-   Slackware (
-   -   slackware 13.0 dualboot problem (

pixel01 09-25-2009 04:02 PM

slackware 13.0 dualboot problem
Hi guys,

I was using Slackware 12.2 for quite a long time, dualbooting with XP (where slack and XP were on separate harddisks sda and sdb) using the following lilo.conf

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
# Start LILO global section
# Append any additional kernel parameters:
append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
boot = /dev/sda
map = /boot/map
#message = /boot/message

# Boot BMP Image.
# Bitmap in BMP format: 640x480x8
# bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
# Menu colors (foreground, background, shadow, highlighted
# foreground, highlighted background, highlighted shadow):
# bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
# Location of the option table: location x, location y, number of
# columns, lines per column (max 15), "spill" (this is how many
# entries must be in the first column before the next begins to
# be used. We don't specify it here, as there's just one column.
# bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
# Timer location x, timer location y, foreground color,
# background color, shadow color.
# bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255

# Standard menu.
# Or, you can comment out the bitmap menu above and
# use a boot message with the standard menu:
#message = /boot/boot_message.txt

# Wait until the timeout to boot (if commented out, boot the
# first entry immediately):
# Timeout before the first entry boots.
# This is given in tenths of a second, so 600 for every minute:
timeout = 50
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda2
label = "Linux"
# Linux bootable partition config ends
other = /dev/sdb1
label = "Windows"
table = /dev/sdb

It worked perfectly as both XP and slack were separated from each other, making it easier to manage the XP. But after I replaced Slackware 12.2 on sda with 13.0 I can't use this dualboot configuration. If I select XP in the boot menu there is a message "loading windows" but then it stops. Why the lilo.conf from 12.2 doesn't work for dualboot in 13.0 ??? Were there any significant chnages in LILo which may cause this problem ?
Note again that XP and Slackware are on two separate HDs and the map-drive commands are used to fool XP so that it thinks it's the master (all worked fine with 12.2)
Also note that XP is not corrupted because when I change my BIOS settings so that XP boots first, it works fine.

Any ideas where the problem might by located ?

Many thanks

adriv 09-25-2009 04:09 PM

I suspect something went wrong when installing lilo.
I'd reinstall and run lilo (first back-up your config file, you never know...).

vik 09-25-2009 08:15 PM

EDIT: try what the people below advocate, their answers are much better.

acummings 09-26-2009 02:00 AM

I thought that fools the bios ie "we boot the 2nd drive as if it is the first drive" (thus not need to change the bios setting in order to get the boot order of booting the 2nd drive).

I've got a 2 HD pentium III I did that with.

An internal scsi HD Slack 12.2

An external scsi HD Win XP

the scsi id numbers make it the norm to boot internal HD first

Slack was already on internal. Rarely use XP. Internal drive always runs. External only is on when I switch it on.

Yep, trick bios into beleiving it's booting the first drive (when boot the external HD)

Did you look at man pages for lilo and lilo.conf in Slack 13.0?

Perhaps a slight change made here you need enter something slightly different in lilo.conf ?? And, don't forget to run /sbin/lilo

Good luck!


and_ru 09-26-2009 06:51 AM

Try to examine lilo -v 5 output. It will show you all the errors.

Also try

other = /dev/sdb1
label = "Windows"
table = /dev/sdb

pixel01 09-26-2009 05:38 PM

The problem is solved now. I'd had to disconnect SATA cable of my XP HD before the whole thing was reinstalled (disabling HD in BIOS is not enough)
So I installed LILO with only linux disk connected, then connected XP disk again and updated lilo.conf so that it looked like in my first post and it works fine.

I have to say that although slackware setup program is certainly great and flexible, the installation of LILO is the weakest part of it in my opinion. Sometimes the installation fails without any error message box (this occasionaly happens in both simple and expert mode) and then it's hard find out what happened.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using Slackware 13.0,
thanks to all.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.