LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   slackpkg vs. third-party package repository (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackpkg-vs-third-party-package-repository-4175427364/)

chrisretusn 01-10-2020 10:18 PM

Just going to toss this out. I am using slackpkg-2.84.0_beta5-noarch-1_rlw with slackpkg+-1.7.0-noarch-10mt

This is my PKGS_PRIOROTY in slackpkgplus.conf:

PKGS_PRIORITY=( nonslack slackpkgplus multilib ktown restricted slackware64:id3lib alienbob )

nonslack is my repository. I use Alien Bob's ffmpeg. There is an ide3lib package in Slackware64 and alienbob, the slackware64:id3lib before alienbob ensures that the slackware package is not overwritten by the alienbob package.

If I wanted to keep the slackware ffmpeg packages I would write my PKGS_PRIORITY as follows:

PKGS_PRIORITY=( nonslack slackpkgplus multilib ktown slackware64:ffmpeg restricted slackware64:id3lib alienbob )

First I've heard of using SLACKPKGPLUS_repo pattern, cool idea. I don't believe is documented though. Correct me if I am wrong.

gegechris99 01-11-2020 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisretusn (Post 6076933)
First I've heard of using SLACKPKGPLUS_repo pattern, cool idea. I don't believe is documented though. Correct me if I am wrong.

That's right, this feature is not officially documented. I found it in this LQ thread.

joenew 01-12-2020 03:30 PM

Thanks for your clarification! :)

zerouno 02-18-2020 12:24 PM

@all

I restarted development since slackware 15.0 is not far away and a I want to release slackpkg 1.8 before it.

This is the topic.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-a-4175669481/

currently slackpkg+-1.7.0d1-noarch-7mt.txz is available

to install it put in slackpkgplus.conf
MIRRORPLUS['slackpkgplus']=http://slakfinder.org/slackpkg+dev/

please test and comment in the appropriate topic.

Thankyou.

regdub 08-14-2020 01:33 PM

Hi

Using slackpkg+-1.7.0-noarch-10mt on Current, I notice display is a bit messed up in konsole with TERM=xterm.

I think it appeared with last aaa_terminfo/ncurses update.

TERM=konsole seems OK with slackpkg+ but is not OK with vim (freeze).

I see there are several konsole variants in /usr/share/terminfo/k.

Does someone use one of them or something else ?

eduardr 08-14-2020 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by regdub (Post 6155898)
Hi

Using slackpkg+-1.7.0-noarch-10mt on Current, I notice display is a bit messed up in konsole with TERM=xterm.

I think it appeared with last aaa_terminfo/ncurses update.

I'm seeing problems also when using xterm-256color. Something changed due to aaa_terminfo-6.2_20200801-x86_64-1.txz and ncurses-6.2_20200801-x86_64-1.txz.

slackpkg with slackpkg+ enabled looks messed up:

regdub 08-14-2020 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduardr (Post 6155921)
I'm seeing problems also when using xterm-256color. Something changed due to aaa_terminfo-6.2_20200801-x86_64-1.txz and ncurses-6.2_20200801-x86_64-1.txz.

slackpkg with slackpkg+ enabled looks messed up:

Thanks for testing.
xterm-256color gives me the same display than xterm, but not the same than your attachment.

You're not using konsole4, I presume.

Paulo2 08-14-2020 03:11 PM

I had the same problem here and for some reason $TERM in konsole was reverted to 'xterm'.
I edited again to 'konsole' in Settings->Edit current profile->Environment->Edit then paste 'TERM=konsole' and OK.
This works for me.

regdub 08-14-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo2 (Post 6155935)
I had the same problem here and for some reason $TERM in konsole was reverted to 'xterm'.
I edited again to 'konsole' in Settings->Edit current profile->Environment->Edit then paste 'TERM=konsole' and OK.
This works for me.

Yes, but beware of other effects like vim freeze on second launch.

What I've done for now is modify my alias for slackpkg :
Code:

alias slackpkg='TERM=$(echo $TERM | sed "s/xterm/konsole/") ionice -c3 nice -n19 slackpkg'
So, running slackpkg in a VT is still ok.

eduardr 08-14-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regdub (Post 6155932)
Thanks for testing.
xterm-256color gives me the same display than xterm, but not the same than your attachment.

You're not using konsole4, I presume.

I'm using MacOS Terminal (xterm-256color) ssh to Linux.

Paulo2 08-14-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regdub (Post 6155941)
Yes, but beware of other effects like vim freeze on second launch.

What I've done for now is modify my alias for slackpkg :
Code:

alias slackpkg='TERM=$(echo $TERM | sed "s/xterm/konsole/") ionice -c3 nice -n19 slackpkg'
So, running slackpkg in a VT is still ok.

Thanks, I wasn't remembering that. Indeed vim freezes on second launch, sometimes on first.

I had this problem long time ago and the solution was setting $TERM to konsole I think,
and I run vim a lot so at that time I think TERM=konsole was working.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...kg-4175626618/


ps- I think we are off-topic, maybe a new thread would be good.

regdub 08-14-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo2 (Post 6155947)
Thanks, I wasn't remembering that. Indeed vim freezes on second launch, sometimes on first.

I had this problem long time ago and the solution was setting $TERM to konsole I think,
and I run vim a lot so at that time I think TERM=konsole was working.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...kg-4175626618/


ps- I think we are off-topic, maybe a new thread would be good.

Thanks for the link. Interesting.
So, I tested quickly TERM=xterm-color and for me it solves slackpkg+ display and doesn't have effect on vim (I don't use Midnight Commander).
I'm going to try it.

Since the issue doesn't happen with SLACKPKGPLUS=off and /usr/doc/slackpkg+-1.7.0/README send users here, there are chances people with slackpkg+ 1.7 issues come here for workarounds.
Maybe zerouno prefers all versions talks on the 1.8 topic, but it's not the way I understood his announce.

kaott 08-30-2020 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reposting/moving this to the correct place.

I am running Slackware-current with slackpkg 2.84.0_beta9 and slackpkg+ 1.7.0d1 and the functionality of both seem OK.

However, slackpkg+ (both the stable and dev version) break the dialog interface when running over mosh (https://mosh.org/), but it works fine over regular ssh. I have adjusted the TERM variable a bit, but change that only changed the amount it was broken.

For completeness I am using the st terminal, however the same behavior was encountered in xterm as well.

I had some time to do some further debugging, but I can't seem to replicate this outside of slackpkg+. I ran many of the examples that are available in the dialog source code and they all worked correctly. I then copied the dialog temp files that are created when slackpkg runs and tried to isolate it to no avail. Specifically I was running:
Code:

dialog  --title "TEST" \
  --backtitle "slackpkg 1234" \
  --checklist "Choose packages to TEST:" \
  19 70 13 \
  --file dialog.tmp 2>dialog.out

Which should be similar to the broken dialog command in the attachment. It appears to be some weird interaction with mosh, but I couldn't find anything on their github issue tracker or elsewhere around the web.

Attached is a screenshot of the behavior.

chrisretusn 08-31-2020 04:25 AM

Testing with Konsole.

I am not seeing this on slackware64-current with Alien Bob's latest ktown installed with slackpkg - version 2.84.0_beta9 / slackpkg+ 1.7.0d1 installed.

I am not seeing this on clean slackware-current and slackware64-current installs with slackpkg version 2.84.0_beta9 or 2.84.0 installed.

I DO see this issue with slackpkg and slackpkg+ installed on the two clean installs with both slackpkg+ version 1.7.0d1 and 1.7.0

kaott 08-31-2020 12:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did some more testing. Mosh seems to set the TERM variable to xterm-256color, and if I change my TERM variable (tried konsole, and st-256color and got the same result):
Code:

# TERM=konsole slackpkg clean-system
# TERM=st-256color slackpkg clean-system

then I now get the first attachment.

I tried using xterm with mosh to see if that would fix it and I got the 2nd attachment.


I suspect the following is due to some incompatibilities with st as it works properly under xterm. If I set my TERM variable to xterm-256color (while using st, works fine under xterm) on my local machine (slackware64-current) I get the 3rd attachment. Obviously, it works properly when the TERM is set appropriately (st-256color).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.