take your mouse and right-click anywhere on the XFce desktop, click on create launcher, type in the pathway, etc. to the application /usr/bin/kshisen.
Hey hitest, I've found that if you enter the name of a new launcher exactly as it appears in the menu, it pre-populates all of the fields and in most cases chooses the correct icon too.

UPDATE: On Tuesday night, I re-installed Slack 13.1 onto my spare partition after having cleared it. This time, I thought I'd try a little experiment. At the series selection screen, after making sure that everything else was selected, I "unselected" KDE. The KDEI series was "pre-unselected" so I left it as it was. Then I ran the "full installation".

So now I have Slackware 13.1 without KDE. No libraries, no Konsole, no Konqueror, none of it. I didn't think it could stay this way for long. I labelled this an 'experiment' because I expected that I'd go running back to KDE, but boy was I wrong.

Let's get this out of the way: It was a bit disappointing to see how, ummm... ugly (unfortunately, there is no other way to say it ) xdm is out of the box. Fortunately, a bit of Googling yielded an easily tweakable xdm theme from Arch Linux, which I downloaded and tweaked.

Apart from that minor disappoinment, I've found that XFCE is really an excellent choice for anyone 'migrating' from KDE 3.5. It may not have all of the features, but it's probably 80% of the way there. I'm still adding things as requirements arise, but so far there has been a SlackBuild script for everything I've needed to add. You don't have to worry about HAL playing nicely with XFCE. It does. And it does it without the annoyingly overloaded "what should I do?" dialog boxes. Hardware detection has come a long way. USB devices which weren't even recognised under Slack 12.0 now work without a hitch.

Under the hood, it's old school Slack all the way. XFCE is just the cherry on the cake.

This is my desktop. It feels like home. The lean, mean fightin' machine that was the Slackware of old is back baby! And I love it.
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #133
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 6,356

Rep: Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598Reputation: 2598
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post

Under the hood, it's old school Slack all the way. XFCE is just the cherry on the cake.

This is my desktop. It feels like home. The lean, mean fightin' machine that was the Slackware of old is back baby! And I love it.
I'm happy to hear you love XFce, rkelson. I love it as well.
Cool about the launcher icon populating itself. Very nice! Thanks for that.

Last edited by hitest; 06-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
 
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #134
Ilgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2, Slackwarearm-current
Posts: 1,008

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Let's get this out of the way: It was a bit disappointing to see how, ummm... ugly (unfortunately, there is no other way to say it ) xdm is out of the box. Fortunately, a bit of Googling yielded an easily tweakable xdm theme from Arch Linux, which I downloaded and tweaked.
You can easily install gdm from slackbuilds.org (using sbopkg, for example). Slackware still defaults to gdm when it exits, so you don't need to change anything in the rc scripts.
 
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #135
michaelinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: El Salvador
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 166

Rep: Reputation: 17
i believe this release brought the best of kde, even when slackware has always been known by it's stability this time i can tell kde runs faster i don't know if everybody feels the same way but for me it is. although i don't use it that much, i prefer fluxbox.

it is my favorite distro and i don't see the reason why use other distro
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware - First impressions Gerard Lally Slackware 7 09-23-2009 03:52 AM
[SOLVED] My first Slackware 13 RC1 impressions - Need some Help Iwantslack Slackware 9 08-29-2009 12:08 PM
first impressions of slackware-10 sucky ! please help ! qwijibow Slackware 16 06-29-2004 01:13 AM
Early impressions of Slackware 8.1? masinick Slackware 16 07-16-2002 09:56 AM
Slackware: First impressions. magis Linux - General 4 02-20-2002 08:28 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration