LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
zerouno
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 250

Rep: Reputation: 68
seamonkey in ld.so.conf


Why /usr/lib/seamonkey in /etc/ld.so.conf ?
Now libnss3 and other are in mozilla-nss packages, in /usr/lib

If I install some packages as chromium or similar, ldd tell me /urs/lib/seamonkey/libnss3 instead /usr/lib/libnss3

Also, I think that seamonkey-solibs is a no more useful package becouse deprecated from mozilla-nss
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,636

Rep: Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730
I have recently wondered this as well? Anyone know why?
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 836

Rep: Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620
There are several libraries in seamonkey that aren't provided elsewhere in Slackware, and that someone _might_ be using. The problem seems to be that the paths in ld.so.conf are checked before the preconfigured paths. Anyone know of a way to have /lib{,64} and /usr/lib{,64} checked first? I suppose those could also be listed in ld.so.conf first, although that seems a bit hackish.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 688

Rep: Reputation: 274Reputation: 274Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
There are several libraries in seamonkey that aren't provided elsewhere in Slackware, and that someone _might_ be using.
But there is no stable ABI inside Seamonkey, so every security update of this browser could break that stuff.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,636

Rep: Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730
Thanks for the update. As a side note Chrome appears to need the seamonkey-solibs package. I do not know why but if you remove it and only have the libnss libs provided by mozilla-nss it will not start, stating "NSS >= 3.14.3 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer". This is despite the fact that ldd'ing the Chrome binaries with only mozilla-nss installed (and semonkey-solibs removed) does not result in any "not found" lines.

P.S. See also this thread.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 688

Rep: Reputation: 274Reputation: 274Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
Thanks for the update. As a side note Chrome appears to need the seamonkey-solibs package. I do not know why but if you remove it and only have the libnss libs provided by mozilla-nss it will not start, stating "NSS >= 3.14.3 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer". This is despite the fact that ldd'ing the Chrome binaries with only mozilla-nss installed (and semonkey-solibs removed) does not result in any "not found" lines.
Seamonkey, Firefox and and Thunderbird already have their own copy of libnss and friends, so I think it doesn't harm to provide Chrome with its own copy, too. It could be included into the google-chrome SlackBuild to make it proof for future upgrades of Chrome.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 836

Rep: Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
Seamonkey, Firefox and and Thunderbird already have their own copy of libnss and friends, so I think it doesn't harm to provide Chrome with its own copy, too. It could be included into the google-chrome SlackBuild to make it proof for future upgrades of Chrome.
How would this be different than the already provided system mozilla-nss package?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,636

Rep: Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730
Seamonkey, Firefox and and Thunderbird bundle them themselves. Chrome does not. Additionally Chrome updates every six weeks anyway and could potentially have its dependencies change each time (this seems to have happened in the other thread), so I am not sure if that idea actually helps.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 836

Rep: Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620Reputation: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
Thanks for the update. As a side note Chrome appears to need the seamonkey-solibs package. I do not know why but if you remove it and only have the libnss libs provided by mozilla-nss it will not start, stating "NSS >= 3.14.3 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer". This is despite the fact that ldd'ing the Chrome binaries with only mozilla-nss installed (and semonkey-solibs removed) does not result in any "not found" lines.

P.S. See also this thread.
It's working here on x86_64 -current with both seamonkey and seamonkey-solibs removed. Also, adding /lib64 and /usr/lib64 at the top of ld.so.conf makes it properly prefer the mozilla-nss libraries in /usr/lib64. Probably that should be added to ld.so.conf... worst side effect would be that a missing library would be searched for twice by the linker.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,636

Rep: Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730
Oh man, I cannot read! Slackware 14 has mozilla-nss version 3.13.5 but 3.14.3 is needed by Chrome. I do not know how I misread but I thought that the version in Slackware 14 was new enough. Ok, then everything makes perfect sense to me know.

Also, glad to hear that -current works (since it also has 3.14.3 ).
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,636

Rep: Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
adding /lib64 and /usr/lib64 at the top of ld.so.conf makes it properly prefer the mozilla-nss libraries in /usr/lib64. Probably that should be added to ld.so.conf... worst side effect would be that a missing library would be searched for twice by the linker.
Sounds like a plan.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,094

Rep: Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Anyone know of a way to have /lib{,64} and /usr/lib{,64} checked first?
unsure with slack , but it should be the same .

i export LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the order i need them read in in /etc/profile.local ( RHEL )

Code:
......

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64;/usr/lib;/DATA/SL6/lib64"

....
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
garpu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
Oh man, I cannot read! Slackware 14 has mozilla-nss version 3.13.5 but 3.14.3 is needed by Chrome. I do not know how I misread but I thought that the version in Slackware 14 was new enough. Ok, then everything makes perfect sense to me know.

Also, glad to hear that -current works (since it also has 3.14.3 ).
Heh, I did the same thing yesterday morning. I compiled mozilla-nss from /current, thinking it would need that one.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 688

Rep: Reputation: 274Reputation: 274Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruario View Post
Seamonkey, Firefox and and Thunderbird bundle them themselves. Chrome does not. Additionally Chrome updates every six weeks anyway and could potentially have its dependencies change each time (this seems to have happened in the other thread), so I am not sure if that idea actually helps.
Google-chrome-pam-solibs isn't needed anymore, now it would be a google-chrome-mozilla-nss package. Chrome continues to be a moving target, but at least it doesn't depend on a random browser version installed elsewhere in the system anymore...
 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
wildwizard
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Oz
Distribution: slackware64-14.0
Posts: 749

Rep: Reputation: 225Reputation: 225Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
It's working here on x86_64 -current with both seamonkey and seamonkey-solibs removed. Also, adding /lib64 and /usr/lib64 at the top of ld.so.conf makes it properly prefer the mozilla-nss libraries in /usr/lib64. Probably that should be added to ld.so.conf... worst side effect would be that a missing library would be searched for twice by the linker.
If you want you can remove the default search path from ld by rebuilding it with "nodefaultlib" then you must ensure that ld.so.conf has /lib /usr/lib else they will not be checked.

As for someone else's suggestion re LD_LIBRARY_PATH this is used at run time only and is ignored for SUID/SGID programs and really should not be set by the distro maintainer.

Good practice has the distro maintainer set /etc/ld.so.conf correctly so that everything runs correctly and users should not have to nor should they change it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[BUG] in seamonkey 2.9 slackbuild; does not create usr/include/seamonkey-2.9/nss -> . zerouno Slackware 5 05-02-2012 03:21 AM
Seamonkey and Seamonkey libs update for Slackware 13.1? Lufbery Slackware 7 08-05-2011 03:00 AM
seamonkey Polanski Linux - Networking 2 11-15-2007 10:54 PM
Seamonkey ?? mickeyboa Fedora 6 08-27-2007 12:26 PM
LXer: SeaMonkey 1.0.6 and SeaMonkey 1.1 Beta Released LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-09-2006 02:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration