LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   same old problem of nic card and sound card detection in 10.2 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/same-old-problem-of-nic-card-and-sound-card-detection-in-10-2-a-465394/)

brgurung 07-19-2006 12:31 AM

same old problem of nic card and sound card detection in 10.2
 
hi, i tried installing slackware 10.2 today in my PC(dual boot with win xp). installation went fine with x-window configured properly. But i have problem with my sound card and network card.
For sound card, i used 'alsaconf' to configure.... it detects my sound card (snd-hda-intel) and says everything is just fine...but when i play some songs, not even a beep comes......
Another problem is tat it fails to detect my network card (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection)...i tried 'netconfig' (both during installation n afterwards)...after choosing DHCP as an option (among three choices : Static IP, DHCP, loopback) the screen to 'probe for network card' doesn't show up...it directly goes to 'confirm setup complete' menu... when i do 'ifconfig -a' afterwards, it shows only loopback mode enabled....
i even tried uncommenting the related module in rc.modules...but it gives some error while trying to load the module.....
i know these are common question, asked frequently... but can anybody please show me the light? is there any option other than compiling the new kernel?

The_Outlander 07-19-2006 04:18 AM

The e100 module is the correct module for your adapter. It is not listed in rc.modules.

I have the same adapter, and experienced the same problem initially.

Open a terminal and as superuser do;
#modprobe e100

Then do;
#ifconfig

eth0 should show up.

You can then setup your internet connection/network as required.

If modprobe e100 produces errors, then it is not set in your kernel .config file.

Did you compile your own kernel after installing slackware or are you using the 2.4. that comes with slackware.

As far as the sound card is concerned. Just work your way through KDE control panel sound settings and Kmix to make sure that sound is not muted.
Kmix enables you to display the volume control in the tools menu bar. Mixer can be accessed from there.

onebuck 07-19-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brgurung
hi, i tried installing slackware 10.2 today in my PC(dual boot with win xp). installation went fine with x-window configured properly. But i have problem with my sound card and network card.
For sound card, i used 'alsaconf' to configure.... it detects my sound card (snd-hda-intel) and says everything is just fine...but when i play some songs, not even a beep comes......
Another problem is tat it fails to detect my network card (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection)...i tried 'netconfig' (both during installation n afterwards)...after choosing DHCP as an option (among three choices : Static IP, DHCP, loopback) the screen to 'probe for network card' doesn't show up...it directly goes to 'confirm setup complete' menu... when i do 'ifconfig -a' afterwards, it shows only loopback mode enabled....
i even tried uncommenting the related module in rc.modules...but it gives some error while trying to load the module.....
i know these are common question, asked frequently... but can anybody please show me the light? is there any option other than compiling the new kernel?

Hi,

For the eth0 device;
Code:

#dmesg |grep eth      #see if the device is recognized
                      #if so then

#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10      #give eth0 static IP
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 #your gateway
#ping 192.168.0.1                #check gw connection
#ping 72.14.207.99                #ping outside to google.com
#ping google.com                  #check DNS

If you successfully get the eth0 device up static then you could either run netconfig to set /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf or edit the file.

If the device is not recognized then;
Code:

#modprobe e100                  #probe device
#lsmod                          #should see the module
#netconfig                      #setup eth device

You could now ping as in the first example to check the network out.

brgurung 07-19-2006 01:05 PM

hi.....i tried modprobe e100...it worked fine...added it to rc.modules...now i'm able to get connected to internet..thanx a lot guys...

btw, i just wanna ask, is it necessary ( or a good idea) to compile n use new kernel (i.e. 2.6.xx)...i had used sata.i for initial installation instead of bare.i ( which didn't recognize my harddrive)..does that make any difference while installation.....can i use the kernel in cd 2 or its better to download from the net.....n how difficult is the whole process?

thanking you for all the help..this forum is really good...keep it up !!!

onebuck 07-19-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brgurung
hi.....i tried modprobe e100...it worked fine...added it to rc.modules...now i'm able to get connected to internet..thanx a lot guys...

btw, i just wanna ask, is it necessary ( or a good idea) to compile n use new kernel (i.e. 2.6.xx)...i had used sata.i for initial installation instead of bare.i ( which didn't recognize my harddrive)..does that make any difference while installation.....can i use the kernel in cd 2 or its better to download from the net.....n how difficult is the whole process?

thanking you for all the help..this forum is really good...keep it up !!!

Hi,

Glad to hear you got the problem solved.

You should start a new thread for the btw. That way the question will have a subject and could be tagged.

To answer; a kernel can be compiled to customize for the installation. You can trim out what is not needed. File systems can be compiled in therefor no initrd or module is necessary.

As for the testing kernel, go ahead an use. You can work with the kernel and modify to suit your needs. If you want bleeding edge then get the current.

Several good references in my sig, shilo's is a good read.

mfs_bg 03-28-2007 03:15 AM

How about my problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Outlander
The e100 module is the correct module for your adapter. It is not listed in rc.modules.

I have the same adapter, and experienced the same problem initially.

Open a terminal and as superuser do;
#modprobe e100

Then do;
#ifconfig

eth0 should show up.

You can then setup your internet connection/network as required.

If modprobe e100 produces errors, then it is not set in your kernel .config file.

Did you compile your own kernel after installing slackware or are you using the 2.4. that comes with slackware.

As far as the sound card is concerned. Just work your way through KDE control panel sound settings and Kmix to make sure that sound is not muted.
Kmix enables you to display the volume control in the tools menu bar. Mixer can be accessed from there.


I'm also faced with the same problem.. can't detect my network card and sound problem. I'm tried all the tip given but it's not work. I got this message "FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/modules.dep: No such file or directory" . I don't know what it's mean. I'm still new in linux environment.I hope you will help
Thank you

onebuck 03-28-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfs_bg
I'm also faced with the same problem.. can't detect my network card and sound problem. I'm tried all the tip given but it's not work. I got this message "FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.17.13/modules.dep: No such file or directory" . I don't know what it's mean. I'm still new in linux environment.I hope you will help
Thank you

Hi,

Welcome to Slackware and LQ!

You should create a new thread to get more exposure.

Too answer to your problem. Did you load the modules for the 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra?

Read the RELEASE_NOTES.

BTW, check out my sig for some good online reference.

mfs_bg 03-28-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebuck
Hi,

Welcome to Slackware and LQ!

You should create a new thread to get more exposure.

Too answer to your problem. Did you load the modules for the 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra?

Read the RELEASE_NOTES.
BTW, check out my sig for some good online reference.



Thank you...

I'm also using backtrack and red hat(at my office) but i don't know much about it.. i'm just using it's tool(backtrack) for my work. But i'm really need to know more in linux.. I want it to be the only os that i will use .. but not now.. because there are a lot of things that I don't know.. I will learn till that all things that I can do in windows can be done in linux. I hope you will help me

Thank you.

mfs_bg 03-29-2007 03:40 AM

ok ..
after upgrading my kernel to 2.6 and run modprobe e100 my sound, my eth card, my toucpad are being ok..

Thank you


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.