LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

View Poll Results: Should future releases of Slackware include ESR versions of Firefox and Thunderbird?
Yes 60 63.16%
No 35 36.84%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,409

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Should future releases of Slackware include ESR versions of Firefox and Thunderbird ?


Hi,

I'm overall quite happy with Slackware, and I have a tiny suggestion to make here: why not replace the "general public" versions of Firefox and Thunderbird by their ESR counterparts ? In my humble opinion, this would "fit" the spirit of Slackware more, in the sense that the approach is more conservative, support for each release is about a year and a half, updates are simpler to manage (10.0.7 to 10.0.8, then to 10.0.9, and so on) while keeping all the add-ons compatible.

Here, I'm using FF and TB ESR since 13.37 and 14.0, built from slightly altered official SlackBuilds. Both work without any problems, and maintenance is a breeze.

So, I'm curious about your opinion. I've added a public poll to this post.

Cheers,

Niki

Last edited by kikinovak; 11-27-2012 at 08:24 AM.
 
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,231

Rep: Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828
I guess it all boils down to how well the mozilla devs maintain the ESR. The general release may be subject to a bunch of new bugs, but it'll also get all the latest fixes too. How much effort will be put into backporting them to the ESR? My gut feeling is that I'm better off following the general releases, but I'm not a heavy plugin/extension user so the api breakages don't really have much of an impact on me.

I would have clicked "Don't know" if the option had been there.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
I vote for ESR. I've tried Firefox ESR for a few months and haven't found any issues. I'd say it is safer to use ESR than the regular releases, especially because mozilla likes to shove these general releases out the door as quickly as possible even with major bugs.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
dlachausse
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Personally, I like the rapid releases of Firefox. Also as GazL pointed out, I'm not sure how well bugfixes get backported to the ESR releases.

That's just my couple of pennies, though. Really, it's not a deal breaker for me either way. I've been gravitating towards Chrome lately anyway.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Cultist
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 775

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlachausse View Post
Personally, I like the rapid releases of Firefox. Also as GazL pointed out, I'm not sure how well bugfixes get backported to the ESR releases.

That's just my couple of pennies, though. Really, it's not a deal breaker for me either way. I've been gravitating towards Chrome lately anyway.
I'd like to see Chrome replace Firefox as the default browser. I use Chromium personally, but that's probably too bleeding-edge for Slackware's taste. Chrome would be perfect. But if it's a choice between Firefox's latest release and ESR, I'd definitely say ESR.

Last edited by Cultist; 11-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
ottavio
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultist View Post
I'd like to see Chrome replace Firefox as the default browser. I use Chromium personally, but that's probably too bleeding-edge for Slackware's taste. Chrome would be perfect. But if it's a choice between Firefox's latest release and ESR, I'd definitely say ESR.
Slackware cannot legally distribute a Chrome binary package. There is a slackbuild for Chrome in /extra. I would like to see Chromium as the default browser, Firefox ESR in /extra and the standard Firefox dropped altogether.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
Ok, so to put an end to fears and assumptions:

Quote:
he ESR version of Firefox is for use by enterprises, public institutions, universities and other organizations that centrally manage their Firefox deployments. Releases of the ESR will occur once a year, providing these organizations with a version of Firefox that receives security updates but does not make changes to the Web or Firefox Add-ons platform. We have worked with many organizations to ensure that the ESR balances their need for the latest security updates with the desire to have a lighter application certification burden.
http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/01...pport-release/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
tuxbg
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Bulgaria,Varna
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 239

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Hi,

I'm overall quite happy with Slackware, and I have a tiny suggestion to make here: why not replace the "general public" versions of Firefox and Thunderbird by their ESR counterparts ? In my humble opinion, this would "fit" the spirit of Slackware more, in the sense that the approach is more conservative, support for each release is about a year and a half, updates are simpler to manage (10.0.7 to 10.0.8, then to 10.0.9, and so on) while keeping all the add-ons compatible.

Here, I'm using FF and TB ESR since 13.37 and 14.0, built from slightly altered official SlackBuilds. Both work without any problems, and maintenance is a breeze.

So, I'm curious about your opinion. I've added a public poll to this post.

Cheers,

Niki
Could you upload your slackbuild,for mozilla esr
 
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,409

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbg View Post
Could you upload your slackbuild,for mozilla esr

The SlackBuilds for the l10n packages only build french and german language packs, but they can easily be edited for other languages.

I'm lagging behind one or two minor versions, but then again, just change the version number in the script for the latest and safest.


Last edited by kikinovak; 11-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
xj25vm
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 260

Rep: Reputation: 16
I'm fed up as well with the quick release cycle of both FF and TB lately. I've nothing against them releasing daily versions if they want - but keep them on minor version numbers. There has always been a very good reason why we had major and minor version numbers. This madness with changing major version numbers faster than socks (the wooly types - not the others ) and breaking all sorts of things in the process is just a senseless industry fad. I hope some reason is restored sooner rather than later. Open Source / Free Software didn't use to suffer so much from the smokes, mirrors, trickery and self servitude of marketing departments - and instead concentrated on the real needs of users. That, unfortunately, seems to be changing.
 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
guanx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,014

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
I guess it all boils down to how well the mozilla devs maintain the ESR. The general release may be subject to a bunch of new bugs, but it'll also get all the latest fixes too. How much effort will be put into backporting them to the ESR? My gut feeling is that I'm better off following the general releases, but I'm not a heavy plugin/extension user so the api breakages don't really have much of an impact on me.

I would have clicked "Don't know" if the option had been there.
I am not quite fond of the security fixes, if you meant this. I simply don't like things be broken every now and then.

Had to switch to esr after upgrading to Slackware-14.0 because nothing could prevent Firefox 15 from crashing on my machine. (Of course I tried creating new profiles.)
 
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
mats_b_tegner
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 46
I think it would be nice to include ESR SlackBuild-scripts in /extra. That way users have a choice.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,409

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mats_b_tegner View Post
I think it would be nice to include ESR SlackBuild-scripts in /extra. That way users have a choice.
I know the guys from SlackBuilds.org don't generally accept builds that replace existing Slackware packages in another version. I wonder if they would make an exception for these two.
 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware-14.0 on a Lenovo T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
I know the guys from SlackBuilds.org don't generally accept builds that replace existing Slackware packages in another version. I wonder if they would make an exception for these two.
Just ask
 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
D1ver
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 527
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
I wouldn't mind seeing them in /extra.
 
  


Reply

Tags
esr, firefox, thunderbird


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Download Mozilla Firefox 17.0 ESR for Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 3 11-21-2012 11:15 AM
Request: Mozilla Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) for Slackware kikinovak Slackware 4 07-18-2012 11:24 AM
Should ProFTPD be removed from future Slackware releases? rg3 Slackware 20 12-31-2010 06:06 PM
Why hasn't the Slackware Security page been updated to include the latest Firefox? Maestro485 Slackware 7 10-07-2010 02:14 PM
XFCE group in future Slackware releases? amiga32 Slackware 5 03-03-2010 07:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration