LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Slack installed, Xfce up, how to enable wireless intel 3965?


First time for Slackware here. I'm in an Xfce desktop on my Asus A8js, and I can't find the network manager it uses. Do I need to activate a module for wireless? How can I get my wireless up and running with this hardware (intel 3945)...thanks, I'm a bit lost right now. I saw a wiki page on wireless, but it was a lot of greek to me...I just want to set up via GUI if I can....Wicd? what? thanks !!

EDIT: iwlwifi, but need guidance...I can't even find a network manager in Xfce :?

Last edited by joutlancpa; 04-04-2009 at 10:39 PM.
 
Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,716
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481
down load this from slackware extra install it and reboot. the program wicd. down load to a file open a terminal and cd (change directory) to the folder and then assume root type su then push enter the type root password then type pkgtool and install the wicd program from that directory.
Now reboot your machine now you will find an icon top right use it to configure your wifi card.
otherwise read the wifi tutorial on slackeware in this site.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
janhe
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Belgium
Distribution: slackware64 14.2, slackware 13.1
Posts: 371

Rep: Reputation: 54
If you want your wireless to "just work" at boot time, you also can edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

This is the part of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf I've edited:
Code:
## Example config information for wlan0.  Uncomment the lines you need and fill
## in your info.  (You may not need all of these for your wireless network)
IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
IPADDR[4]=""
NETMASK[4]=""
USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[4]=""
WLAN_WPA[4]="wpa_supplicant"
This is my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (with some xxx's instead of the keys):
Code:
# See /usr/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7/wpa_supplicant.conf.sample
# for many more options that you can use in this file.

# This line enables the use of wpa_cli which is used by rc.wireless
# if possible (to check for successful association)
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
# By default, only root (group 0) may use wpa_cli
ctrl_interface_group=102  #this is the wpa group on my computer, members of this group can choose wireless networks etc.
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

## example:
## WPA protected network, supply your own ESSID and WPAPSK here:
#network={
#  scan_ssid=0
#  ssid="your_essid_here"
#  proto=WPA
#  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#  pairwise=CCMP TKIP
#  group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
#  psk=your_psk_here
#}

# My home network:
# is encrypted with wpa2
# priortity defines in which order it should try to connect to the networks:
# connect to the ones with a ssid given first
network={
        ssid="herrygers"
        psk=xxx
        priority=2
}

# Wireless network in my highschool:
# has no encryption or authentication:
network={
  ssid="KHK Internet"
  key_mgmt=NONE
  priority=2
}

# standard option to connect to a unknown unencrypted network when the others are unavailable:
# Plaintext connection (no WPA, no IEEE 802.1X),
# nice for hotel/airport types of WiFi network.
# You'll need a recent version of wireless-tools for this!

network={
  key_mgmt=NONE
  priority=0
}
If you have wpa encrypted networks, you can generate the section you have to put in wpa_supplicant.conf with:
Code:
wpa_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase>
You can use wpa_gui from inside xfce to change networks etc.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
thanks guys! I'm catching on now...so I'll learn to crawl first, I'll put on "Wicked" and get online...then take a look at those file settings...reminds me of the early days on NT, i.e. modding the RAS connection or whatever manually to get online
 
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
ok guys...I cd'd into the directory where the wicd tar file is, logged in as root, run pkgtool and selected the first option to install the packages in that directory, hit enter, and it quickly goes right back to the command prompt without installing anything. Do I need to untar this first? what am I doing wrong....I can't find file roller on the system either...lol thanks !!

EDIT: I've rebooted and tried to run wicd, and nada....I'm very familiar with Wicd as it's my netmanager of choice...thx ! Also, I need the network manager because I move my laptop around to different wireless clouds often

Last edited by joutlancpa; 04-05-2009 at 03:27 PM.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
rc nai
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Distribution: Slackware 13.37,14
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 21
Are you sure you installed wicd? You can check at /var/log/packages/ directory.

If you didn't install it yet and if you still have the wicd package, you can safely move it to your /tmp folder. Then go to that folder and su to root and type in installpkg packagename.tgz

For a bit more info on slackware's package system, go here:
http://slackware.com/config/packages.php
 
Old 04-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc nai View Post
Are you sure you installed wicd? You can check at /var/log/packages/ directory.

If you didn't install it yet and if you still have the wicd package, you can safely move it to your /tmp folder. Then go to that folder and su to root and type in installpkg packagename.tgz

For a bit more info on slackware's package system, go here:
http://slackware.com/config/packages.php
No, pkgtool per advice above didn't install it...I was trying to figure out why. I'll move it to the /tmp folder and give it a go that way....why didn't the other method work? I'm not getting anywhere if I don't understand that one....thx !!

EDIT: my wicd pkg ends in .tar....am I supposed to untar this thing first? I don't have file roller on the system...? lol is this a tarred binary?

Last edited by joutlancpa; 04-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
jrecortel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Distribution: slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoid View Post
No, pkgtool per advice above didn't install it...I was trying to figure out why. I'll move it to the /tmp folder and give it a go that way....why didn't the other method work? I'm not getting anywhere if I don't understand that one....thx !!

EDIT: my wicd pkg ends in .tar....am I supposed to untar this thing first? I don't have file roller on the system...? lol is this a tarred binary?
you can get the wicd tgz file here:
http://packages.slackware.it/package...k12.2#download

there is no need to move it in your /tmp directory. just install it using installpkg as root(obviously)and its done.

Last edited by jrecortel; 04-05-2009 at 10:34 PM.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecortel View Post
you can get the wicd tgz file here:
http://packages.slackware.it/package...k12.2#download

there is no need to move it in your /tmp directory. just install it using installpkg as root(obviously)and its done.or if you prefer gui, use the kpackage.
That did the trick...I'm finally online...nvidia should be a breeze, BUT:

my permissions are narfed up...it's asking me for a password to restart, then telling me it's the wrong password...so I can't reboot...where can I go change my permissions to what is normal for a user?

thanks
 
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
jrecortel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Distribution: slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoid View Post
That did the trick...I'm finally online...nvidia should be a breeze, BUT:

my permissions are narfed up...it's asking me for a password to restart, then telling me it's the wrong password...so I can't reboot

thanks
what is the program that has a wrong permission? type in:
Code:
$ su
# init 6
to reboot.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecortel View Post
what is the program that has a wrong permission? type in:
Code:
$ su
# init 6
to reboot.
When I go to the Xfce menu and select 'quit' and then select 'restart', it asks for a password...when I key in my root password, it tells me it's not correct and grays out the restart and quit option. I've never seen this. Also, I can even mount a flash drive unless I'm root...I want to change all that. I have no clue in Slack

Also, I'm online now...does Slack use a package manager? I need to install some things
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
jrecortel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Distribution: slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoid View Post
When I go to the Xfce menu and select 'quit' and then select 'restart', it asks for a password...when I key in my root password, it tells me it's not correct and grays out the restart and quit option. I've never seen this. Also, I can even mount a flash drive unless I'm root...I want to change all that. I have no clue in Slack

Also, I'm online now...does Slack use a package manager? I need to install some things
i only use KDE in slackware. i already have zenwalk if i want xfce.

use installpkg or slackpkg to install your program.but if what you mean to say is if slackware support dependency checking like those in debian, no.you have to install the dependencies yourself.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecortel View Post
i only use KDE in slackware. i already have zenwalk if i want xfce.

use installpkg or slackpkg to install your program.but if what you mean to say is if slackware support dependency checking like those in debian, no.you have to install the dependencies yourself.
Hmmm....I've used and loved Zenwalk...have 6 on a CD I knew that about the dependencies...I'm just trying to figure out how everything works in general...so packages are all command line? I don't know to get into users and group settings...I'm OK in Zenwalk, maybe that's where I should be I used KDE4 in Kubuntu 9.04 and like like it....what the command line to install KDE4 in Slack? In debian it's something like apt-get install kde-core or something like that. thanks...also, I couldn't compile my nvidia driver...it gave me an error...but at least I'm online
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
jrecortel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Distribution: slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoid View Post
Hmmm....I've used and loved Zenwalk...have 6 on a CD I knew that about the dependencies...I'm just trying to figure out how everything works in general...so packages are all command line? I don't know to get into users and group settings...I'm OK in Zenwalk, maybe that's where I should be I used KDE4 in Kubuntu 9.04 and like like it....what the command line to install KDE4 in Slack? In debian it's something like apt-get install kde-core or something like that. thanks...also, I couldn't compile my nvidia driver...it gave me an error...but at least I'm online
i use kpackage to install whenever i build a packages from slackbuild.no particular reason
from where did you get your nvidia package?i have a nvidia gforce fx 5500 and i build the nvidia-legacy173-driver and nvidia-legacy173-kernel from slackbuilds for my graphic card.the one from nvidia website didnt work for me.
if you want to use kde4 in slackware, you have to move to -current.
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
joutlancpa
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Scientific Linux 6 x64
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecortel View Post
i use kpackage to install whenever i build a packages from slackbuild.no particular reason
from where did you get your nvidia package?i have a nvidia gforce fx 5500 and i build the nvidia-legacy173-driver and nvidia-legacy173-kernel from slackbuilds for my graphic card.the one from nvidia website didnt work for me.
if you want to use kde4 in slackware, you have to move to -current.
I got the nvidia driver from the link in the Sticky on this forum entitled "this is how I do everything"....I'm thinking reinstalling...I have the wrong mouse module and the wheel isn't working, driving me crazy....lol or, just go to ZW6

EDIT: corrected the mouse with an xorg.conf mod...still need nvidia and a command to install synaptic

Last edited by joutlancpa; 04-06-2009 at 12:17 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to enable intel pro wireless networking madhu.ravs Linux - Newbie 1 12-04-2008 06:16 AM
Linksys Wireless network card installed. Problem is how to enable slackedone Linux - Wireless Networking 6 11-29-2007 07:37 AM
intel 3945 wireless configure on slack 11 mustafa Slackware 5 05-28-2007 10:35 AM
slack 10.0 intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 pgrimes Linux - Wireless Networking 1 10-06-2004 10:40 AM
Just installed Slack 9 need wireless help termite Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 09-27-2003 08:29 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration