LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #16
audriusk
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Klaipėda, Lithuania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 340

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181

I don't have Flash installed (for security reasons; the darn thing has more holes than Swiss cheese) and I don't recall having any problems watching YouTube videos in the last few months.

"fancy F in a circle" sounds a lot like Flash. Try not to install it when you do a fresh install of the system and see if it helps.

You forgot to tell us what video formats are supported (and not) by your Firefox according to https://www.youtube.com/html5 page.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusk View Post
I don't have Flash installed (for security reasons; the darn thing has more holes than Swiss cheese) and I don't recall having any problems watching YouTube videos in the last few months.

"fancy F in a circle" sounds a lot like Flash. Try not to install it when you do a fresh install of the system and see if it helps.

You forgot to tell us what video formats are supported (and not) by your Firefox according to https://www.youtube.com/html5 page.
O' Tay - this what I got, fresh install - checked youtube no issues. installed just terminology via sboinstall, got issues - it now is showing me an arrow to click on in the video where that F shows to get the video to work. Already --- I think my plugin is still there let me yank that out and see what up.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #18
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
http://imgur.com/a/ckmwE

this is the image I am getting - I pulled flash plugin out and it is back to this again . The only install I did afterwords is installing terminology via sboinstall (sbotools) then it went to where that F is at it shows an arrow instead that I had to click on to get it to load and show.

Now that the flash plugin is no longer there it is showing me that F again

put plugin back it worked having to click the arrow.
installed mhsetroot that installs imLib2 as well
no more video just that F in that photo link

Code:
root@slackwhere⚡️/home/userx⚡️# sboinstall SDL2
SDL2 (SDL2-2.0.5-x86_64-1) is already installed.

Last edited by BW-userx; 03-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
audriusk
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Klaipėda, Lithuania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 340

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Try renaming your ~/.mozilla directory to something else:
Code:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.orig
This will force Firefox to create a fresh profile. It could be that your current profile is messed up in some way.

If you'll want to get back to your old profile:
Code:
rm -rf ~/.mozilla
mv ~/.mozilla.orig ~/.mozilla
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusk View Post
Try renaming your ~/.mozilla directory to something else:
Code:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.orig
This will force Firefox to create a fresh profile. It could be that your current profile is messed up in some way.

If you'll want to get back to your old profile:
Code:
rm -rf ~/.mozilla
mv ~/.mozilla.orig ~/.mozilla
you know I did that already, it worked until I killed firefox then reopened it then it was back to youtube not showing videos again.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Webm is a container format but the codecs used seem to be VP9, VP8, Opus, aac, Vorbis and h264 (I'm actually looking at the codec used in a few videos).

Could there be an issue with terminology?

Try bleachbit. Its what Hillary used on her email servers! It will get rid of those pesky caches.
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...arch=bleachbit
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
Webm is a container format but the codecs used seem to be VP9, VP8, Opus, aac, Vorbis and h264 (I'm actually looking at the codec used in a few videos).

Could there be an issue with terminology?

Try bleachbit. Its what Hillary used on her email servers! It will get rid of those pesky caches.
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...arch=bleachbit
lmao so Hillary is your hero? lol quick get rid of all traces of emails I just got a be president. I just got a' my hubby got no more books in him to support me -- and I'll be out of a job soon if I don't make president.
Code:
 exercise caution and review
the output before committing any changes to disk.
haha that means I got a sit and read everything before saying ok... oh my..

Quote:
Could there be an issue with terminology?
seeings how I just started using that again and this was doing this before I even started using terminology -- it'd seem to fall into the NO why should it. it seems anything outside of the Install interferes with it to me.

Last edited by BW-userx; 03-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
audriusk
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Klaipėda, Lithuania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 340

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
Webm is a container format but the codecs used seem to be VP9, VP8, Opus, aac, Vorbis and h264 (I'm actually looking at the codec used in a few videos).

Could there be an issue with terminology?
You're right about WebM being a container format, but (according to Wikipedia) WebM can only contain VP8/VP9 video and Vorbis/Opus audio streams, so I was using the term "WebM" loosely to mean these codecs. For H.264 video and AAC audio the container format used (at least by YouTube) is MP4.

Still, this doesn't help BW-userx to solve his problem. And I have no idea how to help him, because it's very hard to understand his posts (at least for me). For whatever reason he communicates very unclearly, ignores some of the questions asked, and all this make me feel frustrated.

I stated this previously and I'll state it again -- on a fresh Slackware (14.2 or -current, it doesn't matter) installation using fresh Firefox profile YouTube should work out of the box, at least videos encoded in VP8/VP9 (and most of them are).
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
lmao so Hillary is your hero? lol quick get rid of all traces of emails I just got a be president. I just got a' my hubby got no more books in him to support me -- and I'll be out of a job soon if I don't make president.
No, she actually convinced me to vote for Trump after her Syria no fly zone and anti-Russia antics. I wasn't going to vote for president or vote third party. She pushed her husband and Obama into wars. She is honest when it comes to her war. I didn't want her to shoot down Russian planes. I knew that Trump was going to continue the quagmire in the Middle East using the war on terror related xenophobia as cover for imperial designs that have nothing to do with 9/11 (no change in policy starting with the Iraq war). I enjoy how he has the whole western part of the Empire in an uproar but he isn't going to do anything and he isn't going to turn the American Empire into a successful business. He is trying to get other countries in the American Empire to fund the imperial burden rather than just use the US. The Gulf States might pay for the destruction of Iran and what they view as heretics, but the Western Europeans aren't going to pay their share of the imperial cost while they push for nuclear war with Russia. The Germans recently told Trump that they aren't going to pay their 2% while the US is wasting 3% on NATO.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #25
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusk View Post
You're right about WebM being a container format, but (according to Wikipedia) WebM can only contain VP8/VP9 video and Vorbis/Opus audio streams, so I was using the term "WebM" loosely to mean these codecs. For H.264 video and AAC audio the container format used (at least by YouTube) is MP4.

Still, this doesn't help BW-userx to solve his problem. And I have no idea how to help him, because it's very hard to understand his posts (at least for me). For whatever reason he communicates very unclearly, ignores some of the questions asked, and all this make me feel frustrated.

I stated this previously and I'll state it again -- on a fresh Slackware (14.2 or -current, it doesn't matter) installation using fresh Firefox profile YouTube should work out of the box, at least videos encoded in VP8/VP9 (and most of them are).
You are right, I just think he needs to verify if its a Firefox problem or is it something else. Is only Firefox doing this? Seamonkey work? Mplayer? Xine?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #26
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
I do not know what I am not conveying here --

it is this simple I have a fresh install of Slackware 14.2 current. It is now looking like as soon as I install something/anything past what gets installed afterwords youtube no longer plays the video. It just has that fancy F where the video is http://imgur.com/a/ckmwE

I installed Adobe Flash plugin ~/.mozzia/plugins and as it stands right now it will play some videos but only if I click the arrow that now shows up in place of the big F that is in that image.

it seems I am the only one with this issue. Why? I do not know.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
You are right, I just think he needs to verify if its a Firefox problem or is it something else. Is only Firefox doing this? Seamonkey work? Mplayer? Xine?
if I was having issues with these I'd have said something about them too .. fyi But I am checking Monkey not that I want to use that one if it works, if I did what to use that one I'd be using it and not firefox.

I forgot I even had Monkey btw nevertheless it works even after I pulled the flash plugin, and firefox went back to only sowing a F in the black screen again. http://imgur.com/a/ckmwE

Last edited by BW-userx; 03-20-2017 at 09:45 AM.
 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #28
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
What sbopkgs specifically are you installing before Firefox messes up? Are these fresh packages from slackbuilds built on the latest Current?
 
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #29
bassmadrigal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Newport News, VA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,190

Rep: Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161Reputation: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I do not know what I am not conveying here --

it is this simple I have a fresh install of Slackware 14.2 current. It is now looking like as soon as I install something/anything past what gets installed afterwords youtube no longer plays the video. It just has that fancy F where the video is http://imgur.com/a/ckmwE

I installed Adobe Flash plugin ~/.mozzia/plugins and as it stands right now it will play some videos but only if I click the arrow that now shows up in place of the big F that is in that image.

it seems I am the only one with this issue. Why? I do not know.
Is this with your shared home with your Void install? Maybe you should try with a fresh user?

And to verify, it should be in ~/.mozilla/plugins, not ~/.mozzia/plugins
 
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #30
BW-userx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Void Linux / Slackware 14.2
Posts: 4,675

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
What sbopkgs specifically are you installing before Firefox messes up? Are these fresh packages from slackbuilds built on the latest Current?
I do not fully understand that last part - only this I can submit to you is: using sboinstall puling off of https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/ (i do suppose) a fresh build of terminology screwed it up. I am not going to install Slackware again as it stands at this moment. I already re-installed it 4 times over this. just saying every time it works right after the install as soon as I add something else it no longer works. why I do not know. it makes no logical sense whatsoever to me.

sbotools is a precompiled tgz I got saved I do not remember how I got that one, off the sight or slackbuilds I have no /etc/sbotools dir after installing it, as per https://pink-mist.github.io/sbotools...ls.conf.5.html
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Youtube no longer supports Iceweasel Higgsboson Linux - Newbie 44 02-05-2016 05:44 AM
[SOLVED] Youtube comments no longer showing Higgsboson Linux - General 9 04-21-2015 06:18 AM
LXer: Mozilla Firefox 37.0 Officially Released with Native HTML5 YouTube Playback, Firefox 40 Pushed LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-01-2015 02:20 AM
Installed latest Java using rpm, Firefox no longer working sparkly333 Linux - Newbie 2 10-26-2012 03:51 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration